MozillaZine

Pin Tab & Other Tips.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Post Posted August 6th, 2022, 6:59 am

Ebay Top Tip :

On the default SeaMonkey, when you go to Ebay UK or Ebay.com and browse the search results there, you'll notice that when you click on a likely item that a new tab is opened. This can easily result in opening 12+ unneeded new tabs very quickly!

Fix

#1. Enter about:config in addressbar, click past 'warnings' and search for browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction

#2. Right click on that entry and select Modify and enter 0

You're done. Ebay links will now open in the same tab, like any other civilised website.

Tags: Edge itv switch FF33
Metal Lion SeaMonkey Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Frank Lion

Post Posted September 23rd, 2022, 1:34 pm

viewtopic.php?p=14939799#p14939799

It occurred to me that extensions I take for granted and have used for years, back in my Firefox days, may well be ones that people have never even heard of, let alone use.

The LCD Clock mentioned in the link above is such an example, I've used that since about 2007 and, er, just assumed everyone knew about it.

So...here's another gem that I first used from around the same time and it's an extension that, for me, replaces the SeaMonkey Mail Lightning extension, that I just cannot get on with.

It's - ReminderFox Version 2.1.6.3

Go down the Version History list here - https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-GB/th ... minderfox/ and you want that version and no other. I can't remember if you need to put it through the Converter, but I don't think so.

Ignore the Reviews on the link, as they are all from post 2019 when T/Bird changed to using webextensions and messed up a lot of its extension base in doing so. But this version is before all that and will work in SeaMonkey, which is just as well as any web-extension.xpi will not.

It's a great extension, that works both in the mail AND browser parts of SM and I really wouldn't be without it. My version is all fancy with new graphics, etc. but the original version functions just as well.

Very simple to use, but with a great range of options, if you want them -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oBNFlNSnI

Frank :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

v_v

Post Posted September 23rd, 2022, 7:55 pm

Frank,

Thanks for the alert. I had never heard of this extension---just like you stated. I realize that you stated that it "replaces the SeaMonkey Mail Lightning extension, that I just cannot get on with." So I use the Lightning/Lightbird combo for mostly the same purposes (along with several other reminder programs). What would be the benefits, if any, of ReminderFox over the Lightning/Lightbird combo?

v_v

Frank Lion

Post Posted Yesterday, 7:33 am

v_v wrote:What would be the benefits, if any, of ReminderFox over the Lightning/Lightbird combo?

If you've already mastered the learning curve of Lightning, then I suspect you would get minimal benefit by switching to ReminderFox.

However, I've always had a preference for simple and effective extensions and found Lightning over-complicated for my needs and certainly was never impressed by their version specific policy, which meant that after updating SeaMonkey I was often left with nothing, until they deigned to provide a new Lightning version.

Plus, I want my calendar/reminders right in the browser where I am 99% of the time when SM is open and not in Mail or in a Component, like Chatzilla, etc. This means that in addition to Alerts/Notifications etc. that I can just hover over the ReminderFox button at any time and see what's coming up. Plus, the backups (exported to a flashdrive) are fairly human readable. All just my personal preferences.

However, I'm sure for those who need and understand Lightning it is a marvellous extension.

Return to SeaMonkey General