Will they ever fix the RAM hog thing?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Melissa2009B

Will they ever fix the RAM hog thing?

Post by Melissa2009B »

Please bear with me - I'm a novice as far as code and all - don't know a thing.

But if I leave SeaMonkey running on my Win 7 PC ( Asus Essentio with 8 GB RAM ) it starts creeping up into using 450-500 megs of RAM, sometimes approaching 1 GB, and when it gets up to about 500, it starts seriously slowing down my PC and I have to close it and restart.

I'm wondering if part of this is due to my Bookmarks file, which I think is about 90 megs by now, after all these years.

But are they ever going to fix this?
Melissa
barbaz

Re: Will they ever fix the RAM hog thing?

Post by barbaz »

You're running a long-outdated version of SeaMonkey.. what makes you so sure "they" haven't already fix it?

If upgrading to SeaMonkey 2.39 (if you can) doesn't seem to help, does the problem occur in a clean profile?
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

It's always been my understanding that software releases ranged from big ( entire version updates, like V 2 to V3 ) to miniscule ( 2.32 to 2.39 ) and SM always seems to be doing what appear to be miniscule ones, so I don't download huge files for that. Am I wrong?
Melissa
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's also very much dependent on what pages you are viewing when this is happening. And 500MB is not a great deal of RAM for a browser given the content of many web pages these days. With 8GB of RAM you should not be having problems with only 500MB in use for browsing.
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

All I know is that when it gets up there, the PC starts slowing, and when it gets over 500, things start really slowing.

I just upped it to 2.39.
Last edited by Melissa2009B on January 17th, 2016, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melissa
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Melissa2009B wrote:It's always been my understanding that software releases ranged from big ( entire version updates, like V 2 to V3 ) to miniscule ( 2.32 to 2.39 ) and SM always seems to be doing what appear to be miniscule ones, so I don't download huge files for that. Am I wrong?
Only kind-of. SeaMonkey shares backend with Firefox and follows Firefox's major versions. The SeaMonkey version numbers have for some time been structured like this:

Code: Select all

SeaMonkey/2.<Firefox major version minus 3>[.<minor version AKA point release number>]
where the part in brackets is only included if the point release number isn't 0

So I guess it's up to you whether you want to consider an update to a new major version of the Firefox backend, to be a major or minor change... either way, SeaMonkey updates have various security and stability fixes which includes fixing stuff like this, so can't hurt to try the current release here.
James

Post by James »

Melissa2009B wrote:It's always been my understanding that software releases ranged from big ( entire version updates, like V 2 to V3 ) to miniscule ( 2.32 to 2.39 ) and SM always seems to be doing what appear to be miniscule ones, so I don't download huge files for that. Am I wrong?
The 2.32, 2.33, 2.35, 2.38, 2.39 were new Major Releases. The updates like 2.32.1, 2.33.1 were the minor updates which are done for reasons like security, stability fixes, etc.

SeaMonkey does not increase version number quite like Firefox does. The number after 2. is a full version like 2.thirty-eight, 2.thirty-nine. There may not even be a 3.x version anytime soon if ever.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

I know of at least one major project that's been going for over a decade and still on "version 0.x".
Firefox and Chrome, by contrast, increment the "major version" number with every release, regardless of how little has changed.

Basically, version numbers mean whatever the project wants them to mean. They aren't comparable between programs, only between versions of the same program.