The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LuvKomputrs

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by LuvKomputrs »

tonymec wrote:
LuvKomputrs wrote:Know I've asked this question before....any ETA on the stable release for SeaMonkey 2.45?
Still have 2.40 stable release on my computer which has Windows 7.
Got SeaMonkey 2.45 on a USB stick to try it out until the stable release is released.
Other than the search engine bug...SeaMonkey 2.45 is working very nicely for me. :)
AFAIK, the 2.45 release will happen as soon as the developers, who are few in number, and none of which is paid for working on SeaMonkey, are able to build for all four platfoms (W32, L32, L64 and Mac) from a single source and free of any serious known bugs. Peferably in more languages than just en-US.

You may want to read the minutes of the fortnightly SeaMonkey Status Meetings.

In the meantime, 2.45 en-US pre-releases are available at: In each case, select the numbered subdirectory with the highest number, after scrolling to the bottom of the page if necessary.

Notes:
  • The W32 builds will also run on W64 OSes, with the help of the WOW64 subsystem which is part of the OS.
  • The Mac builds are "universal binaries" containing both a 32-bit executable and a 64-bit one.
Good to know and Thanks for the links. :)
No issues at all for me whilst using SeaMonkey 2.45. :D
Me thinks it's going to be very soon when we'll see a final release of SeaMonkey 2.45. :wink:
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

LuvKomputrs wrote:
tonymec wrote:
LuvKomputrs wrote:Know I've asked this question before....any ETA on the stable release for SeaMonkey 2.45?
Still have 2.40 stable release on my computer which has Windows 7.
Got SeaMonkey 2.45 on a USB stick to try it out until the stable release is released.
Other than the search engine bug...SeaMonkey 2.45 is working very nicely for me. :)
AFAIK, the 2.45 release will happen as soon as the developers, who are few in number, and none of which is paid for working on SeaMonkey, are able to build for all four platfoms (W32, L32, L64 and Mac) from a single source and free of any serious known bugs. Peferably in more languages than just en-US.

You may want to read the minutes of the fortnightly SeaMonkey Status Meetings.

In the meantime, 2.45 en-US pre-releases are available at: In each case, select the numbered subdirectory with the highest number, after scrolling to the bottom of the page if necessary.

Notes:
  • The W32 builds will also run on W64 OSes, with the help of the WOW64 subsystem which is part of the OS.
  • The Mac builds are "universal binaries" containing both a 32-bit executable and a 64-bit one.
Good to know and Thanks for the links. :)
No issues at all for me whilst using SeaMonkey 2.45. :D
Me thinks it's going to be very soon when we'll see a final release of SeaMonkey 2.45. :wink:
P.S. These pre-releases have symbols, but not at the usual place, so that if you crash, the Crash Reporter won't find them. They are in a file whose name ends in .crashreporter-symbols.zip in the same subfolder as the other prerelease files. I recommend to download it together with (depending on platform) the .tar.bz2, .dmg, .zip or .installer.exe containing SeaMonkey itself. That symbols file is much too big to be attached to a crash bug, but its contents can be interpreted by trained (even self-trained) humans. I recommend the Vim editor, available on all Mozilla-supported platforms, to look at its contents without leaving unzipped files all over your disk (that editor can unpack zipfiles one subfile at a time into its own memory; beware: it can also repack edited contents, which in this case you probably don't want, so don't make any changes-in-place). That editor takes a little getting used to, but IMHO it's worth the trouble.

OTOH, the .txt (but not _info.txt) also in the same subfolder, tells from which source the build was compiled: this is useful if you have to report a bug. These are of course plain text files and any utility which can read plain text can read that.
Best regards,
Tony
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

No need for crash reporter, no crash to report...
therube

Post by therube »

Vim editor, ... can unpack zipfiles one subfile at a time
How (very briefly)?
zip.vim, it looks like. Can't say I've ever messed with "/autoload/".
(Wonders what's in the rest of those directories? Maybe one day I'll read some doc's?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

therube wrote:
Vim editor, ... can unpack zipfiles one subfile at a time
How (very briefly)?
zip.vim, it looks like. Can't say I've ever messed with "/autoload/".
(Wonders what's in the rest of those directories? Maybe one day I'll read some doc's?)
Sorry if the following is longer than you wanted. Maybe the fact that I'm a retired teacher makes me want to explain in detail rather than give a superficial single sentence which won't explain anything.

Yes, it is the collection of *.vim files that come with Vim. Mainly those whose names begin with zip, but I won't guarantee that "more general" scripts don't come into play too.

The docs are accessed by the :help command while running Vim. See
  • :help
  • :help help
  • :help helphelp
for (more and more detailed -and verbose- ) help about how to use the help. (Vim is the only program in use today that I know, where everything is documented in the online help.)

When you start up Vim, it loads at the end of startup a number of "plugin" scripts. One of these, $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/zipPlugin.vim, defines a number of autocommands to be used instead of the normal "file read" C code in order to read a zipfile. Those autocommands call functions whose names begin with zip# which means that, if they aren't yet defined, the script $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/zip.vim must be sourced to define them.

When you edit a zipfile with Vim, the FileReadCmd or BufReadCmd autocommand invokes the zip#Browse() function which opens the "table of contents" (one entry per line) of the zipfile in your current window (or in a new one if you used :split or :new to open the file). Click one line of this table of contents and the corresponding file will be opened in a new window.

Vim is extremely configurable, thanks to all its *.vim "scripts", written in the same language as its "ex-commands" (the commands starting with : which can be typed when running it to make it do something). Don't edit them in place because any upgrade may replace the files distributed with Vim. See :help 'runtimepath' for details.
Best regards,
Tony
casper1975

Post by casper1975 »

For those looking for SeaMonkey 64bit you can find It here:

http://www. m64.info /index.php/seamonkey-64-bit-download
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

casper1975 wrote:For those looking for SeaMonkey 64bit you can find It here:

And why it's better than Adrian's (unofficial) builds?
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... windows64/

Oh, wait! Actually it IS Adrian's build:
MD5: e2db318da241fd64b7bdbd08820c935f
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... taller.exe

Not nice...! :shock:
--
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Do know that I've asked this question before... :wink:
Any ETA on the next stable release for SeaMonkey?
It's getting close to the end of August now. Last stable release was in March for version 2.40.
Been testing SeaMonkey 2.45 for a few days now and it's working rather nicely for me.
Nice to see that the nightlies for SeaMonkey are being kept up to date. :)
KUDOS to the SeaMonkey council for this WUNDERBAR browser! =D>
James

Post by James »

TPR75 wrote:
casper1975 wrote:For those looking for SeaMonkey 64bit you can find It here:

And why it's better than Adrian's (unofficial) builds?
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... windows64/

Oh, wait! Actually it IS Adrian's build:
MD5: e2db318da241fd64b7bdbd08820c935f
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... taller.exe

Not nice...! :shock:
The m64 site never say the source of the Win64 builds of each Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey on site. With Firefox they were posting random builds from Nightly, Aurora and Beta channels until Fx 42.0 release when there were official Win64 builds from Mozilla. Not sure why they do not link to Mozilla on ex archive.mozilla.org or such for the Win64 Firefox instead of hosting it themselves. The Win64 builds they post for Thunderbird are random Nightly channel builds as the a1 shows.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Been wondering if 2.45 might be bypassed and we'll be seeing version 2.46 of SeaMonkey released for the next final release. :-k
There were some bugs/issues reported by users for the 2.45 that needed to be addressed.
So would the UA string be something like Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey 2.46?
Sorry for keeping on asking these questions, but, I'm rather curious as to why we haven't seen a final release yet.
Also my sincere KUDOS and THANK YOU to the SeaMonkey council for keeping a much beloved browser of mine still active. :)
When the final release is actually available it'll be well worth the wait. :D
And good things come to those who wait! Promise to patient until the final release! ;)
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

LuvKomputrs wrote:Been wondering if 2.45 might be bypassed and we'll be seeing version 2.46 of SeaMonkey released for the next final release. :-k
There were some bugs/issues reported by users for the 2.45 that needed to be addressed.
Many of those should have been taken care of for 2.45 and equally affected 2.46, thus it's up to ewong and Callek mostly which version they target next (the upcoming merge day is September 12th).
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Was wondering when the ETA will be for the next version of SeaMonkey.
It's been quite some time since the last stable release.
Am thinking it'll probably be 2.46 that will be released. :-k
Am also looking forward to the next stable release. :)
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Close, close, very close... [-o<
And yes, 2.46 it should be.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

rsx11m wrote:Close, close, very close... [-o<
So say we all...!

:wink:
--
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

rsx11m wrote:Close, close, very close... [-o<
I have faith that yes, we will be seeing a final release of our beloved SeaMonkey soon. :wink: