Enigmail for SeaMonkey 2.53.16

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
frg

Enigmail for SeaMonkey 2.53.16

Post by frg »

A new Enigmail test version for SeaMonkey is now available. If you use it please give it a try and feedback:

https://enigmail.net/download/beta/enigmail-3.1.4a1.xpi

Thanks to Patrick for making it available.

General information can be found here:
https://enigmail.net/index.php/en/

FRG
Rob_S

Re: Enigmail for SeaMonkey 2.53.16

Post by Rob_S »

Sounds interesting, I'd love to try it.

Is there much risk of damaging my profile - containing huge numbers of existing emails??? I do have backups, but still would be a pain.

If I use it, and then uninstall it, will all the emails from while I was using/ trying it become unreadable?

If you can offer a bit more encouraging info on it, I will jump in!!!
davidb_sk

Re: Enigmail for SeaMonkey 2.53.16

Post by davidb_sk »

I've just finished installing and configuring Enigmail for my SeaMonkey e-mail client. It took me a bit of figuring out how to get my keyring imported and configured against my e-mail profiles properly, but I'm impressed with how easy it is to use, vs the webmail clients (and Mailvelope) I was previously using.

Now, I'm speaking from a Linux point of view, so it may well be different for SeaMonkey on other operating systems, but I don't think there's any damage to your profile if you set up Enigmail incorrectly or don't like it and remove it later. The worse that I can see happening is, any emails you send "encrypted" will just not be readable if you remove Enigmail later. It doesn't affect emails directly... it's just a layer on top that interprets PGP encryption keys and decodes/encodes as to your instructions.

I haven't tried to create new keyrings/key sets in Enigmail yet. I've just imported keys that I already use. And I kick myself for not using it in my SeaMonkey E-mail client sooner. I really like it.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)