Windows 10...Any conflicts?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Redbugdave

Windows 10...Any conflicts?

Post by Redbugdave »

I just upgraded to 10 from 7. I would have preferred to have waited, but it loaded itself and I think I should have unselected the upgrade and hidden it.

Anyways...The only thing I have noticed different with Seamonkey so far was the theme I was using. I was using the Default Theme and all the background came up white. I switched to one like it...Seamonkey Modern.

So far, that's the only thing I have found. And I do not care much for Windows 10.
therube

Re: Windows 10...Any conflicts?

Post by therube »

Something potentially brewing on the FF end, Windows 10 Update New Tab Crash.
Who knows if SeaMonkey might be affected likewise?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

I did try Seamonkey for a bit and it worked fine. As for win 10. I hated it. Went back to windows 7. Its almost like windows 8. If you have that, than the upgrade probably makes sense. Windows 7, don't do it. Ironically the only browser that seemed to be a tad slow was the new MS browser Edge. And Edge is also awful. I don't use firefox anymore so can't judge that in win 10.
Last edited by Pauliemon on August 4th, 2015, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Paulieman...I felt exactly the same way about 10. I am getting used to 10 and may keep it after all. I found the old Windows Media Player which I like. Also found the Old Windows Photo Viewer. Also, if you do go with Win 10, you need to check the security settings. A lot of advertising bloat going out on you otherwise. I agree MS Edge is horrible.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

try using the SM 2.35 release on Win10 and see if that one works well on it
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

I'm using 2.35 on Windows 10 and it works fine, no problems.

I installed Stardock's Start10 because I still don't like the Microsoft Start Menu that comes with Windos 10. Classic Shell is another good alternative. Other than that I like Windows 10, it's fast and rock solid for me.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

Ztruker wrote:I'm using 2.35 on Windows 10 and it works fine, no problems.

I installed Stardock's Start10 because I still don't like the Microsoft Start Menu that comes with Windos 10. Classic Shell is another good alternative. Other than that I like Windows 10, it's fast and rock solid for me.

that's good to hear. try the new 2.38 release on Win10, which came out recently.
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Had not received any notice about 2.38. Just upgraded now. So far so good.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Have been running Win10 for ~2 months now - and using SeaMonkey the whole time.

First 2.33.1, then 2.35, then I started using the unofficial 64-bit builds - the only weirdness I saw with any of this that related to the OS was with a "2.37" build (which of course never existed ;) ) that wouldn't "share" the pinned icon of the taskbar with running instances - when started, I always got a separate icon on the taskbar - big deal, and that went away with 2.38 - still 64-bit, BTW. :)

And for me, "Edge" seems to be an extremely fast browser, not that I care all that much - and the rest of Win10 seems fast and stable - and even looks nice once you get away from the supplied themes... but the forced reboots are annoying.

On that subject, I am fairly ticked off at what seems to be "abuse" from MSFT - while it is true that you can turn off / delay "updates" with the Pro version of Win10, MSFT just happily classifies *everything* as an alleged "security patch", which of course, gets rammed down the throat of your poor computer. ](*,)