The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LuvKomputrs

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by LuvKomputrs »

tonymec wrote:
LuvKomputrs wrote:Checking out some of the SeaMonkey unofficial builds from here.
http://www.wg9s.com/
Trying to decide about using 2.53 until the next official release of SeaMonkey roles out. :-k
Anyone have any suggestions on one that they particularly like or recommend?
Am also making sure to back up my profile for 2.49.4 and then use another profile setting for 2.53.
Me too I use WG9S's 2.53. The first time I did, I backed out my profile, but I've had no problems with it, it works beautifully AFAICT: I never had to roll back that backup.
Thanks very much for the suggestion. :)
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on January 26th, 2019, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Just got a copy of SeaMonkey 2.53 and extracted the files from the zip folder.
Got it on my d: drive.
Using a separate profile from my SeaMonkey 2.49.4.
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on January 26th, 2019, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
frg

Post by frg »

> Trying to decide about using 2.53 until the next official release of SeaMonkey roles out. :-k
> Anyone have any suggestions on one that they particularly like or recommend?
> Am also making sure to back up my profile for 2.49.4 and then use another profile setting for 2.53.

Any non security/crash fixes will probably land only in 2.53 unless they are really easy to backport. Anything with l10n changes will not land in 2.49.x at all. For stability 2.49.x. If you want to test things 2.53 because most of the stuff will end up in 2.57 too. But always keep a known working 2.53 installer around. I already broke things a few times and even while I am using this daily now I didn't notice in time.

FRG
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

frg wrote: Any non security/crash fixes will probably land only in 2.53 unless they are really easy to backport. Anything with l10n changes will not land in 2.49.x at all. For stability 2.49.x. If you want to test things 2.53 because most of the stuff will end up in 2.57 too. But always keep a known working 2.53 installer around. I already broke things a few times and even while I am using this daily now I didn't notice in time.

FRG
Thanks very much for the helpful information.
Have got also a backup of the known working installer for 2.53 and the zip file.
Am also very interested in the time frame for the release of 2.57.

Anne aka LuvKomputrs :)
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 28th, 2021, 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

https://blog.seamonkey-project.org/2019 ... ors-aside/ by the sounds of it, ewong pretrty much says it all, but is Seamonkey finally Dead? IMO i think it is
Last edited by Snake4 on August 25th, 2021, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Mouse4 wrote:.... but is Seamonkey finally Dead? IMO i think it is
  • Stop talking nonsense, kid. Image

Go to the 'Outback' to count grains of sand. And don't waste our time, adding your stupid crap to this thread!!! :evil:
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
frg

Post by frg »

> IMO i think it is

You are entitled to think what you want but unless you see an official announcement it isn't. For some, including me, there is unfortunately no user friedly replacement product available so you won't see this announcement in the near future. We are still commited to get new releases out.

Unofficial 2.49.5 and 2.53 releases can be found here: http://www.wg9s.com/
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Alright folks, keep things civil here or this topic will be locked.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 28th, 2021, 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Mouse4 wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Alright folks, keep things civil here or this topic will be locked.
might be a wise idea to lock it now. only if FRG is OK to that since he made the thread. sorry my bad, this guy did stevensegalfan4000
frg is one of the few SeaMonkey developers left: if he says SeaMonkey isn't yet dead then it isn't.

Rather than have this topic locked, I'd rather see repeat offenders banned, but I don't know if it is possible. I know that moderators can move off-topic posts out of the thread but of course it is more work for them and above a certain frequency of off-topic and/or bad-language posts it might not be desirable.
Best regards,
Tony
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 28th, 2021, 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
frg

Post by frg »

Personally I am unhappy with the whole situation but can't do much about it other than trying to continue fixing up the source. As stated before I don't know what willl happen after 2.57 or when 2.57 is ready.

Closing this thread. Not sure. Always happy to read about new ideas or opinions. I am an admin on another non software related forum and usually just let discussions run unless it really gets out of hand and end in name calling or profanity without any arguments. I usually start stripping posts then. Fortunately very seldom needed.

FRG
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

My wish is for SM to continue and regain prominence. I really don't understand what's happening or why. I don't understand letting whoever dictate what can or can't be. I'm pretty irritated. I've used this since the early days of Netscape and it's really the only one I'm comfortable with.

I won't use Chrome or FF. Never have, never will.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 28th, 2021, 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar