The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Back to the subject of this thread, "The future of Seamonkey?".

I sincerely hope that SeaMonkey maintains a bright future, but would like some thoughts on this question --> Given the increasing number of sites that won't work with SeaMonkey, is it likely that eventually very few, if any, sites will work with SeaMonkey?
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14904409
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14904434
Peter Creasey wrote:Any thoughts?
Sure, you don't get to decide how this thread is discussed.

Oh, and here's a site that works - https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/2017/12/v ... rs-how-to/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks for the replies. Absolutely no desire to "decide how this thread is discussed".

Hopefully, the feeling for SeaMonkey can stay positive just like has been expressed here.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Back to the subject of this thread, "The future of Seamonkey?".

I sincerely hope that SeaMonkey maintains a bright future, but ...
Peter Creasey wrote:Absolutely no desire to "decide how this thread is discussed"
I'm glad to hear it, because it looked like you were upset by the positive tone of how useful the SeaMonkey built-in Chatzilla feature is and then sought to needlessly interject a negative 'spoiler' for no good reason.

I pleased to see that I was mistaken.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank, thanks for your clarification and for the opportunity for me to offer my clarification. SeaMonkey and this board couldn't have a more "team-oriented" person than I work to be.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kjojo

Post by kjojo »

Sorry, if you considered my post to be a derailment, as it was intended to be demonstrative. In that, I predict that the Chrome of 2027/28 is going to look an awful lot like the SeaMonkey of today. And that the popular misconception that it's an old and outmoded piece of software that a few stubborn devs and a few more stubborn users keep on life support is exactly that--a misconception. The truth is, it's not being keep alive out of stubbornness, but out of patience that the world will eventually catch up with it.
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

kjojo wrote:The truth is, it's not being keep alive out of stubbornness, but out of patience that the world will eventually catch up with it.
Ha! Good way of looking at it! Just like my favorite book says, "There's nothing new under the sun." :wink:
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

This browser suite, under whichever name has always been number one in my book, all the way back to the beginning. Opera may have used the motto 'Simply the Best', but it fit this suite just fine.
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

From what I see, the future of SM looks bright. I'm testing the latest nightly builds and with more releases more webpages appear to be rendered correctly again. I'm happy with it so far and may switch back to SM from Vivaldi in near future. It has always been my favourite and I'm glad to see development hits the right direction.
What will happen next? You never know.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

mezziah wrote: I'm testing the latest nightly builds and with more releases more webpages appear to be rendered correctly again.
So great to hear. Keeping our fingers crossed.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

kjojo wrote:
drew77 wrote:Can Chatzilla still be installed in Seamonkey?

I could not find it.
It's pre-installed. Click the "cz" in the lower left corner of the browser window

You can also have it start at every Seamonkey start-up together with the browser and/or mail/news, by ticking the checkbox found at "Edit → Preferences → Appearance → When SeaMonkey starts up, open → [√] ChatZilla". It always runs in its own separate window, so it might be hidden by the browser window; but once it has started, Ctrl-6 (or Window → IRC Chat) goes to the ChatZilla window and Ctrl-1 (or Window → Browser) goes back to the browser window.
Best regards,
Tony
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

For the record, I have never found this board "slow to load".
. . . . . . . . . . Pete