The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
bluewizard

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by bluewizard »

Above someone said they would like Seamonkey to appear more like Firefox. I don't like the Firefox screen too many icons and not enough words.

On my Seamonkey screen, to the extent that I can control, there are NO ICONS. Nothing makes more sense that simply placing the word FILE, EDIT, VIEW, GO, ... etc on the screen, and WORDS take up much less screen real estate. And ...believe it or not... "FILE" is much more intuitive than silly squiggles and swirls on the tool bar. Though for me, COMPACT is the key issue, words are far more compact that Icons. Though also, as mentioned far more intuitive. File means FILE, Edit means EDIT. I don't have to try and remember what some vague squiggly image is suppose to mean.

There is one thing I desperately need though, and I'm not sure it would be possible, but SCRIPT MANAGER.

If anything locks up Seamonkey or slows my Browsing experience to a crawl, it is psycho-scripts gone astray. When script stalls or go into an infinite loop or just generally crashes, it would be nice to bring up a list of running scripts and to be able to kill one specific script that is causing the problem. Yes, if I want 20 minutes with a stalled browser, a window will pop up asking me if I want to let the Script run or kill it, but that's 20 minutes of my time wasted.

Steve/bluewizard
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

bluewizard wrote:Above someone said they would like Seamonkey to appear more like Firefox. I don't like the Firefox screen too many icons and not enough words.

On my Seamonkey screen, to the extent that I can control, there are NO ICONS. Nothing makes more sense that simply placing the word FILE, EDIT, VIEW, GO, ... etc on the screen, and WORDS take up much less screen real estate. And ...believe it or not... "FILE" is much more intuitive than silly squiggles and swirls on the tool bar. Though for me, COMPACT is the key issue, words are far more compact that Icons. Though also, as mentioned far more intuitive. File means FILE, Edit means EDIT. I don't have to try and remember what some vague squiggly image is suppose to mean.

There is one thing I desperately need though, and I'm not sure it would be possible, but SCRIPT MANAGER.

If anything locks up Seamonkey or slows my Browsing experience to a crawl, it is psycho-scripts gone astray. When script stalls or go into an infinite loop or just generally crashes, it would be nice to bring up a list of running scripts and to be able to kill one specific script that is causing the problem. Yes, if I want 20 minutes with a stalled browser, a window will pop up asking me if I want to let the Script run or kill it, but that's 20 minutes of my time wasted.

Steve/bluewizard
See: Integer prefs in about:config, values in seconds, zero means "forever".
Best regards,
Tony
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

OK, that looks helpful, I will check it out in detail later. Thanks.

I'm confused though, Isn't the Integer the time allowed for the script to stall before It is reported. So, FIVE would be what - 5 seconds, 5 minutes? And therefore shouldn't ZERO be Zero time, or not at all?

Again, I just glanced at the links, will look in more detail later.

STeve/bluewizard
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

bluewizard wrote:OK, that looks helpful, I will check it out in detail later. Thanks.

I'm confused though, Isn't the Integer the time allowed for the script to stall before It is reported. So, FIVE would be what - 5 seconds, 5 minutes? And therefore shouldn't ZERO be Zero time, or not at all?

Again, I just glanced at the links, will look in more detail later.

STeve/bluewizard
FIVE (in letters) is invalid. 5 (in digits) means the script is allowed to run continuously for 5 seconds before you get the dialog offering you to kill the script or to let it go on. Killing all scripts before they even run wouldn't make sense, so by convention — and since there is no way to express "infinity" as an integer — if the value of the pref is zero (or negative) scripts are let run forever and the dialog never appears.
Best regards,
Tony
bluewizard

Post by bluewizard »

Thanks to all. I'll try these and see how it works.

Steve/bluewizard
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

Why akalla is down?
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Indeed - for the last couple of days, the mozilla-community.org domain has not been resolving.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

RDaneel wrote:Indeed - for the last couple of days, the mozilla-community.org domain has not been resolving.
This is being tracked by mozilla in bug 1383642.
Diamanti

Post by Diamanti »

domain resolved but akalla not found.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

Diamanti wrote:domain resolved but akalla not found.
Akalla is aware of it and is asking for ETA as to when his stuff will be back online. might take a few more days.
James

Post by James »

4td8s wrote:
Diamanti wrote:domain resolved but akalla not found.
Akalla is aware of it and is asking for ETA as to when his stuff will be back online. might take a few more days.
The same link was mentioned in the bug 1383642 mentioned on Wed.
isaacschemm wrote:
RDaneel wrote:Indeed - for the last couple of days, the mozilla-community.org domain has not been resolving.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

James wrote: The same link was mentioned in the bug 1383642 mentioned on Wed.
isaacschemm wrote:
seems like the OVH server problems are taking longer to fix and Akalla is still waiting for a status report
frg

Post by frg »

Good news: The ESR 52 based 2.49.x releases will be supported till 08/28/2018.
Bad news: The next ESR will be 60 which will allow Mozilla to yank out more stuff and replace it either with gobblygook or nothing.. 59 is bad already when it comes to classic extensions support.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

frg wrote:Good news: The ESR 52 based 2.49.x releases will be supported till 08/28/2018.
Bad news: The next ESR will be 60 which will allow Mozilla to yank out more stuff and replace it either with gobblygook or nothing.. 59 is bad already when it comes to classic extensions support.
Did they not get around to updating the wiki yet?

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar

Where was this announcement made?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
frg

Post by frg »

> Where was this announcement made?

Got it today via an internal council mail.

First details here:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/EnterprisePolicies

The calendars should be changed soon I think.

Not sure why they care now so much about ESR customers now when they neglected them for years but looking at 57+ usage stats I have a hunch...

FRG