Need help upgrading SeaMonkey Contributor build in Linux.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
groze5858

Need help upgrading SeaMonkey Contributor build in Linux.

Post by groze5858 »

Need help upgrading SeaMonkey Contributor build in Linux. I know I could overwrite the SeaMonkey files that is not what I want.

I download the newer SeaMonkey Contributor build located in /home/name/Downloads/ the extracted folder is called seamonkey.

I put the old seamonkey folder in /home/name/.mozilla/

How do I upgrade but preserve the SeaMonkey Settings in Linux. I am using Lubuntu 14.10 with xfce desktop,

Thank you for your help in advance
barbaz

Re: Need help upgrading SeaMonkey Contributor build in Linux

Post by barbaz »

The install directory is totally different frm your profile where settings are kept. The profile is somewhere in ~/.mozilla and the install directory could be.. well... anywhere outside ~/.mozilla

Just delete the old SeaMonkey install directory and unpack the new SeaMonkey to the same location.

Basically, as long as you keep ~/.mozilla you should be fine
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

That's not what I want, for now I don't have SeaMonkey installed. I just wish I could use the SeaMonkey Contributor build that would auto update with Software Updater in Xubuntu. This way it will update without deleting the profile. I switched to Xubuntu Linux now and have Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera Installed which all auto update with Software Updater.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

groze5858 wrote:That's not what I want, for now I don't have SeaMonkey installed. I just wish I could use the SeaMonkey Contributor build that would auto update with Software Updater in Xubuntu. This way it will update without deleting the profile.

???
Er.. it's never supposed to delete the profile on update!!! Likely something is wrong with your setup if it's doing that.
Do you have a customized profiles.ini, either manually edited or set up with the standalone profile manager?

EDIT Also, I don't think any flavor of Ubuntu offers any kind of package of SeaMonkey in the default repositories so there's no way to auto update it with their software updater unless you do your own .deb builds and have your own PPA you've manually added to your system, or unless you want to trust some 3rd party builder with their own PPA to make .deb packages of SeaMonkey for you.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

groze5858 wrote:That's not what I want, for now I don't have SeaMonkey installed. I just wish I could use the SeaMonkey Contributor build that would auto update with Software Updater in Xubuntu.

Not going to happen IMHO.

Just add this repository, install SeaMonkey from it, and upgrade from there.

UbuntuUpdates - PPA: Ubuntuzilla

I don't even bother with it, and just update my installed to /home/name/applications/seamonkey Contributor build from SeaMonkey.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

Lets try this again.

See I downloaded sea-monkey contributor build and extracted the folder which is called seaMonkey. Moved that folder to /home/username/ directory.

The issue is the sea-moneky profile, it is actually located in /home/username/seamonkey/defaults/profile/

When you get a new release, extract the SeaMonkey folder and copy the new seamonkey folder to /home/username/seamonkey you overwrite the profile folder.

So this means I am not installing the SeaMoneky Contributor correctly.

If Opera, Google and Firefox can use software updater. SeaMonkey contributor build should be able to do the samething.

How do I install the SeaMoneky Contributor correctly?
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

WLS wrote:
groze5858 wrote:That's not what I want, for now I don't have SeaMonkey installed. I just wish I could use the SeaMonkey Contributor build that would auto update with Software Updater in Xubuntu.

I don't even bother with it, and just update my installed to /home/name/applications/seamonkey Contributor build from SeaMonkey.

Is that that 64 bit build? I might use your method.

How do you tell if the Firefox build you are using in Linux is a 64 bit or 32 bit? I get Firefox XUbuntu?
James

Post by James »

groze5858 wrote:Lets try this again.

See I downloaded sea-monkey contributor build and extracted the folder which is called seaMonkey. Moved that folder to /home/username/ directory.

The issue is the sea-moneky profile, it is actually located in /home/username/seamonkey/defaults/profile/

When you get a new release, extract the SeaMonkey folder and copy the new seamonkey folder to /home/username/seamonkey you overwrite the profile folder.

So this means I am not installing the SeaMoneky Contributor correctly.

If Opera, Google and Firefox can use software updater. SeaMonkey contributor build should be able to do the samething.

How do I install the SeaMoneky Contributor correctly?

The separate Profiles should not be touched unless you are deleting the Profiles folder which should be in /home/name/.mozilla/ area by default.

There are no updates for these builds as you can see in http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.33.1/update/

groze5858 wrote:How do you tell if the Firefox build you are using in Linux is a 64 bit or 32 bit? I get Firefox XUbuntu?

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:37.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/37.0 though a normal 64-bit Firefox UA is like Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0

A 32-bit Linux UA is like mine Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0 which is of a Nightly development channel build.

There is also a UA for if you are using 32-bit Firefox on 64-bit Linux but I do not have an example at moment and too tired to look.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

groze5858 wrote:Is that that 64 bit build? I might use your method.

How do you tell if the Firefox build you are using in Linux is a 64 bit or 32 bit? I get Firefox XUbuntu?

This the User Agent for my SeaMonkey and it is the 64-bit Contributor Build.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0 SeaMonkey/2.33.1

This is my 64-bit Firefox UA installed from Kubuntu.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:37.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/37.0
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

James wrote:There is also a UA for if you are using 32-bit Firefox on 64-bit Linux but I do not have an example at moment and too tired to look.

Like this

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686 on x86_64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

Thank you all for your help. I decided to use WLS method.

barbaz wrote:Like this

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686 on x86_64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0 SeaMonkey/2.30

So the key word is "on" for 32 bit
James

Post by James »

groze5858 wrote:
barbaz wrote:Like this

So the key word is "on" for 32 bit

Yeah that was it. Kinda like how WOW64 is used to show it is a 32-bit application on 64-bit Windows.
Pim

Post by Pim »

I don't understand this problem at all.

Yes, you can put your profile in the same directory as the application if you want to, but WHY? Why not leave it in the default location of /home/yourname/.mozilla?
Groetjes, Pim
groze5858

Post by groze5858 »

WLS wrote:

How soon does that repository get updated. Just notice Seamonkey has an update.