Straight Donations vs SeaMonkey Swag

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
kjojo

Straight Donations vs SeaMonkey Swag

Post by kjojo »

So every few months, I buy a piece of SeaMonkey swag. I have a couple mugs (one has a really jacked up logo), an apron, couple t-shirts, tote bag, etc (wish there was pint glasses. With a non-jacked up logo, of course). I always figured this was probably the preferred method of donation due to:

-Advertisement (the mugs and aprons are on public display at the café I run)
-Whatever SeaMonkey's cut is, they get all of it. Rather than Elon Musk grabbing a percentage via Paypal

However, I was looking over the meeting minutes from the past couple months, and the subject of perhaps holding a pledge drive continues to be raised. Which got me questioning if the council would actually prefer straight donations over swag purchases. I mean, either/or is irrelevant to me, as it's not like I need SeaMonkey t-shirts and stickers. As stated, the mugs do serve a function (not as much as pint glasses would)--but also as stated--Zazzle's quality control could use a little more control, so it's not like I'm relying on them. So whatever the method most preferred, and would do the most good, is a-OK with me.
frg

Re: Straight Donations vs SeaMonkey Swag

Post by frg »

Sorry for the late reply. I am not familir with the Zazzle shop and how much we get out of it. Reminds me to check with mcsmurf. Was set up way before I started contributing.

If you want to spread the word giving away a mug is great. If you want us the get the whole donation then yes it is very likely we get a much greater percentage of the donated amount this way. Just the paypal fees are substracted. Either way thanks for the donations.

FRG
kjojo

Post by kjojo »

So straight donation IS preferred?

(sorry, you kind of say both. But I think that's what you mean)
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

I know I'm in a minority here, but I really like using SeaMonkey Composer for a few things. Not only is it a good web page editor and publisher, but I also use it as a light-weight word processor. I'm also the type of person that prefers paper books, rather than digital. So, I made myself a paper version of the user help documentation for Composer, simply because I wanted one. Recently, I put it up for general distribution on my Lulu page. I may be the only one who would want to have a Composer book on the bookshelf, but, what the heck?

Proceeds that are generate from any sales from this book will be donated to the SeaMonkey Project.

Just as an FYI, I think Lulu does an excellent job at printing books. Right now, I only have the book in paperback format, but I'm considering doing it in hard cover, too... just because Lulu produces really nice hard cover books.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/the-seamonkey ... 67j9q.html

If this sort of thing is frowned down upon here, then feel free to remove this posting.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)