Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Ocelot

StarDrake should be given serious consideration

Post by Ocelot »

BenoitRen wrote:StarDrake

It keeps with the dragon/drake theme, and when I saw someone suggesting a name relating to stars, I thought of combining it. It also connects with Mozilla's logo of the dragon's head in a star.

Although we would certainly want a new logo, I think StarDrake has genuine useability, and for the following reasons:

a) It is a unique name for which an extensive search didn't turn up any software-related references (unless I missed a more obscure one)
b) It lends itself to a unique logo
c) Contained within are the "reptillian" origins of the Suite, but transformed from dinosaur into a more powerful draconic creature. And at the same time, a sense of future, looking up and out, "to the stars" as it 'twere

Thanks to BenoitRen for an excellent suggestion that should be given serious consideration.

Purrs --
Ocelot
cat@eskimo.com
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
-- Anonymous
Paul

Post by Paul »

Please Google before you suggest a name.

Magellan is already taken: http://www.magellangps.com/en/

Kraken is already taken: http://www.cs.ucf.edu/~lboloni/Programming/KrakenWeb/
tommytoyz

Post by tommytoyz »

SEAMONKEY 1.7.6

I like it. Let's keep it. I have no problem with it.

Zeppelin 1.7.6 (German for Blimp)

Drop the SUITE already folks
kef vurge

Griffin (or Gryphon)

Post by kef vurge »

I was thinking <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin">Griffin</a> or <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gryphon">Gryphon</a>. I <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1311807">see</a> BamseIsUnix considered it in some sort of context as well.

Why: Well there is the mythology continuity aspect (to go along with the defunct Phoenix & Chimera names). But I was really thinking more in the context that it is an amalgam of various creatures. Likewise C-Mon-# is a suite of apps (which exist in their independent fox/bird forms as well). The fact that griffins are hybrids descendant of animal archetypes, whereas conversely the stand-alone apps descend from the suite doesn't matter. It gets the idea across.

I think it sounds cool, is marketable, and image-wise does not depart too much from the 'zilla iconography (For example, see this <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Shield_sticker_%28colours_brightened%29.jpg">modern heraldic griffin</a> image).

Cursorily searching the web, I found a couple of software and technology vendors incorporating the name Griffin or Gryphon, a few non-software products containing some naming variant, but no software apps called Griffin or Gryphon.

(PS:) If a "Suite" naming designation were tacked on to that, make sure it is not "Application Suite", as telling people you have GAS is not cool and makes for an awkward situation in general. GAS Always Stinks.
I don't think that is the type of association in people's minds you want.
Last edited by kef vurge on March 17th, 2005, 11:53 pm, edited 12 times in total.
javonera

Bramido Suite

Post by javonera »

Bramido Suite - Bramido is the spanish word for the "roar" that bulls and other savage animals make. Gives the idea of a robust, powerfull product that wants to keep it's "territory". It's completely independat from the kind of names related to MOFO, but still keeps a connotation with animals. That's all. (Sorry if my english sucks!)
highlandsun

Post by highlandsun »

I like the Drake/Dragon theme. But StarDrake doesn't really do anything for me. I suggest CyberDrake, to drag in the connotation of cyberspace.
-- Howard Chu http://www.symas.com
xandman

Suggested by a friend

Post by xandman »

Tertiary or Tertiary Suite.

I thought it was nuts, but it makes a bit of sense. Looking it up, tertiary as a noun means "From 2 million to 63 million years ago" thereby in keeping with the mozilla idea (dinosaur/dragon). As an adjective, it means "Coming next after the second and just before the fourth in position" which is right about where this project falls. Netscape, Mozilla Suite, this project and the fourth generation being Firefox.

I thought tertiary had something to do with being on the ground. :oops:
schapel

Post by schapel »

Actually, dinosaurs lived during the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods. They all died off before the Tertiary period.
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

StarDrake and Griffin are very good. Griffin has been taken many times, though, but it's there to inspire new name proposals.

The only thing I dislike in StarDrake are the medial capitals (e.g. NotePad, OpenOffice, BenoitRen). They don't seem a very good choice when talking about our Mozilla. They're not very much used in web browser names. Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, Opera, Konqueror, Internet Explorer, Safari, Dillo, Galeon... should we keep the same line?

Let's keep the product image Mozilla already has, do you agree? Alter the name just a little bit. But let's still make up a completely new name, ok?
sometimes browsing these internets makes me laffo
Mozilla Suite user --- SeaMonkey supporter
(away for several months)
kef vurge

Kaisaru

Post by kef vurge »

Some quick etymological info: Mozilla= Mosaic + Godzilla. Godzilla (Gojira)*= gorira (gorilla) + kujira (whale).
*- The Godzilla spelling of Gojira is due to romanization.

So perhaps consider Kaisaru, which is a combination of what I believe to be the Japanese words for sea (kai) and for monkey (saru)*. I do not know what the actual word/phrase for a real sea-monkey (Artemia salina) would translate to be. Perhaps saru could be morphed into saur/saurus (lizard) since they are near in spelling. Though (to me) any word formed with 'sauros' seems a little cumbersome phonetically. There are no companies, products, or technologies named <a href="http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Kaisaru&num=100&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=off">Kaisaru</a>. Somebody has apparently used it as a username though.
*- (Warning:) I do not read, speak, or otherwise understand Japanese.

These are just foundational ideas. A name could get across the idea of an 'IE (Trident) killer'; a member of the Gecko browser family; a suite of apps (which otherwise exist independently in their zoomorphic fox/bird forms); a dragon; a dinosaur (as long as that isn't taken to mean slow, stupid, and/or extinct); etc.

[Too bad Motif (for browser/suite) and Muse (for mail+news component) are already being used by other software. Those were my other proposals.
Is the idea to avoid clashing names with all software even if they (the software) aren't comparable, or just with comparable software? I'm operating under the assumption of the former.]

[Edit:] Yeah, Scarrow, I remember (that's actually why I'm asking). I thought that situation was absurd and didn't think there was any matter of real etiquette involved. Thanks for the edification.
Last edited by kef vurge on March 18th, 2005, 12:44 am, edited 27 times in total.
Sunny Rabbiera

Post by Sunny Rabbiera »

Names that come to mind:
Tempris: a name I made up
Whiterabbit: to keep with the animal names
Barnstormer
and of course: Resurrection
more later...
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

Is the idea to avoid clashing names with all software even if they (the software) aren't comparable, or just comparable software? I'm operating under the assumption of the former.]

Kef, as I linked to in my first post, if you were around a few years ago, you'll recall the ugly mess that sprouted up between the Mozilla Foundation and the Firebird Database project, over the appellation: "<em>Firebird</em>"

You can read about it <a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3082&message=59&state=reply">here</a>.

So yes, the former.
bleyz

Post by bleyz »

Some comments:

The name 'Drake' and derivates seem to be enjoying some support!

Someone said Whiterabbit? While we're at it, add: 'Alice'. Has a similar ring to other popular software such as Maya, Amaya, Operaand such (2-3 syllables without consonant clusters). Also, Alice (as whiterabbit) evokes the package's possibilities: one pill makes you larges, and one pill makes you small, but the ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all... come to think of it, that's a pretty inspiriing song for the program. 'Go ask Alice, I think she'll know'.
ByronB

Post by ByronB »

But a Drake is also a male goose/duck

Drake is also used in some of the Linux themes..
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

How about "Artemia"? (from Artemia Salina = brine shrimp = Seamonkey)

Pros: It refers to the beloved brine shrimp, so it's a way of keeping "Seamonkey". It's not bland-sounding.
Cons: Four syllables. Artemia.com is already taken.