Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Rickkins

Post by Rickkins »

-=NetSweet=-

0 returns on google.
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

Cusser wrote:Openzilla - Keeps the 'zilla association, but follows a similar naming convention to OpenOffice.
It turns up two abandoned domains, but no meaningful results. Could be a more feasible name.

It has negative connotations as regards the Firefox development process, and given that Seamonkey's checkin procedure is actually stricter than that of the aviarii it isn't very logical either. It also invites comparisons to "mozilla", which is explicitly what the new name is there to avoid.

Besides, everyone knows Kerz will end up picking the name in the end.

- Chris
ByronB

Post by ByronB »

A vote for MozSuite
L Squared

Post by L Squared »

Speaking of names, what happens to Chatzilla?
L Squared
Lyle Greg Lisle
Retired EE, Web Wanderer, etc
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

Well, I posted this before, but somehow it dissapeared!

How about Tarentola? It's a genus of the Gekkonidae family, in keeping with the lizard theme. It climbs vertical walls, which relates to what the suite must do to get over these hard times.

As a biologist, I'll be looking for some more lizard (or reptile) names.
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
The Teleport Suite

Post by The Teleport Suite »

I think whatever name is eventually chosen, many people will be disappointed :(
I hope it is not chosen by a minority of programmers just because they like it.
w1cpo

Post by w1cpo »

Navigator Complete Internet Suite, NCIS (tounge in cheek)

This really is what the Suite represents... a complete package.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I like MozSuite. Why? It links the seamonkey community with the Mozilla organization of which this community project will continue to have a strong relationship with. Mozilla is already a strong brand name. Using Moz, which is a diminutive of Mozilla, will therefore provide the Seamonkey project with a stronger branding name than other names.. Using the name MozSuite has these advantages:

1. Using "Moz" indicates that this is a software product related (as a community) to the Mozilla org. Mozilla already is a strong brand name and we will retain a lot of the power of the Mozilla brand by using the name "Moz".

2. Using MozSuite indicates that this is a software product which uses the Gecko rendering engine. The gecko engine is well respected and lends credibility to the seamonkey project.

3. Adding the term Suite tells Joe/Jane public what the software is for. It is an internet suite.

Seamonkey has been already known by many people as the MozSuite and by going with this name we do not have to begin the branding of the suite all over from scratch.. I suggest that we go with a name that people already know and associate with seamonkey which is <b>MozSuite</b>.
javonera

reMoz Internet Suite

Post by javonera »

reMoz Internet Suite - "re" gives idea of something that's done again. no need to explain the rest of the name.

don't like the suggestion of "Open" prefix. Too close to OpenOffice.org comunity. Might confuse public.
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

<i>The following states my opinion, which is just one among many. I'm not implying it's better than others.</i>

We need a name that is original. Since this software that was previously called Mozilla is in transition, the name should change, too. When I say original I mean original in a way "Mozilla" was.

Proposals like MozSuite, OpenZilla and FreeMoz are truly wonderful, but I'm sincerely hoping to see a completely new name for this software which also happens to be my all-time favorite web tool. It shouldn't be a variation of the previous name because names like FreeMoz indicate that a separate or "free" version of Mozilla has been released. Like DOS -> FreeDOS.

MozSuite is ok, but I it doesn't work because in practise it's exactly the same name as the original: Mozilla Suite.

So let's just change the "Mozilla" part, keep the overall image as it is and make a dinosaur/lizard logo that is slightly different.

As I said, I like the name MozSuite a lot, but it can't be used since that'll confuse people more than necessary. The new project should be clearly separated from Mozilla Foundation, and MozSuite as a name doesn't do that. People wouldn't understand the reason for the namechange, for example why change Mandrake Linux to Mandrakelinux? <b>We don't want people to get the image that we cannot even make up a name of our own when the product is separated from the Foundation</b>.

"Teleport", "Dragon", "Drake", "Legion", "Spider", "Hydra", "Bear Suite", ... are good names but they aren't original enough. And I'm not talking about Google hits but the very image of the software.

By the way I guess the final name is chosen by a project leader, not the whole community together or a public poll.
Last edited by BamseIsUnix on March 16th, 2005, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

The Teleport Suite wrote:I think whatever name is eventually chosen, many people will be disappointed :(

I'm sorry if this offends someone, but what will disappoint people is putting "SeaMonkey" as the name of the new project. Almost all the proposals I've seen here are improvements over SeaMonkey which is just a codename, and it doesn't stand publicity. At least I wouldn't be able to show my face at my workplace if my favorite browser I constantly praise gets a name like that. Sorry but this is true. It gets laughed at.
Gyges

Post by Gyges »

Here' are my naming suggestions, as a person who prefers using the Suite over the Separate Apps:
Pilot - (though Palm would probably give fits) because of the navigator connection;
Magellan - a famous navigator
Drake - another famous sailor and fits with the dinosaur/dragon concept of some of the others.
Phosphorus - Latin for light - bringer and harkens back to the old Netscape logo, downside close to Lucifer.
and last Pioneer - again a navigator reference and also carries the idea of trailblazing into unknown territory.
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

Magellan sounds good.
sometimes browsing these internets makes me laffo
Mozilla Suite user --- SeaMonkey supporter
(away for several months)
jeanuel

Kraken

Post by jeanuel »

I propose
<b>Kraken</b>.

Probably no legendary sea monster was as horrifying as the Kraken, a giant sea monster. According to stories this huge, many armed, creature looked like an island when motionless and could reach as high as the top of a sailing ship's main mast with its arms deployed.

wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken
MilesTeg

Post by MilesTeg »

I propose "OpenInternetSuite"

"Open" like OpenOffice/OpenSource and "Internet" because it´s about email, irc, usenet, web... = the complete internet suite