SeaMonkey 2.38 has been released!

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
rsx11m

SeaMonkey 2.38 has been released!

Post by rsx11m »

Note that SeaMonkey 2.36 and 2.37 releases were skipped in order to get back on track with the release train.

Official announcement and release notes:
Security fixes:
  • The list of known vulnerabilities hasn't been updated for SeaMonkey 2.38 yet. For reference, the Firefox 41 release lists 19 fixed security issues, 4 of which were critical.

Known Issue:

The server certificate has expired and needed to be replaced. Consequently, if you update from 2.33.1 or earlier with the built-in "Check for Updates" function, you may receive a message stating "Something is trying to trick SeaMonkey into accepting an insecure update." Note that this is not an indication that your system or the server has been compromised; rather, download the full installer from http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ which will also contain the new certificate for future updates.
Zerebralus

Re: SeaMonkey 2.38 has been released!

Post by Zerebralus »

And also some gui changes that Ghostery once again doesn't work.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

rsx11m wrote:The server certificate has expired and needed to be replaced. Consequently, if you update from 2.33.1 or earlier with the built-in "Check for Updates" function, you may receive a message stating "Something is trying to trick SeaMonkey into accepting an insecure update.

Aaah so that's it, showed up when I tried to update my Pup SM's, any workaround other than the one suggested ?

@All good with Win7.. thanks :)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

:-).

Memory usage, on startup from Session Restore (at least in 1 Profile, so far), looks better:

Code: Select all

Private Bytes / Working Set
2.35 -   1708 / 2576
2.38 -   1507 / 2353

I suppose it was the "fix" for the Adblock Plus issue (but would also seemingly help other extensions, but to a lessor extent - I don't use ABP)?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

mightyglydd wrote:Aaah so that's it, showed up when I tried to update my Pup SM's, any workaround other than the one suggested ?

I'm not aware of any way to convince the old code that the update is ok (e.g., explicitly downloading a certificate/signature to install somewhere). If Toolkit "thinks" that the update isn't valid and doesn't know about the new certificate, getting the TAR file to overwrite from scratch is probably the only way to go (which, interestingly, isn't signed on Linux anyway).
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The only thing is, the version numbers for add-ons are no longer displayed unless you click "More". I had to add an extension to put the versions numbers back in the list view.
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

Anonymosity wrote:The only thing is, the version numbers for add-ons are no longer displayed unless you click "More". I had to add an extension to put the versions numbers back in the list view.

I would say it's easier to tell someone to use another addon than rather fix this css (firefox) bug.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yeah, another "improvement" inherited from Firefox... :doubt:
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

There is not a "css fix" for this anyway. They didn't hide the number, they completely removed it.

This is the extension, I haven't tested it in SM yet... am hoping there is a "easy" way to fix this in SeaFox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ionnumber/
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote:There is not a "css fix" for this anyway. They didn't hide the number, they completely removed it.

If I recall that bug right, the sole reason the Addon version number was removed was that it was breaking the inContent Addons Manager layout.

Not one single Firefox dev there thought 'Whoa! perhaps if we didn't needlessly use such massive fonts on this page then the content would actually fit easily' and why remove, not hide, anyway?

SM devs should be fixing lunacy like that, not meekly just accepting what's offered to them.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

patrickjdempsey wrote:... am hoping there is a "easy" way to fix this in SeaFox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ionnumber/

The easy fix is already there - Old Addons Manager 0.2 by Exalm, gives you the old window back and has retained the version numbers as well in 2.38.

viewtopic.php?p=14221973#p14221973

I've been using it for months now and it's very good. As I mentioned to the SM devs at the time, it should be in SM by default to make consistency with the Preferences window. No one likes this crap InContinent stuff anyway.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

SeaMonkey devs could also easily fix this issue... they just need to use the bindings from 2.33. I attempted to do some patchwork and just created a bunch of errors with no results. I'm admittedly very rusty at this point though.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

A lot of stuff is happening with the "about:" pages that affects the other applications as well (and yes, the choice of fonts is awful - if they want to make them larger to please high-def users, at least check beforehand if the user actually has such a display, and also which size the application window currently occupy? I've seen websites managing their layout depending on the actual sizes, which seems like a good idea...).

Bottom line, a couple of style changes are about to be rolled back, the first one being the Private Browsing window, effective with 2.38 already.

BTW: I'm using https://addons.mozilla.org/seamonkey/ad ... ionnumber/ to get the version numbers back into the Addons-Manager page.
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

well of course... the addon version number works fine, but in normal browser windows the whole view is shifted or distorted . Probably because of the already noted fonts . All in all, the pure version 2.38 apart from the contained fixes
Last edited by rsx11m on September 28th, 2015, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for language
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Making those about: pages "nice" again requires looking at them one by one and figure out if and how corrections can be made and if forking of the entire page is necessary and feasible. Meaning, giving limited resources, it takes a while.

If someone thinks that something is "easy to fix" the suggestion - as always - is to open a bug if none exists yet and put up a patch for review. That's how it works in a community project.