The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
ElTxolo

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by ElTxolo »

Hrgg3 wrote: [....] I tried to search the forum for a roadmap for SeaMonkey development, but wasn't able to find one. Is there a roadmap existing somewhere, e.g. for 2022, 2023, 2024 or feature based?
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
captain bligh

Post by captain bligh »

I for one certainly hope development continues.Updates for seamonkey come at a sensible rate rather than the insane 4-6 week cycle of the so called major browsers.
User of multiple puppy linuxes.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

captain bligh wrote:I for one certainly hope development continues.Updates for seamonkey come at a sensible rate rather than the insane 4-6 week cycle of the so called major browsers.
though at least Firefox does have ESR releases which I use on most of my PCs and only get one major version update a year

but as for Seamonkey, that one will be updated at its own pace
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

captain bligh wrote:I for one certainly hope development continues.Updates for seamonkey come at a sensible rate rather than the insane 4-6 week cycle of the so called major browsers.
Development continues indeed, albeit no faster than the few developers can make it. There is a developers meeting on alternate Sundays on IRC, currently on libera channel #seamonkey ; their minutes are archived as subpages of https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings

To download the executables, you have a choice between:
  • "Official" releases (currently 2.53.12): https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
  • "Unofficial" 2.53 nightlies by Bill Gianopoulos (currently 2.53.14b1pre), published only when there has been a change in the source (compare the file date with the "Build Identifier" at the bottom of your about: page, which is 14 decimal digits in the format yyyyMMddhhmmss): http://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
Some 2.57 builds are being built but I don't recommend their use (they have multiple problems, including unpredictable crashes).
Best regards,
Tony
frg

Post by frg »

Lets sum it up:

November 15th, 2015
But I just had a conversation with a guy I know, and he seems to think Seamonkey won't be around much longer due to the whole xul/xpcom thing.

Posted August 3rd, 2018, 7:44 am
Well, to put it bluntly, as I mentioned here, SM doesn't have a future.

Posted May 2nd, 2019, 3:50 am
Will there be new releases? SeaMonkey is my favorite web browser and cause of history it's one of the important programs that should be saved for the future.

Posted May 7th, 2022, 1:05 pm
I for one certainly hope development continues.

Posted April 4th, 2024, 9:08 pm
I heard SeaMonkey may be on its last legs. Is this true?

Posted June 10th, 2025, 4:21 am
With Firefox now discontinued and Mozilla now developing only the the privacy toolbox for Chrome is it true that SeaMonkey will be discontinued too?

Posted August 20th, 2027, 10:13 pm
I can no longer access the new Google web with SeaMonkey! What should I do?

Posted December 8th 30000000, 3:27 am Last post before the Sun explodes.
Will SeaMonkey still work after the sun explodes?
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Thanks, f-r - that's one plucky browser suite! ;)

I wonder what computer architectures will look like when SeaMonkey and our planet near their respective end-of-life experiences... and will we still be hopefully checking the WG9s site for the latest builds? :)
kjojo

Post by kjojo »

Last week I organized a giant project meeting for 16 people in 9 different locations. Files and media were passed around, it was orderly, it was secure and private, and those unable to attend received a full transcript immediately at the meeting's conclusion.

All of this was obtained using not Zoom, nor Slack, nor Teams, but this brand-new, cutting-edge technology called irc using Chatzilla in SeaMonkey released in 2005...
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

kjojo wrote:All of this was obtained using not Zoom, nor Slack, nor Teams, but this brand-new, cutting-edge technology called irc using Chatzilla in SeaMonkey released in 2005...
Way to go! =D> I still really like IRC.... I wish more people used it.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)
kjojo

Post by kjojo »

davidb_sk wrote: I still really like IRC.... I wish more people used it.
Funny you should say that, because pretty much everybody said some variation of "Wow! There are WAY more people on here than I thought there would be!" after seeing the general EFnet room list.

But then again, I think they expected to see six rooms with 2-3 users per...
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Back to the subject of this thread, "The future of Seamonkey?".

I sincerely hope that SeaMonkey maintains a bright future, but would like some thoughts on this question --> Given the increasing number of sites that won't work with SeaMonkey, is it likely that eventually very few, if any, sites will work with SeaMonkey?

Any thoughts?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kjojo

Post by kjojo »

Peter Creasey wrote:Given the increasing number of sites that won't work with SeaMonkey, is it likely that eventually very few, if any, sites will work with SeaMonkey?

Any thoughts?
I don't know if you've ever done any work in web dev, but there's a maxim "If it doesn't work in SeaMonkey, it doesn't need to be there"
I've moved to software dev, but I was among the web people last week and heard what appeared to be a 21/22-year-old mutter it.

So, if it stays reasonably up-to-date (as it has for the past 18 or whatever years) it will be fine.

As goes another maxim: "Cockroaches and SeaMonkey"
drew77

Post by drew77 »

kjojo wrote:Last week I organized a giant project meeting for 16 people in 9 different locations. Files and media were passed around, it was orderly, it was secure and private, and those unable to attend received a full transcript immediately at the meeting's conclusion.

All of this was obtained using not Zoom, nor Slack, nor Teams, but this brand-new, cutting-edge technology called irc using Chatzilla in SeaMonkey released in 2005...
Can Chatzilla still be installed in Seamonkey?

I could not find it.
kjojo

Post by kjojo »

drew77 wrote:Can Chatzilla still be installed in Seamonkey?

I could not find it.
It's pre-installed. Click the "cz" in the lower left corner of the browser window

davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Peter Creasey wrote:Given the increasing number of sites that won't work with SeaMonkey, is it likely that eventually very few, if any, sites will work with SeaMonkey?
It will always work on the sites I make and maintain. So, there will be at least a couple sites you'll always be able to visit as long as I'm still kickin'! :D
kjojo wrote:"If it doesn't work in SeaMonkey, it doesn't need to be there"
+1
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)
frg

Post by frg »

> Given the increasing number of sites that won't work with SeaMonkey, is it likely that eventually very few, if any, sites will work with SeaMonkey?

> Any thoughts?

Yes search the forum and enjoy groundhog day. We do what we can and that is all which has been, will be and can be stated. Use a different browser for non working sites or switch browsers.

FRG