Lost Messages in Verizon WebMail

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Roger Davis

Lost Messages in Verizon WebMail

Post by Roger Davis »

I have been having problems losing WebMail messages. My screen is set to show all messages, sometimes over 100. I may delete or move up to 50 at once at times. When the problem occurs, the message list may be confused, with messages out of the proper sort order, or duplicated.

Verizon denies the problem. I think it lies there. Some of the reporting messages are below.

I would like to know if perhaps SeaMonkey could lose track of a screen refresh of 100 or more messages and cause this kind of confusion due to latency, cache overflow (cache resets in the middle of the screen due to insufficient margin to the adjust point), use of HTTP 1.1 instead of HTTP 1.0, or?

I use both Ubuntu and Windoze. The problem happens on both.

If this is a known bug, I can't find it, but if not, I will repost as a bug.

-------------------------------
PROOF !!!
[ Edited ]
Options

‎06-16-2015 07:28 PM - last edited on ‎06-16-2015 07:38 PM by Moderator ElizabethS

WebMail loses count of messages, would have lost some of my older email this time (but has before) if I hadn't caught it and refreshed! First, the errored screen:
Screenshot from 2015-06-16 19:07:37.png (removed by Verizon)
Now, after refresh :
Screenshot from 2015-06-16 19:08:22.png (removed by Verizon)
Notice the messages that "appeared" after the refresh, my oldest messages... These are often lost if I don't catch the error and refresh.

Why don't you load an email application on your machine rather than using webmail. Then you could massage them any way you like, keep them for ever and actually have multiple backup copies on different machines. Leaving the email application open all the time would have the mail delivered to your machine as soon as it reaches your isp mailbox.

‎06-17-2015 04:00 PM
NOT a solution.

I use three different computers to access my email, at two different locations. They must remain in sync, IMPOSSIBLE with a standard email app.

MUCH better if Verizon simply finds and fixes the problem.
Report inappropriate content
Message 3 of 6 (54 Views)

Justin Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

‎06-17-2015 04:32 PM - edited ‎06-17-2015 04:33 PM
First, we cannot see the images you posted, they have not yet been approved by a Moderator. So anything I say here is just a guess.

I have not seen anybody else make the same complaint your have, so I think it is very probable it is a user setting issue. So I wonder what your setting is for Number of messages per page? One of the options is No Limit, which will always display all of the messages in your inbox.

But I really doubt the messages would have been lost anyway, I think they were still there.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)
Report inappropriate content
Message 5 of 6 (42 Views)

Add Tag...
Reply Accept as Solution
JRD
Copper Contributor
JRD
0 Kudos
Re: PROOF !!!
Options

‎06-18-2015 03:22 PM

I really don't want to be obnoxious about this, but I get tired of Verizon telling me I'm in error.
So:
1) I do have it set to show ALL messages.
2) The pictures were not approved by Verizon, because they show my entire email screen (which is the whole point!!!). So their logic is: refuse the screens and don't show the proof, or I drop the screen shots and don't show the proof. Verizon gets you coming and going...
3) Last time this came up and I hacked around a bit, I got a 501 error message from the WebMail connection. 501 is an error on their site (see below). It is NOT an error on my end. NOTE that the info below clearly states this.
4) The messages are NOT still present, in the inbox, sent, drafts, spam, trash, or any of my other folders. I spent HOURS looking before speaking up, AND got Verizon to look also. NOT THERE !!!
=================================================
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001020.htm
What do I do if I get a 501 error on the Internet?
501A 501 is HTTP status code for not implemented. This status code is received when the server does not support the facility required.
Note: A 501 error is not something you can fix, but rather will require a fix by the web server admin who manages the website and server you are trying to access.
Web server overload
If the server that is handling the web page you're attempting to load is experiencing high traffic or is otherwise overloaded, it may be unable to complete your request and generate this error. If you're experiencing this error on a known good page, try loading the page again in a few minutes. If that is unsuccessful, try loading the page again later that day or the next day.
Web server errors
This error can also be encountered when the web server does not properly respond to the web browser's request or the program attempting to make a request with the web server.
Web server out of date
Finally, in some rare situations, the web server may need a software upgrade in order to properly communicate with your web browser or program.
======================================================
DanRaisch

Re: Lost Messages in Verizon WebMail

Post by DanRaisch »

Roger Davis wrote:I use three different computers to access my email, at two different locations. They must remain in sync, IMPOSSIBLE with a standard email app.

Well, first, that's not true if the email provider offers IMAP access to the accounts.

It's doubtful that SeaMonkey would be involved in the problem and if there was an issue of lag in the display, pressing Ctrl+F5 to refresh the data from the server and the display of that page would normally resolve the issue.
therube

Post by therube »

Does the same happen if you were using IE ?

I too doubt it would be anything on your end.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Verizon does not offer IMAP access to email accounts, only POP.

In my Thunderbird which should be close to SeaMonkey settings, I have for Account Settings > Server Settings, Leave messages on server for at most 30 days.

So if I had 3 computers, the messages would be there.

I'm not sure what Verizon's storage limit is for my email account.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5