Post by LuvKomputrs »

And now... SeaMonkey Project News :D
SeaMonkey 2.48 Release Notes :wink:
*This is for the beta release version*
KUDOS to ALL who are keeping our beloved SeaMonkey browser ongoing! =D>
rsx11m

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by rsx11m »

Some stuff needs to be "transplanted" from the beta to the release channel to get 2.48 final out, see bug 1351984. In parallel, work is moving forward to release 2.49.1 from the ESR channel, that's bug 1346939.
JakeMS

Post by JakeMS »

Running 4.84b1 now :-).

Just switched back to SeaMonkey after leaving it (Sorry guys) for a while for TB+FF, but I can't seem to stay away from Mozilla suite (aka SeaMonkey).

Really glad to see progress being made and I think it's a great idea for SM to switch to ESR, it'll make applying security updates much easier!

SeaMonkey is so close to being perfect but:
- Enigmail, please stop crashing my SeaMonkey when I re-open mail window (aka, close it, open it and SM hangs!) - Addon bug (only happens when Enigmail is enabled), not SM bug, but still a pain in the butt xD.
- CardDAV, TB has addons for it, but SM doesn't really have any working alternatives.. would love to see a built-in CardDAV Sync one day! For now I manually export / import my contact lists from my email servers to SM.
- Sync, can we get sync working again? Even if it's just bookmarks only for Firefox Mobile?
- Timely security updates, ESR should help with this a lot.
- Official Linux x86_64 builds, while there is an unofficial version, it'd be great to have official versions!

If all that was done, SM would simply be perfect!
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

All here, please have a look at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3029957
Update to 2.48 release, it's still waiting for l10n signoffs I think.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Am using 2.48b1 with no issues at all. :D
Was wondering if perhaps 2.49 will be released instead of 2.48 at this point in time. :-k
Am eagerly awaiting the next stable release! :wink:
KUDOS to ALL that have kept our beloved browser ongoing! :D
frg

Post by frg »

>> Am using 2.48b1 with no issues at all.

Don't worry. There are a few including a very bad crasher when composing email. But if you have not run into this one yet you won't :)

>> Was wondering if perhaps 2.49 will be released instead of 2.48 at this point in time.

Was discussed but we want to do a final gtk2 release. And there is now everything in the tree but:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1368277

which needs an UX review. Without it geolocation prompting is broken. As usual real life interferes with SeaMonkey so the release has not been built yet. In the mean time use Adrians unofficial 2.49.1 if you run into problems. The final 2.49.1 whenever it comes will manually install over it with (usually) no problems.

FRG
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

frg wrote:Don't worry. There are a few including a very bad crasher when composing email.
I have run several times into a crash when moving mail to archive (Shift+A), it never happened in 2.46, is this a known bug? I have submitted the report through the crash reporter.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
frg

Post by frg »

> I have run several times into a crash when moving mail to archive (Shift+A), it never happened in 2.46,

I didn't find a specific bug or crash report. Could you post a link to a crash or a crash id.

A lot of checks were added to Gecko in the last versions. As a result a lot needed to change in the SeaMonkey and Thunderbird mailnews component. I think its overall more stable now but 2.48 might still have a few rough edges. 2.49.1 seems to be much better here.

FRG
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

frg wrote:> I have run several times into a crash when moving mail to archive (Shift+A), it never happened in 2.46,

I didn't find a specific bug or crash report. Could you post a link to a crash or a crash id.
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... fd80170612 and https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... e2c0170618
frg

Post by frg »

Hmm probably:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1314347

Fixed in 2.49. Need to check if we can uplift this for 2.48.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Any changes for the GUI for future releases of SeaMonkey? :-k
Not a major overhaul so-to speak. But, something a little new and fresh of years of having the same look for the browser.
This wouldn't require a lot of work. IMHO it will also draw more users to SeaMonkey as well. Seen many a browser change their look over the years.
Right now I am also using the Sea Fox add-on and also the Classic Toolbar Buttons add-on. And am using a Persona as well whilst using my browser.
Was wondering if those add-ons and themes will be still be maintained for users who would like to use them for the next stable release of SeaMonkey and future releases.
Or will SeaMonkey have their own specific add-ons, themes and Personas/skins specifically geared to the SeaMonkey browser? :-k
From the SeaMonkey council Our concensus is that we will release 2.49.x off 52 ESR.
And will at some point SeaMonkey developers fork the browser itself without having to rely specifically on Firefox code and browser engine? :-k
Am thinking that perhaps that can be done. We also have a lot of members here including those who do the third party builds who might be willing to join the SeaMonkey council.
In conclusion I do foresee a bright future for SeaMonkey and it's my favorite browser of all of the ones I have tried over the years. :D
LONG LIVE SEAMONKEY! :mrgreen:

edit: meant to say GUI not GUID
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on June 21st, 2017, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

LuvKomputrs wrote:Any changes for the GUID for future releases of SeaMonkey?
You mean, intentionally break all existing SeaMonkey add-ons by invalidating the <em:id> inside the SeaMonkey <em:targetApplication> in their install.rdf? I must have misunderstood.
Best regards,
Tony
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

tonymec wrote:I must have misunderstood.
I think he meant GUI, not GUID!
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

frg wrote:Hmm probably:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1314347

Fixed in 2.49. Need to check if we can uplift this for 2.48.
Probably. This crash also happened after repairing a folder.

2.48 beta also has a bug with saving attachments - when I tried opening a zip attachment it opened as text in a browser window and when saving to disk the whole message source was saved instead of the attachment content. I installed 2.49.1 and the problem appears to be fixed there.