This is a good idea

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
old Neil Parks

This is a good idea

Post by old Neil Parks »

Nice to have all the forums for the whole family of browsers in one place. And I like the fact that the orig msg and its replies are all on one page now.
Shark Daddy

Post by Shark Daddy »

phpBB is really quite good. I'm a regular contributer/admin of 4 of them, and I see them popping up everywhere. Vive la...open-source!

We really need an MZine style though...
The Chosen One has spoken (you may resume your disorder).
kerz
mozillaZine Admin

MZ Style

Post by kerz »

I'd be open to having someone contribute an MZ style, if not, I plan on slowly tweaking stuff till I get it looking closer to MZ.

jason

PS, if you do contribute one, try to keep it low bandwidth!
Tony

Re: This is a good idea

Post by Tony »

Neil Parks wrote:Nice to have all the forums for the whole family of browsers in one place. And I like the fact that the orig msg and its replies are all on one page now.

The only thing that I preferred from the old forums was that the messages were threaded.
grayrest

Post by grayrest »

Kerz, please post when you're starting on a MZ style. I'm thinking about doing this, but it might be a few days and I wouldn't want to be duplicating efforts.
WJTW

Post by WJTW »

An open source forum on a site dedicated to an open-source software... a match made in heaven, don't you think?
WJTW
mojavelinux

Post by mojavelinux »

Tony wrote:The only thing that I preferred from the old forums was that the messages were threaded.

phpBB people don't believe in threaded messages for forums and I have to agree for a very good reason...too darn slow...you get tangled in the threads online...sure, it is great for mutt when you don't have to wait for the stupid pages to load...but in this case, the quoting system obsoletes the need for threads in simple dicussions such as these. Slashdot needs threads because its users diverge so regularly from the original dicussion.
herman

Post by herman »

Tony wrote:The only thing that I preferred from the old forums was that the messages were threaded.

Imho threading is indispensable for a technical forum.

mojavelinux wrote:phpBB people don't believe in threaded messages for forums and I have to agree for a very good reason...too darn slow...you get tangled in the threads online...sure, it is great for mutt when you don't have to wait for the stupid pages to load...but in this case, the quoting system obsoletes the need for threads in simple dicussions such as these. Slashdot needs threads because its users diverge so regularly from the original dicussion.

I strongly disagree,
I don´t want to read pages of "me too" postings, thats ok for an overclocker forum where people are showing fine nicks and cool mods and other crap.
If I got questions and/or answers to a bug, I want a threaded view,
so if a newbie asks for help, I can ask a question, get an answer,
ask two more questions, and give advice according to the answer.
Thats impossible with this style of forum.
This forum now has nice optics, entices users to post a lot to get a higher ranking, but has no advantages for reading.

Would be nice if Bugs forum and Builds forum could return to the old style.

herman
ksheka

Post by ksheka »

herman wrote:I don´t want to read pages of "me too" postings, thats ok for an overclocker forum where people are showing fine nicks and cool mods and other crap.
This forum now has nice optics, entices users to post a lot to get a higher ranking, but has no advantages for reading.

Would be nice if Bugs forum and Builds forum could return to the old style.

herman

I agree. Threads are nice. It keeps discussions in a logical order. Slashdot has a nested view which is pretty good, though, for threads that don't go too "deep".
lar3ry

Post by lar3ry »

herman wrote:I strongly disagree,
I don´t want to read pages of "me too" postings, thats ok for an overclocker forum where people are showing fine nicks and cool mods and other crap.

But when a post gets big (cf, "Phoenix needs a new name (maybe)" in Phoenix/General), it is sometimes nice to be able to skip to a specific page near the end, 'cause you already previously read the first seventeen pages...!

One thing I would like to see added is the ability for a user to specify that a particular thread is "uninteresting" (cf, same posting mentioned before). It's sometimes just a pain to enter a forum with "at least one unread post" and find its just yet another entry in a post that I thought was lame in the first place.

(Hmmm... I didn't realize until I previewed my posting here how apropos my .sig is for Phoenix...! And that is NOT a dig at Phoenix!)
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson