The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Snake4

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 30th, 2023, 7:40 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Mouse4 wrote:im with ya there, im no fan of that Proboards crap, best to stick to phpbb
Thanks for volunteering, I look forward to seeing your phpbb forum in the near future.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

> Thanks for volunteering, I look forward to seeing your phpbb forum in the near future.

Yes someone needs to do it. Setting a forum up takes some time. Running it not so much.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:Setting a forum up takes some time.
Yep, meanwhile we face the prospect of this forum being closed down at any moment, without warning. So, I figured that discussion of discussions might not fit the bill this time.

For example, the mozillaZine Knowledge Base has already been archived/shut down and left KB editors unable to edit any articles.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 28th, 2021, 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Mouse4 wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:
Mouse4 wrote:im with ya there, im no fan of that Proboards crap, best to stick to phpbb
Thanks for volunteering, I look forward to seeing your phpbb forum in the near future.
if i had the Money to do it, i would help out
Luckily for you no money is required. All you have to do is to set up the phpbb forum and run it, the SM Council will take care of any minor $$ details.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:> Well, it's up and running now and ready for everyone's registering delight, i.e. it is a real forum, but membership is a bit low atm (possibly because I only created 2 hours ago).

Thanks Frank. I still hope mozillazine will continue to exist. Will book the url and see how it pans out here. Personally I wouldn't want to be an admin on another forum. Stretched thin already and I am also an admin on a non browser related forum which soon needs a version updated (not looking forward to it).

If this on here eats the dust consider to do a "proper" forum using phpBB or another software. proboards.com might have some privacy issues reading the terms. If a few others help out I think funding can be made available.

FRG
Well, I joined the new forum, but would really like to see MozillaZine continue, albeit under new ownership. MozillaZine has history and wide acceptance. Just my 2 cents worth.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ndebord wrote:Well, I joined the new forum, but would really like to see MozillaZine continue...
I don't think anyone has ever said differently, except maybe Kerz.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
ndebord wrote:Well, I joined the new forum, but would really like to see MozillaZine continue...
I don't think anyone has ever said differently, except maybe Kerz.
Frank,

All too true.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:If this on here eats the dust consider to do a "proper" forum using phpBB or another software. proboards.com might have some privacy issues reading the terms. If a few others help out I think funding can be made available.
Reckon so. That forum can be as temporary or as permanent as we need it to be, plus it might no even be needed at all.

The learning curve with phpbb is far steeper and although I already have my own domain name for my site and indeed also have free hosting there, I would prefer not to use them for this 'project'.

However, long-term, phpbb and proper OS hosting and donations paying for the domain name is the way to go........then again, we might be carrying on here anyway, who knows?

Meantime, I'm pleased to report that 2.49.5 is a total non-event (I know background stuff gets fixed, but I don't want to be tormented with other stuff breaking) which should be the goal of every good update. :)
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on September 28th, 2021, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
LIMPET235

About SeaMonkey

Post by LIMPET235 »

@ Wish You Were Here...
Your post now resides in SeaMonkey > General forum > "The Future of Seamonkey."
ref; > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14848826

Please do not post in "The End" topic.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Actually, that post and replies to it were split off to Locked as things became argumentative.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:If this on here eats the dust consider to do a "proper" forum ...
... If a few others help out I think funding can be made available.
Has the SM council done anything about this yet?

As I wrote here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14847384
Frank Lion wrote:However, long-term, phpbb and proper OS hosting and donations paying for the domain name is the way to go
Point is, phpbb or not is pretty minor, compared with having OS hosting, multiple OS admins and a SM only domain name, unless you want to land in exactly the same position down the line as with mozillaZine. i.e. a sole admin can close it at will and the same for non-OS hosting, if donations dried up.

So, let me spell it out - the SM Council needs to set up their hosting and domain name side before I, or anyone else, sets up the phpbb software.

Prefer to 'wait and see what happens to mozillaZine first'? Fine, that's what 'my' forum was set up for, hours after the mozillaZine Knowledge Base went to read only. But I can't close it until 'you' have set up an alternative.

Again, don't bother linking to it, as it was set up to give Kerz something to link to if he closed this forum.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on August 25th, 2021, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar