Seamonkey Project - Proposed Alternative Name Archive.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
bleyz

Post by bleyz »

The MoFo apparently does *not* want 'our' suite to be associated with the Mozilla name. So, arguing that one should go with a name that is easily connectable to the 'old' suite is going precisely *against* what the MoFo wants. I very much doubt that prefixing it with 'open' changes anything.
Paul

Post by Paul »

As I understood it the one name MoFo said could be used for the Suite is "Moz" with whatever term we might add with it, such as MozSuite or MozSeamonkey. Why pick a totally new name requiring name branding/name recognition all over again. Moz would already be known by many. We don't have much of a budget for advertising or breanding of the suite, so why not go with something already known as the Suite "Moz" and use either MozSuite or MozSeamonkey?
xandman

Post by xandman »

Paul wrote:Why pick a totally new name requiring name branding/name recognition all over again. Moz would already be known by many.

That's exactly why. They have Firefox and Thunderbird, they don't want an in-house application competing with their product, even if we have been relegated to the basement.
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

Late to the party, I suggest "Monolith Internet Suite", a.k.a. "Monolith", for reasons that should be obvious. It would also allow us to used the familiar "M" logo (assuming MoFo's permission):

For Seamonkey to continue to use this logo, it'd probably be necessary for Mozilla 1.7.x to use a different one, i.e. the lizard, but this doesn't seem too big a problem.

Edit: I'd like to damn Google for spoiling my suggestion with its tales of other things already called Monolith.

Let's see... "Megalith"?
benb

Post by benb »

omega1 wrote:Why not all work together under an already established name...

Beonex...?

Yes, if the seamonkey project wanted to use that name, I'd be open for it.
Additionally, I have some project infrastructure (server, half-written website geared at endusers, small but smart mirror network etc.)
Paul

Post by Paul »

benb wrote:
omega1 wrote:Why not all work together under an already established name...

Beonex...?

Yes, if the seamonkey project wanted to use that name, I'd be open for it.
Additionally, I have some project infrastructure (server, half-written website geared at endusers, small but smart mirror network etc.)

Beonex might object. has anyone asked them if they would donate their name to the SeaMonkey project. I doubt that they would willingly donate thename of their software product. How would we feel if another project began to use our project's name. I hate to say this but the name Beonex is not a good suggestion for a name for the Seamonkey Suite UNLESS the Beonex developers have publicly offered up the name of their software to the Seamonkey project to use. As far as I know they haven't.

Please stop suggesting nmaes that are already being used. It only wastes time. Also Google any name before suggesting it. If it is used for any any computer software or hardware product please refrain from suggesting it as it will only be a waste of time.
mmcguigan

Post by mmcguigan »

I don't think Ben was suggesting. I'm pretty sure that he is the owner of Beonex and is offering the name if it is wanted.
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

Umm... Paul? benb IS the owner of Beonex. ;) Hiya Ben! Long time no see! And I've still got a copy of Beonex installed on my hard drive with which I love to play every now and then! Those were sure the fun, "Good Ol' Days" and I miss them... Ah...

Amicalement et Mazzel!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
"Former Beonex User"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+
titetanium

Suggested name for Seamonkey

Post by titetanium »

How about SeaSuite?

Don't know if that's taken, It's a combination of the seamonkey name and the suite that it represents.

Durand
ray alex

Name

Post by ray alex »

In my second opinion regarding "the ev name" i will still suggest LIZZARD.
(not Lizard)
ZookQValem

Post by ZookQValem »

I still wouldn't recommended on naming anything that look almost like Godzilla.

How about SeaHorse?? SeaMonkey, SeaHorse, almost hte same thing... :-)
laketrout

Post by laketrout »

I have to say I really like emmeffe's suggestion of "Lighthouse". I'd expand that name to "Lighthouse Internet Suite". It uses the imagery of the Netscape Navigator's splash screen. It's the beacon that guides users through the "sea of the internet"...
The Teleport Suite

Post by The Teleport Suite »

After a while we'll need to gather all these names suggested, create a big poll, and ask people from various areas (not just this forum or developpers) to vote for about a month. We can't decide a name otherwise.
KaiRo

Post by KaiRo »

OK, we have "some" more progress. We had a list of 76 names in our first list, and we drove it down to 12 proposals just by closing out names with very reasonable explanations that stood true for our project council members. Based on that collection, we did quite some discussion, also with a few carefully picked developers who play big roles in development - one of the most important targets is that people working on the stuff can identify themselves with the project.
Today, we came to a decision, the whole council and those core developers agree on the name we decided upon. There's one open issue though: We want the name to get registered as a US trademark, so we forwarded that name to Mozilla Foundation, who will do the trademark registering process for us. Until we get clearance from their lawers, we can't and won't announce the naming decision, though it's been made. Please be patient.

We also have decided to combine the new project name with "council" to talk about the project management team, which may be know to some of you as "suite drivers" at the moment.
Additionally, the Gecko-1.8-based release will bear the version number 1.0 for our product, we've no decision yet what the previews to that will be called or what version numbers we'll be using afterwards.

I hope we'll get a word from the legal team soon, until then I hope you are satisfied enough if we tell you we have a decision. Maybe we'll publish the whole list we were working with, along with out comments for those which we abandoned in the first phase, we'll see about that when the new name gets "legalized".

Robert Kaiser,
Project council member
"Sometimes the roads we take do not turn out to be the roads we envisioned them to be" - Garth Brooks, booklet "the hits"
ShagratTheTitleless

Nozilla Suite

Post by ShagratTheTitleless »

Nozilla Suite has severeal benefits:

1. Slightly Humerous
2. Folks using it on the job might not even notice it has been changed.
3. I think it would avoid any name infringements. It clearly states that any one looking for anything zilla related best look elsewhere. Noz is not Moz barring use of the Chewbacca defense.
4. It shall be a MoFo No Mo.
Give me a New Tab Button on the Tab Bar or give me IE!