Who here is sticking with the suite

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

No flaming, please.

Java Virtual Machine was something M$, I believed. What all browsers use is the Java Runtime Environment.
ByronB

Post by ByronB »

IE>Internet Options > Advanced >Microsoft VM >

It says what?
donutbandit

Post by donutbandit »

Is ByronB saying that if Sun Java is not installed, that Mozilla will use the IE Java VM?
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

ByronB was being a smartass, as always. You can safely ignore him.

Check his post history. Anything to get a stupid jab at Microsoft. Mozilla can't use the MS JVM. Just ignore him.

The terms JVM and JRE are synonymous for all intents and purposes.

- Chris
Paul

Post by Paul »

To turn off Java go to preferences->Advanced->Enable Java

If the checkbox "Enable Java" is left unchecked Java will be disabled.
Last edited by Paul on March 27th, 2005, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Post by Paul »

An additional note: It might be useful to have a one click button on the toolbar to turn on/off various advanced features such as Java/Flash/etc. Sometimes you may want to turn it one for one link and then off again, and whitelisting/balcklisting would not work here. Lets say you visit a site for the first time and do not want to load the flash animation until you have had a chance to look over the site. There could be a button in the menu or toolbar to load the flash content once. to do this now involves a trip to the preferences and several click nefore and after the flash anination.
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

Actually, you can do that with "Preference Bar". In fact, they have just come out with a very, very nice version of it which I recently installed that I've found to be out of this world. :) You can either toggle these things off and leave them off (like the java/flash you mentioned), or leave them on and turn them off when you encounter them, etc., all from a very thin and stylish toolbar which rest under your bookmark toolbar (if displayed)---or you can even press a button and hide it. I'll never be without the more advanced version of this again if ever I can help it!

I never much cared for the original one but this one has it beat.

Hope this info helps in what you're looking for. Things like this are bringing me back more and more to the Suite each day. (See earlier post in thread.)

You can find Preference Bar at: http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Check his post history. Anything to get a stupid jab at Microsoft. Mozilla can't use the MS JVM. Just ignore him.

And if we check your post history we see a lot of flaming.

If he wants to bash M$, let him. He has had enough bad experiences with M$ that he has the right to, I think. Does it affect you? Are you M$? I don't think so.
The terms JVM and JRE are synonymous for all intents and purposes.

Thanks for the info.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

BenoitRen wrote:If he wants to bash M$, let him. He has had enough bad experiences with M$ that he has the right to, I think. Does it affect you? Are you M$? I don't think so.

This is Mozillazine, not "bashM$oZINE!11111". If people want to act like children, they should go to a playground.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Even so, that doesn't give Thumper the right to flame.
ByronB

Post by ByronB »

Ben

Thumper is what I was, will be what I am, it's just a matter of time

>The terms JVM and JRE are synonymous for all intents and >purposes.

JVM Is a Microsoft PATENT, JRE is not

To say these are the same is in essence saying IE/OE are the same
as Seamonkey/Mozilla Suite.
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

Microsoft has taken to patenting acronyms now, has it?

You don't know what you're talking about. Idiot hippies really annoy me. i truly hope your first language isn't English, by the way.

- Chris
schapel

Post by schapel »

ByronB wrote:JVM Is a Microsoft PATENT, JRE is not.

Sun Microsystems came up with the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) and JRE (Java Runtime Environment). The JRE is the JVM plus other things such as the class libraries needed to run Java class files. Microsoft, Sun, and IBM, and many other companies distribute JVMs. I assure you JVM is not a Microsoft patent.