The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
ElTxolo

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by ElTxolo »

frg wrote: The unofficial 2.49.5 should be ok.
http://www.wg9s.com/comm-esr/
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ElTxolo wrote::-" The latest version available (SeaMonkey 2.49.5) is completely out of date.
And it has NOT been updated, for more than two months (Feb.02th.2019). #-o
I can't see this matters much. The day is fast approaching when SeaMonkey will not be updated security-wise at all. People already know that not much is planned after 2.57, where did they think security fixes would come from after that?

It's not like no one knows that day isn't coming, but that they have decided to ignore it and hope it won't happen. It will.

Plus, we've all seen Firefox users being constantly duped into updating by Mozilla regarding these theoretical, not out-in-the wild, security fixes. Where are the people who have ever been whacked by them, considering that I know there are people using browsers that are years and years out of date? I don't see them and I reckon this fear mongering that makes people obediently jump when told, should stop.

As I mentioned before, if people are planning to continue to use SM over the long term then they should be planning their own security measures themselves. I know I have.

Finally, how about cutting the SM devs some slack here, not like they get paid for doing that thankless task.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Is the future any brighter for Thunderbird?
kerft

Post by kerft »

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ode_online Mozilla-central, the new code for Gecko, no longer is the basis for Thunderbird. XUL and Mail code are being stripped out from there, and the Mozilla developers will not be securing those parts of the code. Thunderbird faces similar problems as Seamonkey. The bright spots for Thunderbird are that there are far fewer extensions, and the extensions are not used by most Thunderbird users. Because of this, Thunderbird expects to be able to use the (Firefox) ESR68 code unlike Seamonkey. Extension loss in Thunderbird would be acceptable where it would not in Seamonkey. They still have a huge job, using about half of Firefox's 20 million lines of code, and with more and more of the code (the mail and XUL) being abandoned. Give them some praise. They also have to migrate to their own servers, Mozilla IRC is going away, etc.
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Sorry to hear it - sounds like Thunderbird is the best of what's left for desktop Email clients....

https://zapier.com/blog/best-email-clients-windows/
James

Post by James »

Discussion about the future of Thunderbird will be getting thread off topic.
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

that's fair
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Frank Lion wrote: I can't see this matters much. The day is fast approaching when SeaMonkey will not be updated security-wise at all. People already know that not much is planned after 2.57, where did they think security fixes would come from after that?

It's not like no one knows that day isn't coming, but that they have decided to ignore it and hope it won't happen. It will.

Plus, we've all seen Firefox users being constantly duped into updating by Mozilla regarding these theoretical, not out-in-the wild, security fixes. Where are the people who have ever been whacked by them, considering that I know there are people using browsers that are years and years out of date? I don't see them and I reckon this fear mongering that makes people obediently jump when told, should stop.

As I mentioned before, if people are planning to continue to use SM over the long term then they should be planning their own security measures themselves. I know I have.

Finally, how about cutting the SM devs some slack here, not like they get paid for doing that thankless task.
Very good points Frank. :)
Am hoping to see SeaMonkey continuing on after version 2.57. [-o<
I'm not ignoring the fact in may not and not going to be naive about it either. :-k
And KUDOS to ALL the SeaMonkey developers! =D>
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on May 7th, 2019, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

frg wrote:Yes there will be new releases. Unfortunately I/we can't commit to a date even if this statement wears thin now.

The unofficial 2.49.5 should be ok.

Same for the 2.53 but because this is still undergoing changes always save the last working version in case something breaks.
http://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
Thanks very much for the information. :)
Those versions of SeaMonkey from wg9s.com site are pretty stable. :)
Am also patient with regards to the new release date for official release of SeaMonkey.
Good things come to those who wait! :wink:
And KUDOS to you and all the SeaMonkey developers and extension and theme creators! =D>
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

ElTxolo wrote:
frg wrote: The unofficial 2.49.5 should be ok.
  • :-" The latest version available (SeaMonkey 2.49.5) is completely out of date.
    And it has NOT been updated, for more than two months (Feb.02th.2019). #-o
  • The latest version (~ WG9's | May.07th.2019' unofficial) of SeaMonkey 2.49.5 seems to be fully updated ... Image

Cheers!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I'm a very longtime VERY basic SM user. And I would not be good at ever trying to revert back to a prior version.

Should I just continue to stick with the released version(s) as time goes on?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kerft

Post by kerft »

2.49.5 would have more security patches. 2.53 would show a user agent that more websites would not complain about, and performance might be better. However, your post history looks like you use Seamonkey as an email client. In that case, stability may be worth risking the security issues. I don't know if it is true, but some people believe that using an extension like Noscript can block many of the viruses / exploits that are out there.
Learning how to make backups, which would let you recover from many kinds of problems, or which would make it easy to switch among various versions, should be a priority. See here, but it may not be fully up to date so you may want to make a post in not this thread about backup methods. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

kerft wrote: looks like you use Seamonkey as an email client. In that case, stability may be worth risking the security issues.
k, thanks for responding. Yes, I use all three SM components -- browser, composer, and email.

What is the problem with using SM as an email client with future SM versions?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:What is the problem with using SM as an email client with future SM versions?
Only the problem of if 'it isn't broken, then don't fix it' problem. 'The Email side is fine, so there's no point updating just for that'...problem.

You sure you're not looking for problems here that don't exist?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
kerft

Post by kerft »

Email is a tier one (essential) part of SeaMonkey. In future versions it does and should work fine.

The problem is that if a browser corrupts its profile, you might lose bookmarks and passwords. Bad, but you should have written your passwords on paper, often not a disaster. If an email client corrupts its profile, you could lose tens of thousands of emails. For some people this could cause job loss, loss of business contacts/leads. Also, many users keep all of their emails in the primary inbox, sometimes several gigabytes of data, which is stretching the limits of what any version of an email client can do. And they disable vacuuming because they notice vacuuming seems a bit slow.
In the end, backup is the key, and learning to store emails not in the inbox, but ideally many of them in an offline archive. If you have good backups, you can run whatever browser you like and you have very little to worry about.
Until lots of users use 2.53, you don't know if it might have a bug. But 2.49 might have a bug also. So far, 2.49.4 hasn't wiped out your data. Maybe it will tomorrow. Testing is good, but new versions with bug fixes are also good.