Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
meinsen

Post by meinsen »

Hm,

Mozoo could be nice.

- speaking name
- contains moz
- short

richard
Ernest

Post by Ernest »

Marzipan seems like a good contender.
Phonetically it is similar to Moz Open.
It is also a sweet which serves as an English language pun on suite

The following translations via various translation sites:
Dutch: Marsepein
French: Massepain
German: Marzipan
Italian: Marzapane
Portugese: Maçapão
Russian: Марципан
Spanish: Mazapán
show that for most European languages, the cognate word also begins with a syllable similar to Moz-.
This would be good for the localized versions.

A quick google turned up no obvious problems with the name, altho if there should be one, an alternative, Mozipan, definitely has no problems. It also works if people want a more obvious connection to Mozilla.
Last edited by Ernest on March 16th, 2005, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbage

Would the name sell?

Post by robbage »

Would the name sell? Would a commercial product suffer if it had the name you are suggesting? If so, the product will suffer even if its free. Wouldn Joe Citizen buy something called MozSuite or BrowseZilla or similar? I can't even say them without getting tongue-tied. We want people to use this thing instead of IE, or as the next step up from Firefox.

Can a logo be associated with the name? Firefox has a fox.. it works!

Does the name REALLY connect to the whole product? Magellan doesn't. Magellan never emailed anyone. Something that implies ALL of Suite's abilities would work better.. not just the browser part of it. (Magellan is already used by other products anyway..)

Something to think about, anyway!

My thoughts

"Brahma", an Hindu mythical creature/being with many heads.

"Tantrix", something multiple involved there :)
schapel

Re: Would the name sell?

Post by schapel »

robbage wrote:Would Joe Citizen buy something called MozSuite or BrowseZilla or similar? I can't even say them without getting tongue-tied. We want people to use this thing instead of IE, or as the next step up from Firefox....

No. But Joe Citizen is not the target audience. The <a href="http://wiki.mozilla.org/wiki/SeaMonkey:Project_Goals">Seamonkey Project Goals</a> describes the target audience for this browser:

"Our target audience consists of:

* people currently using the Mozilla Suite
* people currently using Netscape 4-7 who would like a product that feels similar
* people looking for an integrated suite of internet applications
* corporate users looking to deploy a single product
* advanced users looking for a sophisticated web client
* developers and web developers"

The only items in that list that might include Joe Citizen are "people currently using Netscape", and they are already using a product called "Netscape", and "people looking for an integrated suite of internet applications", and Joe Citizen doesn't even have a frickin' clue what that phrase means!

I think the people in the target audience would not avoid this product simply because it's called something geeky like MozSuite. A name like that might even be an advantage.
txGreg

Post by txGreg »

Scarrow -- sorry, still don't have an actual name to propose yet. I don't think this veers too far off-topic, but I apologize in advance if you disagree.

Joe1962 wrote:How about Tarentola? It's a genus of the Gekkonidae family, in keeping with the lizard theme. It climbs vertical walls, which relates to what the suite must do to get over these hard times.

I meant to respond to this one yesterday, but forgot to do so until I saw it listed in the first post today. While I like the concept, it sounds phonetically too close to Tarantella IMHO. Depending on one's experience with Tarantella, that could be either a good or bad thing...

On a semi-related note, one thing some of you might want to consider when brainstorming for names (in addition to Google) would be the Browser Archive at evolt.org. A handy little collection of already-used names there, some of which are similar to our suggestions.

-txGreg
adamhauner

Some Portmanteau?

Post by adamhauner »

What about finding some <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau">portmanteau</a> word?

<b>Mocko Internet Suite</b> (MOzilla geCKO)

And some less interesting:
Moscape (MOzilla netSCAPE)
Moite (MOzilla suITE)
Sumo (SUite MOzilla)

Similar <em>portmanteau</em> should maybe composited from great properties of our Suite.
adamhauner

Post by adamhauner »

I forgot: another source are names of other lizards (reptiles), there are tons of them.

And one more idea: <b>Mozaline</b>
Ernest

Post by Ernest »

Had another idea that makes adds another reason why Mozipan would be an interesting possibility.
Besides the Moz- which provides a connection to Mozilla the -pan affix means all encompassing, which a suite should be.
Stil don't have anything for yje -i- unless you want to make it stand for Internet, but that's gilding the lily as far as tackiness is concerned.

In any case, I still prefer my more subtle suggestion of Marzipan.
MoorFrog

Post by MoorFrog »

These companies already exist: Magellan Software, Mariner Software, Pioneer Software, Wolf Software. HTML Constellation is a web page creation tool and Dragon is voice recognition software, so you should also forget these when selecting the name.
Hangnail

Post by Hangnail »

Another name idea:

Zephyr: (Greek mythology) the Greek god of the west wind or a refreshing breeze.

My favorite of my suggestions so far
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

suggest: Sweet

provacative
simple
recognizable
double meaning
seems unlikely to have comptetion for the name http://www.google.com/search?q=sweet+tm
not geekish (both good and bad)

the challenge - a logo/icon to go with it
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

StarDrake

It keeps with the dragon/drake theme, and when I saw someone suggesting a name relating to stars, I thought of combining it. It also connects with Mozilla's logo of the dragon's head in a star.
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

How about - Seascape Internet Suite? It retains the first part of the SeaMonkey name,
and since the whole Mozilla Suite was largely thanks to Netscape releasing their source
code in the first place (one of the best things Netscape have ever done) the second
part of my suggested name gratefully doffs it's cap to it's Netscape legacy.
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
Rickkins

Post by Rickkins »

I like it...:)
The Teleport Suite

Post by The Teleport Suite »

Modzilla