Mozilla gets praise from ZDNET

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Yui

Mozilla gets praise from ZDNET

Post by Yui »

I just read another article on ZDNET about Mozilla. I can't count how many positive articles I've read on their news page recently. They're right too. Though 6.0 was a buggy release, Mozilla's 101 features now surpass IE. If only AOL distributed the full Mozilla browser suite. Then everyone would be talking about it. It would also be a great PR move.
spiz

Post by spiz »

AOL are having a bit of a rough time, you wouldn't want to blame them for not wanting to take any risks.
//SPiZ
ghola

Post by ghola »

But everybody IS talking about it. :P The added features did not go unnoticed and recent builds are pretty much on par with IE6 when it comes to reliability.

IMO, the most serious hindrance to broad acceptance of Mozilla is its vulnerability to a) configuration errors and b) malicious extensions. An extension certification program could take care of both.
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

" IMO, the most serious hindrance to broad acceptance of Mozilla is its vulnerability to a) configuration errors and b) malicious extensions. An extension certification program could take care of both."

The most serious hindrance to broad acceptance of Mozilla is the fact that 1) IE comes bundled with Windows 2) people use whatever the default is and 3) Windows makes up 95% of the desktop market.

Until Mozilla ships with every computer and is responsible for all html documents by default, there isn't going to be what most people would call broad acceptance of Mozilla.
weave

Post by weave »

mesostinky wrote:The most serious hindrance to broad acceptance of Mozilla is the fact that 1) IE comes bundled with Windows 2) people use whatever the default is and 3) Windows makes up 95% of the desktop market.

Add to that the lack of a spell checker (bug 56301). :-)

Yes, I read the spellchecker faq. Funny, but I deployed Mozilla in my org and that is my user's #1 complaint. There are also other enterprise-hostile issues too. Mozilla doesn't support UNC paths (bug 162025) which causes any windows domain GPO that redirects %appdata% to a unc path to cause mozilla to fail. (Not an uncommon choice among windows admins)

To address the spellchecker problem, I considered the Netscape. Netscape EULA forbids redistribution unless you use the CCK and agree to a different EULA. Part of that requires quarterly reporting of installs.

Quite a lot of hassles for sys admins, so tell me why they should even bother when IE works fine for users? (A rhetorical question, I desperately want to give users an alternative to IE, but I'm afraid I'm not a typical sys admin...)
DIGITALgimpus

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

1. There should be a certification program.

2. Mozilla needs some serious PR. I am working on some stuff at Evangelmoz (http://www.evangelmoz.mozdev.org) but HELP would be greatly appreciated! Swing on by!
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

"Yes, I read the spellchecker faq. Funny, but I deployed Mozilla in my org and that is my user's #1 complaint.

Yes the fact that Mozilla 1.2 doesn't come with a Spell Checker is pretty unfortunate. For Joe User a spell checker is a lot more important then some of the other features that are being added. I mean the number #3 hit on google when you search for spellchecker is the one at mozdev, I think that says something.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

DIGITALgimpus wrote:1. There should be a certification program.

2. Mozilla needs some serious PR. I am working on some stuff at Evangelmoz (http://www.evangelmoz.mozdev.org) but HELP would be greatly appreciated! Swing on by!

Hehe...that's what I got when I tried to reach the above URL:

evangelmoz wrote:The page index.html was not found on this site.

To find the desired link, try checking the www.evangelmoz project's main page.

Guess where the "main page" link takes you ;-)

Irata
http://mozilla.gunnars.net - The Mozilla Help Site
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

mesostinky wrote:"Yes, I read the spellchecker faq. Funny, but I deployed Mozilla in my org and that is my user's #1 complaint.

Yes the fact that Mozilla 1.2 doesn't come with a Spell Checker is pretty unfortunate. For Joe User a spell checker is a lot more important then some of the other features that are being added.

Why not install Mozilla 1.0.x and use Netscape's spell checker? That's what I did on my work PC (where I definitely need a spellchecker) and it works great, plus Netscape's spellchecker is multilingual :-)

Irata
http://mozilla.gunnars.net - The Mozilla Help Site
spiz

Post by spiz »

The spellchecker is one of the main reasons i use Netscape and it is a pity that it is not implemented in Mozilla.

Now I have a problem with the Palm Sync tool, i need that and and a spell checker! Hmmm...what to do? :roll: Alas, I digress.
//SPiZ
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

" Why not install Mozilla 1.0.x and use Netscape's spell checker? That's what I did on my work PC (where I definitely need a spellchecker) and it works great, plus Netscape's spellchecker is multilingual "

Thanks, but I was just pointing out what I hear most people mention when they try Mozilla. I don't actually need a spellchecker since I don't even use Mozilla anymore except for testing. I've been using Phoenix since it came out. :)