The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LuvKomputrs

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by LuvKomputrs »

News about SeaMonkey 2.46 final release.
ewong on the ETA of release 2.46

In the meantime you can get the 2.46 tinderbox-build version to use in the meantime.
SeaMonkey 2.46

Have used a tinderbox-build version of 2.45 with no issues and am now going to get a copy of 2.46. :)
KUDOS to ewong and the rest of the SeaMonkey council for keeping us up to date on the status of our beloved SeaMonkey. =D>
Yes, we've waited a long time for a final release of SeaMonkey, but, good things come to those who wait! ;)
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on September 29th, 2016, 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Just downloaded 2.46 from:
SeaMonkey tinderbox-builds 2.46
Works beautifully for me and yes, you can definitely use this in the meantime before the next stable release of our beloved browser. :)
THANK YOU again to ewong and the SeaMonkey council! :D
therube

Post by therube »

(Can't hurt to backup your entire Profile prior ...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

therube wrote:(Can't hurt to backup your entire Profile prior ...)
Already got it backed up. :wink:
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

News about the current status of 2.46:
Update on 2.46

Am using 2.46 from this link at the moment and it's working very nicely for me.
2.46 candidates

KUDOS to ALL at the SeaMonkey council for keeping us up to date on the status of our beloved browser.
Even with the hurdles they have had to face I have faith that we'll be getting a final release soon. :wink:
frg

Post by frg »

>> Am using 2.46 from this link at the moment and it's working very nicely for me.

The en-US version should be more or less the final version. Has a bad lightning version number. The de version is only a test build. SeaMonkey itself works fine but the extensions in it have a broken localization and might crash the browser if you try to use them.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

frg wrote:>> Am using 2.46 from this link at the moment and it's working very nicely for me.

The en-US version should be more or less the final version. Has a bad lightning version number. The de version is only a test build. SeaMonkey itself works fine but the extensions in it have a broken localization and might crash the browser if you try to use them.
I use trunk nightles (as you can see from the bottom line of this post) and they work nicely for me. They come with the latest versions (the Mercurial "default" branch head) of cZ, DOMi and Lightning which is proper for SeaMonkey's bleeding-edge development builds. They may have a little more bugs than the release but AFAICT I'm not hit by them. :-)
Best regards,
Tony
Sancho

Post by Sancho »

0-day in Firefox >= 41:

https://heise.de/-3518557 (german)
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ ... 42639.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/ ... 42640.html

So it finally happened. What does the average SeaMonkey 2.40 user do now?
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

I use akalla's builds (either from comm-release or the trunk) - keep an eye out to look for anything posted today or later.
Surely there are many other security fixes that are not in 2.40 as well.
frg

Post by frg »

That's why I use Noscript and an Adblocker. Even with a current release you are vulnerable.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Sancho wrote:So it finally happened. What does the average SeaMonkey 2.40 user do now?
Chum, if you are that interested in security, then you should have updated to SeaMonkey 2.46 by now. By your UA string here I also note that you are still using Firefox 45, instead of the latest Firefox 50.

So, one thing at a time, first update your browser programs!

As for your links, unless you are a very specific type of user, in this case browsing certain dark websites with a Tor browser, the risk is negligible to zero and I'm reckoning that the average SeaMonkey user doesn't fall into that risk group.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Sancho

Post by Sancho »

I'm not talking about myself, I'm on 2.46 RC6 by now and been using NoScript for years. But in the past I used to install SeaMonkey on computers of friends and family. These people do not even know about release candidates, unofficial builds, this forum, whatever. And explaining to non-techies how and why to use NoScript is really not an option. (In fact, I tried it, but I gave up.)

The exploit may only be used against Tor users by now, but it is a Firefox exploit and it's public. So it's just a matter of time.

As for the user agent string I posted this with: it says 45 because it's an ESR version.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Sancho wrote: What does the average SeaMonkey 2.40 user do now?
Advise them to update to SM 2.46, just so everyone knows you weren't just saying that for rhetoric's sake.
Sancho wrote:But in the past I used to install SeaMonkey on computers of friends and family. These people do not even know about release candidates, unofficial builds, this forum, whatever.
...and those same non-tech people all go to sites like this, do they? -
Frank Lion wrote:As for your links, unless you are a very specific type of user, in this case browsing certain dark websites with a Tor browser
And explaining to non-techies how and why to use NoScript is really not an option. (In fact, I tried it, but I gave up.)
That's because NoScript has a steep learning curve.

So, instead explain things to non-tech users in a way they can understand -

Your German link makes clear that - 'The exploit requires JavaScript enabled in the web browser.' and therefore it's not a bad idea to install a simple Javascript toggle button and keep JavaScript turned off all the time, unless they know the website they are on really well and that site just will not work properly without JavaScript being used. In which case, they would toggle it on for that site.

...non-tech they may be, but they'll understand that. Geeks may think non-tech user = total moron, but in reality the fault lies in how things are explained to them. Plus, we are all non-tech users the moment we step out of our own particular field of expertise.

.....or, we could all rush around like headless chickens in a needless panic every time yet another theoretical security exploit is touted on the Net.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Sancho wrote:And explaining to non-techies how and why to use NoScript is really not an option. (In fact, I tried it, but I gave up.)
Did you try explaining cascading permissions mode to them? Even I have been able to get 'You can choose whether to enable scripts or not, here's how and why....' across to non-techies.

NoScript Options > Advanced > Trusted, check "Cascade top document's permissions to 3rd party scripts"
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote:Did you try explaining cascading permissions mode to them? Even I have been able to get 'You can choose whether to enable scripts or not, here's how and why....' across to non-techies.
Fair point, whatever works for you. I like to get people used to the general concept of not having JS on all the time first and then if they later ask how to fine tune things on a site to site basis, then I'd point them in the right direction for that.

Oddly, because it's them who have asked and them who see the need, then they seem to manage pretty well on their own after that. :)