YouTube - no fullscren mode, "about:permissions"?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Justinh

YouTube - no fullscren mode, "about:permissions"?

Post by Justinh »

The fullscreen mode on YouTube is disabled for every video. YouTube has a debug page, and one of the suggestions for Firefox is to look at "about:permissions" (then look for the Fullscreen setting). What is the equivalent of this permissions interface in SM2.33? I've poked around Data Manager and Preferences and haven't seen anything for fullscreen permissions.

Thanks,
Justin
therube

Re: YouTube - no fullscren mode, "about:permissions"?

Post by therube »

> fullscreen mode on YouTube is disabled for every video

URL?

Are you being served Flash or HTML5?
Flash should be working.

For HTML5:

This should do it, True Full Screen in SeaMonkey.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em6Hddyytlw
HTML5

The problem is the control is disabled. SM on another machine does not exhibit this behavior. So, there is a setting in my profile causing this. Disabling all my add-ons doesn't fix it.

What makes this even more crazy is if I switch to a new profile on this computer, I don't see the full screen icon at all! :shock:
amrad

Post by amrad »

Works for me in SeaMonkey 2.33.1 in Win XP Pro SP3. Plays with Flash. Still plays when Flash is disabled, presumably HTML5

Regards,

Dave.
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

I've been having the same problems for several months with YouTube in SeaMonkey, and even before YT switched their to HTML5 by default.

So I tried that True Full Screen add-on, and now my entire SeaMonkey UI is borked! The fullscreen UI appears when not in Fullscreen, with
no status bar, menu bar or bookmarks bar. If I switch to fullscreen (F11) the non-fullscreen UI rappears in a sort of impromtu kiosk mode,
with the menu bar right at the top, totally covering up where the title bar would be.

A couple of example screengrabs . . .

In non-fullscreen:

In fullscreen (F11):

If that add-on is disabled, the UI is still borked. Same goes if the add-on is removed. It's made my browser virtually unusable.
therube

Post by therube »

With Youtube, they sniff your browser version & OS & serve you based on that.
Come SeaMonkey 2.35 & OS > XP, you should end up with HTML5, by default, where now, you may still be with Flash.

presumably HTML5

Right-click the video, should clue you in.

It's made my browser virtually unusable.

If you restart the browser, it's "fixed", right?

More recent SeaMonkey's had a Full Screen bug, that has since been fixed.
You may be running a version prior to the fix?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

If you restart the browser, it's "fixed", right?

No. On my other Windows installation (8.1) running a recent v2.38 test build, the bug is present since installing that add-on.

More recent SeaMonkey's had a Full Screen bug, that has since been fixed.
You may be running a version prior to the fix?

Well perhaps that add-on triggered the bug in question on that v2.38 test build. As I type this, I'm using SM 2.33.1 on W7,
which doesn't have that particular bug AFAIK, but most likely has a few security bugs by now since it is quite outdated.
therube

Post by therube »

No. On my other Windows installation (8.1) running a recent v2.38 test build, the bug is present since installing that add-on.

What theme are you running?

Other then the top of the theme being "scrambled", do you have "badness" (unexpected whitespace) at the bottom of your windows?

Change the theme to Default, Quit, Restart, change the theme back to your current, Quit, Restart & see if that "fixes" it?
casper1975

Post by casper1975 »

I'm having the same problem but I found the Yotube Flash Video Player Extension & that works for me:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... src=search
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

DJGM wrote:So I tried that True Full Screen add-on, and now my entire SeaMonkey UI is borked!

Can you provide more details about what extensions you have installed and what theme - along with their version numbers? And which SM build exactly? This might help me troubleshoot the problem. I've just tested True Full Screen in SM 2.38b1 build 20150904215228, installed Classic Firefox theme for SeaMonkey 0.0.16 (with maxVersion bumped), which you appear to be using, and full screen works without any problems - both in html5 youtube and on other pages via F11. This must be an extension or theme conflict.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Jinix

Post by Jinix »

Youtube just gave me the same as the op - no full screen.
When I turned on my browser today Seamonky said it's autoupdating to 2.33 and I can't watch full videos now.
How can I UN update seamonkey and go back to the previous version that doesn't have this bug.
Is there some way to ask seamonkey to NEVER update ever?

I had to join this forum merely to ask this as none of the replies tell the answer.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

The problem is that youtube started serving video in html5 for Firefox 38 and higher with no apparent way to switch back to Flash (SM 2.35 is based on Fx 38). With html5 full screen is achieved with a different method - with javascript full screen API (instead of Flash), which unfortunately is turned off by default in SM but in fact works partially. There are a couple solutions:

1. Set full-screen-api.enabled to true in about:config. Full screen in html5 youtube will start working. This is the least invasive method, however this full screen is not "true" because a narrow top navigation pane is still visible.

2. Install True Full Screen in SeaMonkey extension - for most people this will work fine. I'm using this all the time and have no problems. Youtube plays in html5 full screen mode and other web sites using modern full screen API also work fine (like slide shows).

3. Install YouTube Flash Video Player and get SM to play youtube in Flash like in the old days. However, this will not "fix" other sites that use full screen API but you can combine this with method #1.

And finally, please vote for bug 1096098 where I proposed a patch to turn on full screen API in SM, which is a first step to make SM full screen capable browser. The bug seems to be forgotten by the devs, probably due to recent problems with making new releases.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Mr. Juice:
You have the fix! I set full-screen-api.enabled and it works.

What I don't understand is why I had to make that change for it to work. On another profile (or clean SM install), that pref = false but the full-screen mode control is still enabled.

Thanks,
Justin
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Justinh wrote:What I don't understand is why I had to make that change for it to work. On another profile (or clean SM install), that pref = false but the full-screen mode control is still enabled.

If you are talking about youtube - in SM 2.33 it uses Flash by default and full screen is done by Flash and independent on the API config. But you can switch youtube to html5 and then the config will make a difference - so you may have different youtube settings in different profiles. In SM 2.35 youtube is set to html5 at all times (unless you use an extension to change that) so the config is more relevant there.