"Can not create directshow player"

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
shakushinnen

"Can not create directshow player"

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
Whenever I try to access CPAC I get this error message. I've tried adding the necessary ddls to my plugin directory, and installing the wmp plugin. I even tried uninstalling WMP (10), and then reinstalling it, but no joy.
Internet Explorer seems to open this page with no problems.
Thanks,
........ john
The.Purple.Hippo

Re: "Can not create directshow player"

Post by The.Purple.Hippo »

you might need the firefox wmp plugin. You can read about it and download it from here: http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/ ... refox.aspx
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Purple,
Yes.... I've tried that before, but tried it again....just in case....... and .... I still get the same error message.
I've scoured the net, and tried most of the 'simple' methods, listed above, with no luck. It's not urgent. I could, as a last resort, use IE, but I'd prefer not to. If you have any thoughts please let me know.
Thanks,
... john
therube

Post by therube »

What is CPAC?
What is the URL that gives you this error?
What are these "necessary dlls"?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
turu

Post by turu »

Have you try these already ?

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_Media ... _Player.22
"Cannot create DirectShow Player"

This could be a symptom of this problem. Failing that, try reinstalling WMP and installing the latest version of DirectX. Windows XP users with WMP 9 or WMP 10 should upgrade to WMP 11.

OR
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-1437-er ... how-player
Try to register Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll

* Click Start> Run.
* In the Open box, type regsvr32 jscript.dll and click OK.
* Again click Start> Run
* Then type regsvr32 vbscript.dll and click OK.
o You can also uninstall Windows Media Player and select for an alternative like DirectX.
o Download link: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

further reading: viewtopic.php?t=297172

PS. Add-on let you open IE only site on SM: http://downloads.mozdev.org/coralietab/ ... fx-win.xpi
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi therube,
CPAC is the House of Commons live/prerecorded coverage channel.
http://www.cpac.ca/forms/index.asp?act= ... te_id=1073
When I go here I get this error "Can not create directshow player" and a greyed out screen
that should be showing a video.
These are the dll's that I've been told should be in my SeaMonkey plugins folder in order for
WMP to work. NPNUL32.dll and NPDSPLAY.dll are (if memory serves me) the two that are usually cited.
....... john
The.Purple.Hippo

Post by The.Purple.Hippo »

These are the four MS files I have and the site works for me with no problems whatsoever: np-mswmp.dll, npdrmv2.dll, npdsplay.dll, and npwmsdrm.dll.
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Purple...... It seems like I was missing np-mswmp.dll. When I added that to my plugins folder, it worked.... not right away..... but in the morning after having rebooted.
Thank you all for your help.
....... john
therube

Post by therube »

Works fine for me, XP, WMP10, npdsplay.dll, & the 2 *drm*.dll files (& those two only because they are automatically picked up from \Program Files\Windows Media Player\).

I have had no reason to install np-mswmp.dll with SeaMonkey 2.
(There is a reason to do so with SeaMonkey 1 <npdsplay.dll tends to crash>, & there is a reason to do so with Vista/W7 <there is no npdsplay.dll>.)

This points to the possibility of a general WMP or DirectX problem:
Step-By-Step Guide: Embedded Windows Media in Firefox

AFAIK ...

in general, npdsplay.dll is the only dll needed. the other 2 *drm*.dll only deal with DRM & nobody deals with that ;-)

having np-mswmp.dll installed takes precedence over the other npdsplay.dll. npdsplay.dll would only come into consideration if there were a file format that np-mswmp.dll did not handle
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi therube,
Well, there must be something about np-mswmp.dll that SeaMonkey needs to play this stream. I removed it from my plugin folder and got the same error message as before. When I put it back in..... the stream played fine.
.... john
Pav78

Post by Pav78 »

shakushinnen wrote:Hi therube,
Well, there must be something about np-mswmp.dll that SeaMonkey needs to play this stream. I removed it from my plugin folder and got the same error message as before. When I put it back in..... the stream played fine.
.... john

Same here. Without np-mswmp.dll, WMP window only shows a WMP Logo. With np-mswmp.dll installed video plays OK.

Paul Pavlik