SeaMonkey 2.39 has been released!

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Official announcement and release notes: Security fixes:
  • The list of known vulnerabilities hasn't been updated for SeaMonkey 2.39 yet. For reference, the Firefox 42 release lists 18 fixed security issues, 3 of which were critical.
Known issue:
  • If you use SeaMonkey 2.39 with Lightning, 4.4b2 (the most current for this version) is missing icons on the main toolbar. You can still "guess" them when hovering over their location and wait for the tooltip to show up.
rsx11m

Re: SeaMonkey 2.39 has been released!

Post by rsx11m »

ndebord wrote:
rsx11m wrote:
ndebord wrote:... Is it a matter of money to buy hardware for SeaMonkey?
therube is right, Windows builds are coming from the loaner machine, Linux and Mac OSX from the regular Mozilla builders. Mozilla is supposed to provide infrastructure support to SeaMonkey. ...
FWIW, I am a grant writer. Has anybody considered KickStarter, etc.?
I'm not sure what the legal situation is here. Mozilla still owns the name "SeaMonkey" afaik, thus continuing this as a crowd-funding project may not necessarily be easy. Also, given that the current Gecko code is used (which would still be possible as an entirely community-run project without any formal ties to Mozilla), much of the effort will still be to account for API changes on their end and to fix breakages which Firefox "likes" to introduce.
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

thx got it :-)

last but not least some words from ewong: https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/2015 ... 39-is-out/

:-)
James

Post by James »

The en-US 64-bit Linux contrib build of SeaMonkey 2.39 Release seems to work fine.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

rsx11m wrote:I'm not sure what the legal situation is here. Mozilla still owns the name "SeaMonkey" afaik, thus continuing this as a crowd-funding project may not necessarily be easy.
rsx11m,

I know you mean well, but I have to say that I grow weary with this constant stream of negativity from you. We know it wouldn't be easy, nothing in life worth doing ever is, but IceWeasel, WaterFox, etc managed it OK.

We can also see, or I can, that this project is going to fold if it follows Firefox down its intended path of removing XUL and XBL, and thus the end of every single extension and theme we use. Yet, still no statement from the Council on this on their intentions for SM. It is a pretty important thing for us to know, considering Firefox plan to do this within the next 12 months or so.

I appreciate and think it's a good thing that SM devs are far more accessible and interactive with the community than the Firefox devs ever were, but there has to be more point to that than telling us that anything ever suggested is not easy!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Frank, it's not my intention to be negative, just cautious. I'm not a member of the SeaMonkey Council, but from what I've gathered from the status meetings when the topic about Firefox pulling the plug on important core features came up, it's a "one headache at a time" philosophy to tackle things. I agree that the headaches are getting more and closer, and actions are more reactive than proactive. And yes, SM devs are definitely more accessible than Mozilla as such, even more a reason trying to bring more awareness of the urgency to get some kind of roadmap for SeaMonkey on the way.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

rsx11m wrote:Official announcement and release notes: Security fixes:
  • The list of known vulnerabilities hasn't been updated for SeaMonkey 2.39 yet. For reference, the Firefox 42 release lists 18 fixed security issues, 3 of which were critical.
  • Image Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

rsx11m wrote:Frank, it's not my intention to be negative, just cautious. I'm not a member of the SeaMonkey Council...
My apologies, somehow I got my wires crossed and was under the impression that you were a member of the Council.

I apologise too for the general tone of that last post. As you may tell, I really do want this project to succeed and sometimes get frustrated at the apparent lack of proactive direction and planning.

Incidentally, is it just me who thinks there should be a ChangeLog on those SM Release pages?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

No problem. I'm attending the status meetings and volunteered to set up the notes, but neither me nor tonymec are formal members of the council.

As for the changelog, Jens (InvisbleSmilie) used to prepare those pages for the individual milestones, but due to lack of time he is unfortunately no longer doing that.
therube

Post by therube »

:-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
sothron

Post by sothron »

I was ready to jump on this but then I saw that Firefox 3.0 theme will not work so until that changes I will stick with 2.38 with Flash being left to "ask to activate" toggled on.
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

Been using it all day. So far no probs.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Hurrah, Google Maps Street View works again without crashes. Been waiting a long time for that!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

rsx11m wrote: I'm not sure what the legal situation is here. Mozilla still owns the name "SeaMonkey" afaik, thus continuing this as a crowd-funding project may not necessarily be easy. Also, given that the current Gecko code is used (which would still be possible as an entirely community-run project without any formal ties to Mozilla), much of the effort will still be to account for API changes on their end and to fix breakages which Firefox "likes" to introduce.
rsx11m,

I did a little checking around... minimum would be one full-time developer, so we are talking about raising somewhere in the neighborhood of one million bucks as an endowment to avoid running through the capital and establishing a non-profit org (501(c)3). Kickstarter sounded good to me (which is the most popular form of crowd funding), but it would be hard to do this there, as they like new technology, not legacy. Another way to go would be partial for profit 501(c)4 and partner with other technology software, emphasizing the kitchen sink aspect of SeaMonkey, which would have to be renamed once again, unless the receivership entity which owns the "Netscape Communicator" name would be willing to support such a project.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

ndebord, thanks for looking up the details. Netscape was AOL, whoever owns that now... 8-)

The SeaMonkey community is actually registered already as a non-profit in Europe (either mnyromyr or mcsmurf set that up), which makes sense given that the key players are living there. Thus, using the European counterpart (if there is any) might be another option, given that it's established there already.