Netscape 10

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Tesla74

Netscape 10

Post by Tesla74 »

I was just thinking.. AOL doesn't use the Netscape brand for a browser anymore (just an outdated ISP).. it would be cool if Mozilla could get the rights to the brand back from AOL and rename SeaMonkey, Netscape. SeaMonkey is like the continuation of Netscape 7.

Just an idea.. what do you all think?
Rob_S

Re: Netscape 10

Post by Rob_S »

I don't much care what they call it, (Netscape, Mozilla Suite, Seamonkey, Beonex, POS Browser mail composer suite,) as long as it keeps working much like Netscape - only better!!!!

The majorissue is to determine what is "better" without breaking what we are used to.
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

If Netscape was resurrected yet again, most people would be thinking "what's the point?" ... A lot
of current internet users have sadly never even heard of Netscape, let alone used it, which is a
a shame really. Let's face it, if it wasn't for Netscape, there'd be no Firefox, SeaMonkey, or any
other Gecko based browsers and everyone would probably have no choice but to use IE!
Would browser built upon WebKit like Chrome and Safari have even been created?

IMO, as good as Netscape was back in the day, and as much as it'd be nice to see the option to
be able to download a new Netscape branded internet browser again, it was, and essentially
still is, a pioneering legend of commercial internet browsers, and should stay that way.

That said, Netscape is still a better name for an internet browser than SeaMonkey . . . !
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yeah I think most users wouldn't know what it is at all. AOL pretty well much successfully killed the brand by putting their crappy software under it's name, and the last version of Netscape was really just Firefox 2.0 with some social features built in like Flock. I do however really miss the old Netscape 1.0 theme which still ranks for me as one of the most well-designed interfaces of any of the early browsers.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
James

Post by James »

Tesla74 wrote: SeaMonkey is like the continuation of Netscape 7.

SeaMonkey is the continuation of what the Mozilla suite could have been like from 1.8 and on and Netscape 7.x was based on the Mozilla suite so...
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

DJGM wrote:If Netscape was resurrected yet again, most people would be thinking "what's the point?" ... A lot
of current internet users have sadly never even heard of Netscape, let alone used it, which is a
a shame really.

Sadly a lot of current Internet users have never heard of SeaMonkey.

While I'm still testing out Minefield(Firefox) 4.0b8pre, Shredder(Thunderbird) 3.3a1pre, and SeaMonkey 2.1b2pre it's looking like SeaMonkey will still be my primary Internet application.

I think the trunk builds need a cool name though. Maybe Grenade? C4?

WLS
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

WLS wrote:I think the trunk builds need a cool name though. Maybe Grenade? C4?

Armageddon
Ragnarök
Götterdämmerung

Phil
rsx11m

Re: Netscape 12+

Post by rsx11m »

Tesla74 wrote:it would be cool if Mozilla could get the rights to the brand back from AOL and rename SeaMonkey, Netscape. SeaMonkey is like the continuation of Netscape 7.

Interesting, this topic seems to pop up in regular intervals. I doubt though that your counting is correct; given that some Gecko branches didn't have their corresponding Netscape releases, SeaMonkey 2.1 should be at least Netscape 12 or 13 by now... 8-)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

We could do an Apple and call it NetscapeX.

Phil
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Philip Chee wrote:We could do an Apple and call it NetscapeX.

Phil

Good idea - anything apple is money in the bank it seems
patrickjdempsey

Escape with iScape.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

Started with Netscape 2.0. I actually purchased the program-- I thought you had to.

Not sorry.
Tesla74

Post by Tesla74 »

jadinolf wrote:Started with Netscape 2.0. I actually purchased the program-- I thought you had to.

Not sorry.

I also bought copies of Netscape/Communicator.. mainly because back then I was using dial-up and it was so slow that I couldn't download a copy. I've always used Netscape and then Firefox as my main browser.. never IE.
Tesla74

Post by Tesla74 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Yeah I think most users wouldn't know what it is at all. AOL pretty well much successfully killed the brand by putting their crappy software under it's name, and the last version of Netscape was really just Firefox 2.0 with some social features built in like Flock. I do however really miss the old Netscape 1.0 theme which still ranks for me as one of the most well-designed interfaces of any of the early browsers.

I kinda liked the Netscape 4 theme. I once made a Firefox version.. but it is a lot of work to keep them updated.. so I let it go.
patrickjdempsey

It's still available for SeaMonkey:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/46108/

I was sorta sad when they switched the style because I liked the older one so much better. I also really liked the old M throbber with the spinning panels when it was still called Netscape Mosaic.