Anyone with a project hosted at Mozdev.org...

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
xyzzymage

Anyone with a project hosted at Mozdev.org...

Post by xyzzymage »

After being unable to reach Mozdev.org for at least a few days, I hunted around for answers just now and found this grim reply to someone asking about the outage:
Mozdev is currently ran by community volunteers since Mozdev's original staff stopped maintaining and developing things for the domain. At most the volunteers just try to keep the domain active, but since there isn't much active development anymore, there will be stretches where the domain goes offline for extended periods and the domain will lack of needed newer developers functions other developer sites might have such as GitHub.

(I'm not involved in any way, it just seemed right to give a heads-up/warning to the folks here that have been using it.)
SnoutSpout

Re: Anyone with a project hosted at Mozdev.org...

Post by SnoutSpout »

Mozdev going down probably impacts SeaMonkey more than Firefox. Especially the page with all the extensions modded for SeaMonkey usage. Perhaps Philip Chee can give an update since he maintains the page, I think.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Found something of relevance... and it's not pretty:
http://codeverge.com/mozilla.dev.extens ... rg/1990651

The hard disk is dying. We need to move mozdev.org off an ancient (+10
years hardware) equipment into a more modern VM at OSUOSL.

http://osuosl.org/services/hosting

Phil

--
Philip Chee ...
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You might try a bug in bugzilla. The folks at OSU are good people. Given the money Mozilla has there is no reason why this is still hosted there.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

SnoutSpout wrote:Mozdev going down probably impacts SeaMonkey more than Firefox. Especially the page with all the extensions modded for SeaMonkey usage. Perhaps Philip Chee can give an update since he maintains the page, I think.

I have the whole site in CVS here but it's going to be a PITA finding somewhere else to host the modified addons. Mozdev has/had some nice automation that pushes downloads to mirror sites. [thinks] You should still be able to get the modified files via one of the mirrors.[/thinks]

Phil
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Has anyone entered a bug? It shouldn't be all that hard to shame them to make it work
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

LoudNoise wrote:Has anyone entered a bug? It shouldn't be all that hard to shame them to make it work

Mozdev is not associated with Mozilla, yadda, yadda, yadda. I don't see how filing a bug would help. If you mean a Mozdev bug. If Mozdev isn't working, then neither is their Bugzilla.

Phil
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Has anyone tried support@osuosl.org can be used for support issues with a hosted system or service. Note: this is for support for project infrastructure which we host; we cannot provide end-user support for applications that are developed or hosted here.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Argh! This means that mycroft is down, too! Is there an alternate for search plugins?
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
James

Post by James »

smsmith wrote:Argh! This means that mycroft is down, too! Is there an alternate for search plugins?

http://mycroftproject.com/ works
James

Post by James »

www.mozdev.org appears to be working now.

James wrote:
smsmith wrote:Argh! This means that mycroft is down, too! Is there an alternate for search plugins?

http://mycroftproject.com/ works

If you were referring to http://mycroft.mozdev.org well that works as that directs to http://mycroftproject.com which worked for me then last week.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

We have a volunteer working on this during weekends (he has a regular 9-5 job after all).
1st June
> Would it be possible to start from zero and
> build up a new installation from the ground up on a VM, then migrate svn
> users and bugzilla data, leaving the web infrastructure for later?

This is one of the things I'm trying to determine. To understand the current setup, I just installed the same version of FreeBSD on a local virtual machine, and I'll compare the standard configuration of a blank system with the configuration of the mozdev machine. I'll then work incrementally until the configuration files match, creating a deployment script with the required steps. We can then apply the script on a more recent version or different distribution.

I'm currently rsync'ing all the content I can access (excluding for now the actual website content under CVS) to a machine located in the secure area in the London office, to which I have physical access. Connection speeds are excellent, thus this operation may be finished over the week-end, and I can find the file structure for comparison ready when I'm back on Monday.
12th June:
This is an update on the work I've been doing for transferring the entire file system locally. The operation just completed, the good news are that my copy is a best-effort backup of the state as of today.

I said "best-effort" because the copy ran on a live file system, thus there is a chance that databases and files may be corrupt, thus I wouldn't rely on this as a complete backup.

Phil
James

Post by James »

Cheers to the volunteer who did this.