Cancelled Transmissions

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
troothteller

Cancelled Transmissions

Post by troothteller »

When a user cancels an email transmission, where does the message go? I just cancelled a message to double-check the names of recipients, and it appears to have disappeared altogether, not in any Drafts folder.
DanRaisch

Re: Cancelled Transmissions

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have SeaMonkey set to save Drafts periodically during composition? If not the draft may have been discarded when you cancelled the message.

Check that setting under menu path Edit->Preferences->Composition->Automatically save the message every NN minutes.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Dan, it is set to automatically save every 5 minutes.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did it take you less than 5 minutes to compose that message?
At what point did you cancel the message? Before you clicked on Send?
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Yes, it did take more than five minutes to compose the message. I clicked on Cancel after I clicked on Send.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In that case it's likely that the Draft version was deleted after you clicked Send (which is normal) but before you cancelled the process.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Dan, since I just looked at Preferences, and don't see any other way to avoid this, one must save periodically in Drafts a message that he is taking his time working on, saving as he adds to and revises. There is no automatic Save. So, next time I have to save a long message in Drafts in order to run down all the recipients I want to include. Is that the way we have to do it in SeaMonkey.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There is no automatic Save.

Not so. Check that setting under menu path Edit->Preferences->Mail & Newsgroups->Composition->Automatically save the message every NN minutes.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Dan, that was already set to five minutes and it did not save.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please review my comments above. It may have been saved, but SeaMonkey deletes the Draft version when the message is sent. What seems to have happened is that you cancelled the send after that draft copy was deleted.

You can check this for yourself: Compose a message and let it sit in a composition stage for more than the 5 minutes. Check the Drafts folder after 6 minutes or so have elapsed to see if a Draft copy has been saved.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Dan, I see what you mean. I had a composition box open. As soon as I gave it a subject and made myself a recipient it appeared in Drafts. Sending it caused it to disappear. The testing for sending and cancelling I have not been able to do. It seems that the option to cancel is something rare, almost seldom never occurring. I was only able to do it with a recipient whose email no longer works. After several tries to this defunct email address, I just canceled and found the message still in the Draft folder. The message is still up in its box. It's giving me the option to Save in Drafts. By clicking Don't Save the message disappeared from Drafts.