MozillaZine

SeaMonkey 2.3.1 Released!

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
jaroclay

User avatar
 
Posts: 660
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 6:33 pm
Location: Pacific NW, USA

Post Posted August 23rd, 2011, 12:20 pm

SeaMonkey 2.3.1 was recently released but the release notes have not been updated yet. You can find the download link here:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... ses/2.3.1/

The most obvious update is the user agent which now points to the recently released Firefox 6.0.

What I find interesting is third party tools that work with Firefox are integrating with SM but not Firefox derivatives (e.g. Pale Moon). Impressive work! =D>
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CMonkeyBloke

User avatar
 
Posts: 677
Joined: June 10th, 2011, 11:35 am
Location: Annwn

Post Posted August 24th, 2011, 8:30 am

Looking good so far.

teejayrosene

User avatar
 
Posts: 55
Joined: January 5th, 2007, 7:55 am

Post Posted August 24th, 2011, 8:50 am

jtek wrote:SeaMonkey 2.3.1 was recently released but the release notes have not been updated yet. You can find the download link here:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... ses/2.3.1/

The most obvious update is the user agent which now points to the recently released Firefox 6.0.

What I find interesting is third party tools that work with Firefox are integrating with SM but not Firefox derivatives (e.g. Pale Moon). Impressive work! =D>

Just a question on SeaMonkey in general: will it now have an aggressive 6 week release schedule like Firefox and Thunderbird?

jaroclay

User avatar
 
Posts: 660
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 6:33 pm
Location: Pacific NW, USA

Post Posted August 24th, 2011, 10:04 am

teejay17 wrote:Just a question on SeaMonkey in general: will it now have an aggressive 6 week release schedule like Firefox and Thunderbird?

I do not fully know the answer to this question, but can say from observation that SM updates coincide with major releases of Firefox. The next release of SM is scheduled for late September or early October. This would support the 6 week flow you mentioned since SM 2.3 was released a couple weeks ago. SM 2.3.1 was an update to fix an issue importing e-mail from MS Outlook (per the release notes).

Does this answer your question? If not, I ask Mr. Chee to step in and provide an answer this question as he knows all. :D
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Philip Chee

User avatar
 
Posts: 6475
Joined: March 1st, 2005, 3:03 pm

Post Posted August 24th, 2011, 11:40 am

jtek wrote:
teejay17 wrote:Just a question on SeaMonkey in general: will it now have an aggressive 6 week release schedule like Firefox and Thunderbird?

I do not fully know the answer to this question, but can say from observation that SM updates coincide with major releases of Firefox. The next release of SM is scheduled for late September or early October. This would support the 6 week flow you mentioned since SM 2.3 was released a couple weeks ago. SM 2.3.1 was an update to fix an issue importing e-mail from MS Outlook (per the release notes).
The only fix was an additional CA Authority otherwise users on 2.3 would not be able to autoupdate to a newer release in the near future.
jtek wrote:Does this answer your question? If not, I ask Mr. Chee to step in and provide an answer this question as he knows all. :D

Aaack. :?: #-o

Phil

jaroclay

User avatar
 
Posts: 660
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 6:33 pm
Location: Pacific NW, USA

Post Posted August 24th, 2011, 11:56 am

Philip Chee wrote:Aaack. :?: #-o Phil

That was a compliment, Phil! You have always been able to step in and provide additional information when I have been unable to capture things correctly. Dare I say, Guru! :D
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Scarlettrunner20

User avatar
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: February 13th, 2003, 5:06 pm

Post Posted August 24th, 2011, 10:29 pm

The main reason I have started using SeaMonkey again is because of the version insanity with Fx now. I hate that. I had read SeaMonkey was not going to the crazy version listings that fx has but would keep the traditional listings of versions. So, when Fx is on version 12, SeaMonkey will still be on version 2.3.8 or something like that. I also read that SeaMonkey would not follow Fx in hiding the version number and insisting that versions are irrelevant now because all users are always on the latest version at all times. I use Fx 4.01 and I will leave Fx completely in an instant if Mozilla were ever to force auto updating which they may well do at some point. ((Of course, a mass exodous and a fork would immediately follow that action. I also use Iron not Chrome for this reason of forced updating in Chrome).

I read that SeaMonkey developers were paying more attention to what their users want than Fx developers so I came back to SeaMonkey but I really miss two extensions. Plus, if SeaMonkey is going to keep pace with the ridiculous upgrade every six weeks that Fx has now, well, that dampens my enthusiasm somewhat as I see no need (except for security patches) to upgrade at a frantic pace. I won't be upgrading ...maybe once a year as that is plenty often. I still use XP Pro and don't want Vista and Win 7 even though I own a copy of Vista Ultimate that I run on a virtual machine. My video card is quite capable of WebM and DirectX hardware accleration. I scored really well on the Mozilla test page before Mozilla blocked my video card. I have no interest in updating to whatever the current nVidia driver version is now. I want to use classic nVidia GUI which means I cannot upgrade the driver beyond the one I use. That is fine with me. I don't think Mozilla should arbitrarily decide what versions of drivers they will block. The user should see how it works and if SeaMonkey or Fx crash too much with an old video card driver version then the user can decide what they want to do. These things should ALWAYS be up to the user ....never arbitrary decisions by Mozilla about blocking video card drivers before a certain date, forcing automatic updating, etc.

What is the point of showing SeaMonkey user agent as faked Fx 6? Again, this is AWFUL. SeaMonkey should be true to itself and show Seamonkey as the user agent. I need a Proxomitron filter to fix it I guess. Or is there something similar to User Agent Switcher for Fx that will work on SeaMonkey?

Andrew`
 
Posts: 146
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Post Posted August 25th, 2011, 3:47 am

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:The main reason I have started using SeaMonkey again is because of the version insanity with Fx now.

That was also a reason why I started looking at other browsers. Also because in SeaMonkey the Menu Bar can be on the same line as the Bookmarks Bar (unlike Firefox) which in a way I like better than the Awesome Bar.

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:What is the point of showing SeaMonkey user agent as faked Fx 6?

You can set general.useragent.compatMode.firefox to False to fix this. By the way, I completely agree with you. The Gecko bit should be sufficient. Oh well, at least it can be changed.

The only problem I've had with it is on some Google sites (example) and iCloud, but I don't use either of those anyway. ;)

teejayrosene

User avatar
 
Posts: 55
Joined: January 5th, 2007, 7:55 am

Post Posted August 25th, 2011, 10:24 am

Interesting asides. Anyway, thanks for answering as best as possible. I guess when Gecko 7 comes out in September, SeaMonkey will get updated to 2.x something.

Scarlettrunner20

User avatar
 
Posts: 1010
Joined: February 13th, 2003, 5:06 pm

Post Posted August 25th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Andrew` wrote:You can set general.useragent.compatMode.firefox to False to fix this. By the way, I completely agree with you. The Gecko bit should be sufficient. Oh well, at least it can be changed.

The only problem I've had with it is on some Google sites (example) and iCloud, but I don't use either of those anyway. ;)


Thanks! I did that but the Proxomitron drops the SeaMonkey part of the string. If I bypass Proxo then I see the SeaMonkey part added. I suppose it is enough without the SeaMonkey part added and it is less identifiable for fingerprinting this way. I don't use those Google sites either...didn't even know they existed. I use Scroogle for general searching and Google for image search and for maps and that is it.

raj_bhaskar

User avatar
 
Posts: 1894
Joined: November 7th, 2002, 3:50 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post Posted August 26th, 2011, 1:46 am

See also: Prefs -> Advanced -> HTTP Networking -> Advertise Firefox compatibility

jaroclay

User avatar
 
Posts: 660
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 6:33 pm
Location: Pacific NW, USA

Post Posted August 26th, 2011, 9:23 am

raj_bhaskar wrote:See also: Prefs -> Advanced -> HTTP Networking -> Advertise Firefox compatibility

Thanks you very much, Raj! I did not plan on changing this setting but for those that wish to - this is by far the easiest method and shows the forethought of the SM developers. It is also a casual reminder to review the preferences every major release to familiarize ourselves with any potentially new options. #-o

I had seen this option but glossed over it and hence forgot about it since I obtain better integration with my security software by leaving it enabled.
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Joe1962
 
Posts: 370
Joined: November 4th, 2004, 6:00 am
Location: Havana, Cuba

Post Posted August 29th, 2011, 6:52 am

Andrew` wrote:... Also because in SeaMonkey the Menu Bar can be on the same line as the Bookmarks Bar...


That would be interesting, but I don't see how to do it.
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.

jaroclay

User avatar
 
Posts: 660
Joined: May 14th, 2004, 6:33 pm
Location: Pacific NW, USA

Post Posted August 29th, 2011, 11:46 am

Joe1962 wrote:
Andrew` wrote:... Also because in SeaMonkey the Menu Bar can be on the same line as the Bookmarks Bar...


That would be interesting, but I don't see how to do it.

This is doable, Joel1962. Customize the SM interface and drag the "bookmarks" bar holder up to the menu bar. I typically have placed a fixed space or separator between the menu and the bookmark bar or they bump into each other. I am using the Mostly Crystal theme hence the slightly different look (e.g. icons). Here is a snap shot after I did this - alas, you will need to copy and paste the link below as my web service is not allowing me to link to the image - takes you to the home page of the service. #-o

jtekusa.freehostia.com/SeaMonkey/SM-BMB.png

(I had to leave the HTTP portion of the link off or the copy and paste would not work either)
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Joe1962
 
Posts: 370
Joined: November 4th, 2004, 6:00 am
Location: Havana, Cuba

Post Posted August 29th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Thanks jtek. I did actually try before I posted, but I was dragging by the toolbar "grippy". After your post, I realized I had to move the contents instead and then hide the Personal Toolbar.
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.

Return to SeaMonkey General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests