Pocket coming to SeaMonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LuvKomputrs

Pocket coming to SeaMonkey?

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Was wondering if Pocket might be included in the next release or perhaps later releases of SeaMonkey. :-k
It seems to be appearing in a lot of browsers I've been testing.
Anybody think the SeaMonkey devs might give SeaMonkey users this option?
barbaz

Re: Pocket coming to SeaMonkey?

Post by barbaz »

As far as I'm aware it's (currently) browser/ only - meaning, specific to Firefox. If SeaMonkey wants it they'll have to port it over.
However, I haven't reviewed every related commit, and I decided I didn't want to mess with it when deciding what my SeaMonkey '2.35pre' would be. Note my user-agent :wink:

LuvKomputrs wrote:Anybody think the SeaMonkey devs might give SeaMonkey users this option?

Personally I hope it stays just that to SeaMonkey, an option. Maybe installable as an extension for those who want it, or even an extension that's installed by default if it comes to that, but please not built-in (or at least make it disable-able at build time by a mozconfig option). If it becomes built-in I'd consider it "bloat" as I personally don't need that sort of service.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Are the Mozilla developers adding all these things to Firefox in an attempt to attract back the users they lost when they gutted its interface? Apparently, screen sharing is now also included in Firefox. The last thing I need is screen sharing. I have no need for remote access stuff like that. It is just another portal for malware to sneak in.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I think you are thinking about this backwards. It *already* is an "option" in that it started life as an extension, and you might be able to run the extension through the addon converter:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... -it-later/

And SM developers aren't ones to jump onto the latest craze.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

barbaz wrote:Personally I hope it stays just that to SeaMonkey, an option. Maybe installable as an extension for those who want it, or even an extension that's installed by default if it comes to that, but please not built-in (or at least make it disable-able at build time by a mozconfig option). If it becomes built-in I'd consider it "bloat" as I personally don't need that sort of service.

Me too. :wink:
Personally I don't consider it a bloat.
If it's added to SeaMonkey, users probably will be able to do the same thing to enable/disable it the same way as in Firefox 38.0.5
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I think you are thinking about this backwards. It *already* is an "option" in that it started life as an extension, and you might be able to run the extension through the addon converter:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... -it-later/

And SM developers aren't ones to jump onto the latest craze.

Good to know. :)
Also really like that the SM developers take the effort & time to make sure each component of SeaMonkey is really what the users want. :wink: