MozillaZine

SeaMonkey 2.38 has been released!

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Anonymosity

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 2:04 pm

patrickjdempsey wrote:This problem does not appear to be restricted to Extensions, I'm also seeing it in Themes now. The global skin isn't being loaded.

Surely if the theme has a global subdirectory in the installer, and it is listed in chrome.manifest, it gets loaded. I see evidence of that right now. I changed the colour scheme of the Kilome theme for SeaMonkey, and I am looking at that colour scheme right now.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 2:26 pm

Surely you didn't read the part where I said the problem is intermittent even for me, and so far I'm one of the few people noticing it, and that it would be very difficult for non-themer/developers to figure out. I have two SeaFox users who have also reported it aside from myself.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

rsx11m

Post Posted October 1st, 2015, 4:54 pm

To get this back on topic: OpenSUSE Build Service has posted the SM 2.38 RPMs for their Linux distributions today. 8-)

Artemis Moongazer

Post Posted October 2nd, 2015, 7:36 pm

Hey, I read elsewhere on this forum that the Seamonkey project is kind of a carrying of the torch for the old Netscape browser. Does Seamonkey also have the Australis UI from Firefox, or is it more like "old" or "classic" Firefox (which itself was more like Netscape)?

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted October 2nd, 2015, 8:29 pm

SeaMonkey is the modern continuation of the Mozilla Suite, which was the open sourced side of Netscape after it was forked in 1998. It is built off of the same rendering engine and shares a great deal of core code with Firefox, but also includes a mail client that shares code with Thunderbird, an addressbook, and a rather out of date WYSIWYG HTML editor.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2802461
Last edited by patrickjdempsey on October 2nd, 2015, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

rsx11m

Post Posted October 2nd, 2015, 8:30 pm

Yes, to that extent, SeaMonkey is the continuation of the old Mozilla Suite, which in turn was spun off the Netscape project (where Netscape 6.0 was based on an early Mozilla Suite version). It's preserving that character, thus not following a lot of trends set by (or followed by) Firefox while still sharing a lot of backend code with it.

James

Post Posted October 2nd, 2015, 10:04 pm

Artemis Moongazer wrote:Hey, I read elsewhere on this forum that the Seamonkey project is kind of a carrying of the torch for the old Netscape browser.

Mozilla stopped supporting the old Mozilla suite as of Mozilla 1.7.13 back in April 2006 as far as Release goes. SeaMonkey is a continuation of it.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted October 3rd, 2015, 1:23 am

patrickjdempsey wrote:This problem does not appear to be restricted to Extensions, I'm also seeing it in Themes now. The global skin isn't being loaded.

Seeing this now on with a theme on a totally different computer.

Peter Creasey

Post Posted October 3rd, 2015, 8:33 am

rsx11m wrote:includes ... a rather out of date WYSIWYG HTML editor.

Perhaps out of date but still VERY handy!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

rsx11m

Post Posted October 3rd, 2015, 9:00 am

Peter Creasey wrote:
rsx11m wrote:includes ... a rather out of date WYSIWYG HTML editor.

Hey, I didn't write that? :D

Zerebralus

Post Posted October 3rd, 2015, 1:30 pm

are the devs already got there build server problems solved??? cause in the time before the change some older bug version came out soon.

Pim

Post Posted October 4th, 2015, 12:09 am

Artemis Moongazer wrote: Does Seamonkey also have the Australis UI from Firefox, or is it more like "old" or "classic" Firefox (which itself was more like Netscape)?

Classic. Heck, it even has the menu bar visible by default!
Groetjes, Pim

rsx11m

Post Posted October 4th, 2015, 7:21 am

Zerebralus wrote:are the devs already got there build server problems solved??? cause in the time before the change some older bug version came out soon.

Yes and no. The root cause depends on Mozilla Server Ops updating the Windows SeaMonkey builders to be in compliance with Mozilla's own platform requirements, which still hasn't happened yet. ](*,) All official Windows builds come from a "loaner" machine. Thus, it's an even more hands-on process than with the "normal" build infrastructure.

Zerebralus

Post Posted October 4th, 2015, 11:04 am

rsx11m wrote:
Zerebralus wrote:are the devs already got there build server problems solved??? cause in the time before the change some older bug version came out soon.

Yes and no. The root cause depends on Mozilla Server Ops updating the Windows SeaMonkey builders to be in compliance with Mozilla's own platform requirements, which still hasn't happened yet. ](*,) All official Windows builds come from a "loaner" machine. Thus, it's an even more hands-on process than with the "normal" build infrastructure.

thanx :-)

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted October 4th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Another new feature, well not new, just finally fixed... disable HTML5 autoplay:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2965877

Return to SeaMonkey General