The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LuvKomputrs

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by LuvKomputrs »

streaming5 wrote:
LuvKomputrs wrote:....
If it were forked it would have a different name i.e SeaHorse and different coding, UA string, UI, perhaps a different/same rendering engine, etc.
SeaMonkey is my favourite browser. :D
I ♥ SeaMonkey
Hum... I am a bit confused. The "official" seamonkey seem to be at version 2.49.5 (now or within the next few days) and there is imho a fork with seamonkey 2.57, right? Wonder, what to do next :-k . I used it for a very long time now (from 1.0x) and NescapeNavigator before [horrible time between 8-[ [-( ].

So...... changing something [-( [-X

What is the "fork" and from which point I can possibly go in which direction?

thx for informations :-)
HI Sorry about the confusion.
It was just speculation on my part if and I mean if SeaMonkey were forked by another party who chose to make a fork of SeaMonkey.
I should have made that clearer in my post.
Hope this clears things up for you. :)
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on August 12th, 2019, 7:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Frank Lion wrote:
streaming5 wrote:The "official" seamonkey seem to be at version 2.49.5 (now or within the next few days) and there is imho a fork with seamonkey 2.57, right?
Nope, there is no fork.

I do have to wonder what good all this speculation here does. I mean, a year after 2.49.4, 2.49.5 will soon be out. Back up your profile then look at it, decide if you like it, use it/don't use it. Same for 2.53 and 2.57. It really is that simple and that blunt.

Not like you're getting married to this stuff, there is no long-term commitment element here. You simply accept what update comes out..or..you don't. Even if you don't, it'll take 30 minutes to re-install and use again.
Good points Frank. :)
Where the speculation is coming from is that quite a few users of SeaMonkey would like to see it continue on after 2.57.
And I'm not speaking for everyone who uses SeaMonkey.
It's an excellent browser and should continue on IMHO and professional opinion.
I'd like to see it continue on, but, I'm not going to be naive or overly upset about it if it doesn't.
And yes, there is no long-term commitment here for using SeaMonkey as you pointed out.
Who knows how long SeaMonkey will continue on? :-k
KUDOS to the SeaMonkey Council and the extension/theme developers for all their hard work on the SeaMonkey browser. =D>
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The UA string at the bottom of this post is not faked. 2004 0.8 Firefox.

Hopefully that shows just how long you can use a browser if you wanted to, or needed to.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Frank Lion wrote:The UA string at the bottom of this post is not faked. 2004 0.8 Firefox.

Hopefully that shows just how long you can use a browser if you wanted to, or needed to.
Ah, I see! I see! And a very good point! :wink:
Have got a client who still uses Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.6 and another who uses SeaMonkey 1.1 :shock:
As long as you're careful whilst browsing, have a strong firewall, you should be just fine. :)
I've got an older computer that has Windows XP on it, a strong firewall, and with SeaMonkey 1.1.18
And I was happily surfin' the net. :mrgreen:
JohnB_XP

Post by JohnB_XP »

I've had to go to Pale Moon for browsing and SM for Composer and mail... is 2.49.5 going to bring the browser compatibility up to the latest FF ESR?
Proud BlackBerry and SeaMonkey user!
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 28th, 2021, 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

JohnB_XP wrote:is 2.49.5 going to bring the browser compatibility up to the latest FF ESR?
Unless you specify which, if any, Firefox 60ESR features you are looking for then the answer is -

Is SeaMonkey still going to be called SeaMonkey? Yes, and that is also where most, apart from DRM, 'browser compatibility' problems lie -

https://www.omniconvert.com/what-is/bro ... atibility/

I say 'problems', but there are 1 billion websites on the Internet and I have had to set site specific overrides for, err, 3 websites. So, not a big problem pour moi.

That aside, if you are already using SM's Email and Composer side, it'll take you, what? 30 seconds? to see if the browser side suits you when you update to 2.49.5. So, spend 30 seconds and let us know how it went for you?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

Mouse4 wrote:
JohnB_XP wrote:I've had to go to Pale Moon for browsing and SM for Composer and mail... is 2.49.5 going to bring the browser compatibility up to the latest FF ESR?
no idea, read the release notes
no official release notes for SM 2.49.5 yet until that one goes final
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on August 25th, 2021, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
frg

Post by frg »

It is the final. ewong will just need to move it to release. He is a bit sidetracked now but I hope he manages soon. Getting a bit long in the tooth.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:...but I hope he manages soon. Getting a bit long in the tooth.
Yep, there are only so many amusing mea culpa blog posts that can be written before the goods really do have to be delivered.
frg

Post by frg »

> Yep, there are only so many amusing mea culpa blog posts that can be written before the goods really do have to be delivered.

We are shooting at a simultaneous release date with Star Citizen GA. :)

In any case RC3 is the final and can be installed now.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:In any case RC3 is the final and can be installed now.
Which is great news if every SM user out there visits these forums, but I'm reckoning that a good few don't.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on August 25th, 2021, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

frg wrote: We are shooting at a simultaneous release date with Star Citizen GA. :)
See if you can't get that money train to start rollin' this way too.

(Star Citizen is the new Duke Nukem Forever. )