SeaMonkey userChrome.css snippets

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Frank Lion

SeaMonkey userChrome.css snippets

Post by Frank Lion »

This first one just hides the offline status button on the statusbar if you are online, otherwise it shows it. You can still go offline (does anyone actually do this?) via the Menu> File> Work Offline entry.

Below namespace line -

Code: Select all

/*Franks Hide Offline status if online....*/
#offline-status:not([offline="true"]) {
   display: none !important; }
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Anonymosity

Re: SeaMonkey userChrome.css snippets

Post by Anonymosity »

Just out of curiosity, why would I want to do that? My status bar is not overcrowded.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Anonymosity wrote:My status bar is not overcrowded.

Good for you.

It's a button I never used, therefore it needn't be there. Not rocket science that one.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Here's one that makes the active tab upper corners rounded (at least on OS X), so that it fits with the Mac system look a bit better

/* barbaz's user style to make SeaMonkey active tab round-cornered */
.tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"],
.tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"] *
{

border-top-left-radius: 6.5px !important;
border-top-right-radius: 6.5px !important;

}

Doesn't work in Linux for some reason... any insights why?

@Frank Lion: thanks for your user style, added to my Stylish. Did you put all those periods in the comment in your style just for this guy? :wink: :-"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote:Doesn't work in Linux for some reason... any insights why?

I'll check it out sometime.

@Frank Lion: thanks for your user style, added to my Stylish. Did you put all those periods in the comment in your style just for this guy? :wink: :-"

Nope, it's part of the way I write .css code. When you work at very fast speed, as I always do, and I need to comment out a section, I cut the last */ and paste it at the end. Done very quickly, there's a tendency to also grab the last part of the comment itself.

The ....*/ stops that happening. :)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Frank Lion wrote:
barbaz wrote:Doesn't work in Linux for some reason... any insights why?

I'll check it out sometime.

Oddly enough it DOES have an effect in Linux if I use either Modern theme or your Metal Lion Silver theme (in the latter case the difference is hard to see)... :?
Guess then that it's something in the default theme on Linux that's overriding user styles... :(
(I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with the Radiance system theme)

Frank Lion wrote:Nope, it's part of the way I write .css code

I was joking but nice tip, thanks for sharing.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote:Guess then that it's something in the default theme on Linux that's overriding user styles...

The reason is that the default SM theme is a 'native' theme that takes 90%+ of its styling from the Operating System. -moz-appearance: none !important would override the OS border styling there, but would mean that you would then lose the rest of the tab styling there. The subject is covered in greater detail here - viewtopic.php?p=13337153#p13337153
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Frank Lion wrote:You can still go offline (does anyone actually do this?)

Actually, I do sometimes :!: And the reason is not really reading web pages offline but going back to the previous page where I filled in a form and want to preserve its content. If I go offline before going back I have a higher chance of getting the form with all values filled in - this depends on headers sent by the server, of course, but overall the chances are higher. The button is a useful relic for me :mrgreen:
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

I use KompoZer and so keep forgetting what the SM Composer buttons are on the rare times I use it. This fixes that problem -

/*Franks Composer Toolbarbutton Text to the right...*/
#EditToolbar toolbarbutton {-moz-box-orient: horizontal !important;}
#EditToolbar .toolbarbutton-text { display: -moz-box !important;} 

...if you want the text underneath then leave out the -moz-box-orient line and it'll default to vertical automatically.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

This next one is not .css, but this tip is not worth starting a thread on.

Put this in the addressbar -

chrome://communicator/content/pref/preferences.xul

..and resize the window and there you have the new, talked about, feature of Firefox 38. -
http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Lo ... tml#sgal_2

Despite the toadie in the article above being really impressed by this, it is actually a really old idea - viewtopic.php?p=32511#p32511

Ironically, considering how much time the Firefox devs spent on their version, the SeaMonkey equivalent looks better and lays out better! Anyway, for what it's worth, that's how to do the very latest Firefox feature in 10 seconds in SM.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

That spoils the size of my browser window. I like having the preferences being in a separate window anyway.
therube

Post by therube »

the SeaMonkey equivalent looks better and lays out better!

Agreed.
that's how to do the very latest Firefox feature in 10 seconds in SM.

Heh.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
NanM

Post by NanM »

Frank Lion wrote:the SeaMonkey equivalent looks better and lays out better!

therube wrote:Agreed.

+1. Text remains the most prominent feature - unlike the bland copycat 'look and feel' (great stuff, that cliche, if you like your meetings to be all touchy feely willy nilly I suppose).

I'm with
Anonymosity wrote:That spoils the size of my browser window. I like having the preferences being in a separate window anyway.

Any cues that help me to separate online stuff from local is very much worth it in a busy session.

Thanks for the tip to Frank Lion.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Here's some 'grippy' code based on some that I did for a visually impaired user who could never locate them -

/*Franks Visible Grippies...*/

grippy {
   background-color: red !important;
  border-left:  1px solid green !important;
  border-right: 1px solid yellow !important;
   }

grippy:hover {
   background-color: blue !important;}

I've made the colours obvious, so you can see what does what and if anyone still has trouble then just change that border-left to 10 pixels
NanM

Post by NanM »

Frank Lion wrote:Here's some 'grippy' code

Idly trying it while waiting for a call ..... so this post is merely feedback.
Won't run in the default old or modern SM theme - - - either in this Puppy 6.0 default theme (JWM/IceWM/Rox) or in the Win 7 default theme.

Grippies are those toggle see/hide handles up at the LH of each toolbar, aren't they?