MozillaZine

2.1 - First impression and questions

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
ben_griffith

Post Posted June 11th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Hi to all

- got now the FF bookmark behaviour: open new group will not any longer replace the old ones
Question: Is there a way in about:config to disable this disable this useless behaviour? This browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent didn't work; it put the new group on the left and right side only.

- I can't delete "unsorted bookmarks" in Bookmark manager and this (greyed out) Feed things at the beginning of Bookmarks (it that doesn't appear in the manager)
Question: Is there any chance to get these useless folders out of the bookmarks

First impression:
- incredible slow, takes a lot of memory, went back to 2.0 and got back old speed.
- works like FF now (I came from FF 3 to Seamonkey because I didn't like FF ~3.x and its improvements for blinds and lowIQ users)
- Why do I have to live with unsorted bookmark folder and this only because 70% of all humans are unsorted?
- With 2.1, I have to think about it, if I really want it. Opera, which works quite fast and nicely but shows ads, or SM2.1/FF4.
- Will keep going with SM2.0x until websites are not any longer shown as they should.
Last edited by ben_griffith on June 12th, 2011, 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

sal magundi

Post Posted June 11th, 2011, 10:45 pm

ben_griffith wrote:- works like FF now

not sure what you mean, can you give an example?

ben_griffith

Post Posted June 11th, 2011, 10:51 pm

Hi sal magundi

I always appriciated
- one-click on a Group of Tabs (instead of click - click -> Open in Group)
- In the morning I begin to read 4 newspapers (group of tabs), and 5 blogs (again as group of tabs), which replaces the newspapers

With 2.1 or FF, I have to open a new browser to read my blogs or I accept that I have to close my newspapers by hand.

In 2.0: 1. Open browser, 2. Open newspaper group, 3. open blog group

FF/2.1: 1. Open browser, 2. Open bookmarks, 3. Go to Newsaper, 4. Go to Open all in Tabs, 5.a close the bowser, 6. open the browser, 7. Open bookmarks, 8. Open blogs, 9. go to open all in tabs.
FF/2.1: 1. Open browser, 2. Open bookmarks, 3. Go to Newsaper, 4. Go to Open all in Tabs, 5.b Open bookmarks, 7. Open blogs, 8. go to open all in tabs, 9. Close Newspaper 1, 10, close newspaper 2, 11. close newspaper 3, 12. close newspaper 4

Replace tabs addon for FF4 makes browser much slower. What a rubbish! Why do developers always change working programs into non-working ones.

WaltS48

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 6:42 am

Did you check your Preferences > Browser > Tabbed Browsing. Are they set the way you would like SM 2.1 to work?

I right click on a folder of bookmarks, select Open All in Tabs and they all open in tabs in the current window.

Then when done, go to the tab I want to focus on, right click and select Close other tabs and they close.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

ben_griffith

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 7:10 am

@WLS

This has nothing to do with the old behaviour in Seamonkey. SM 2.1 doesn't allow to replace tabs. It will never again close the old tabs and open only the new ones. It adds the new ones to the left and right. What a rubbish! I have a group of blogs, which I want to read tabs together and not one on the far left and the other on the far right.
In 2008, Mozilla got 15.000 complains about the new FF3 behaviour and ignored users and said, "this is a feature". Mozilla is like Microsoft.
I stay with 2.0x until I can't see the website's content.

ben_griffith

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 7:19 am

@WLS

ben_griffith wrote:right click and select Close other tabs and they close.

This has nothing to do with the old behaviour in Seamonkey. It will close all tabs and keeps only one open.
SM 2.1 doesn't allow to replace tabs. It will never again replace the old tabs and open only the new ones. It adds the new ones to the left and right. I have a group of blogs/topic, which I want to read together and not one on the far left and the others on the far right. Now I have to close the old ones manually one by one. What a rubbish!
In 2008, Mozilla got 15.000 complains about the new FF3 behaviour and ignored users. Mozilla's answer, "this is a feature". Mozilla is like Microsoft.
I stay with 2.0x until I can't see the website's content. Maybe I get used to the rubbish until then (will learn to keep my brain in sleep)

seedy

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 7:52 am

I stayed with SM because grouped bookmarks were clickable and not a folder that required extra clicking and menu hunting to get all open in tabs.

Is there a way to get back the groups idea? I don't like the folder idea. I'm perfectly capable of putting copies of bookmarks where I want them. I liked SM because it wasn't for idiots, but we seem to be aiming for the LCD with 2.1.

WaltS48

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 8:47 am

ben_griffith wrote:@WLS

This has nothing to do with the old behaviour in Seamonkey. SM 2.1 doesn't allow to replace tabs. It will never again close the old tabs and open only the new ones. It adds the new ones to the left and right. What a rubbish! I have a group of blogs, which I want to read tabs together and not one on the far left and the other on the far right.
In 2008, Mozilla got 15.000 complains about the new FF3 behaviour and ignored users and said, "this is a feature". Mozilla is like Microsoft.
I stay with 2.0x until I can't see the website's content.

I dunno. Mine always adds the tabs to the right. SeaMonkey 2.0.14 and SeaMonkey 2.1 appear to work the same way for me.

I have been using SeaMonkey 2.1 since it's a1 version, and just installed SM2.1 64-bit from my Linux distribution's repository, so no longer have SM 2.0.14 to test.

Maybe I don't understand your usage. Are you mad about the scrolling tabs? I find that a great NEW feature.

Good Luck!
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Philip Chee

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 9:23 am

People were complaining about the old behaviour where groupmarks would overwrite existing tabs. They were saying this was a dataloss bug. So we fixed their problem and now they are happy. Win some lose some. I guess we could implement a pref that would bring back the old behaviour. But I wonder how many people (besides you) would want that back.

Phil

bobmcp

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 11:45 am

I would! When I have a number of tabs open and press 'home', I want my
home group to overwrite existing tabs. Lost this with SM 2.1.

Also miss 'orbit3+1' theme and the 'seatab x' addon.

I'm sticking with 2.0.14

Bob

Uncle Spellbinder

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 12:34 pm

bobmcp wrote:I would! When I have a number of tabs open and press 'home', I want my
home group to overwrite existing tabs. Lost this with SM 2.1.

Also miss 'orbit3+1' theme and the 'seatab x' addon.

I'm sticking with 2.0.14

Bob

Before you give up, you might want to ask for help. :wink:

Make sure you have Add-on Compatibility Reporter 0.8.5 installed first. Most extensions will work and work well. seatab X installed and works fine here.

As for orbit 3+1, here it is in my install SeaMonkey 2.1:
(Click Image To Enlarge)
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials

Lemon Juice

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Actually, Seamonkey being the browser for power users should have this configurable - open bookmark group properties and choose between "open in new tabs next to existing ones" and "replace existing tabs". Everyone would be happy. This is great vision, isn't it? :D

I suppose with the changes in FF code that SM shares to a large extent it's always some additional work for SM developers to keep old behaviour and be different from FF. With limited manpower that SM has it's not always possible and developers can't be blamed. The truth is we are dependent on FF code in many cases and any differences require more work.

But I think we could submit a feature request at bugzilla.mozilla.org to make this behaviour configurable so that all users would be happy.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey

bobmcp

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 1:58 pm

When I have multiple tabs open, I have always preferred to use my 'home' button to overwrite and thus restore my default configuration - much easier than deleting individual tabs (with middle-click or the 'seatab x' addon), or closing and re-opening SM.

I have no argument or issue with the developers who IMHO have produced a very fine product which I find to be very stable & functional. But, I miss the ability to overwrite all open tabs. Lemon Juice's suggestion would suit me just fine!

As far as the 'add-on-compatibility-reporter' suggested by Uncle Spellbinder is concerned - will try it, but after reading the description it sounds to me that this simply masks the incompatibility - it doesn't fix it.

therube

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 2:28 pm

> incredible slow, takes a lot of memory, went back to 2.0 and got back old speed.

I've seen that.

> People were complaining about the old behaviour where groupmarks would overwrite existing tabs.

I always thought that was configurable? Maybe only in older versions?

> Also miss ... the 'seatab x' addon.

Don't need seatab any longer.
browser.tabs.closeButtons defaults to 3. Change it to 0 or 1, as wanted.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

CMonkeyBloke

Post Posted June 12th, 2011, 2:34 pm

Cat Thief's extension (SeaTab X) works.

Return to SeaMonkey General