Prognathous

Is mozdev still being maintained?

Post by Prognathous »

I'm getting "502 Bad Gateway" when I try to access it:

http://www.mozdev.org/
Anonymosity

Re: Is mozdev still being maintained?

Post by Anonymosity »

The sites downloads.mozdev.org & xsidebar.mozdev.org still work. Pages for specific extensions still work also, for instance:
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I thought I'd bump this thread to ask the same question. The site seems to work, and some of the projects it hosts have recent commits to their repositories, but some pages on the site are returning Drupal errors, the last news item posted is from 2010, and the home page describes the site in the past tense (emphasis mine):
The mozdev.org site provided free project hosting for Mozilla applications and extensions. Developers have many choices for free project hosting today, but this was the only service that was specifically tailored to the needs of the Mozilla community.
Did I miss some announcement that mozdev.org was shutting down? If so, why are several projects still seemingly active?
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Psychonaut wrote:I thought I'd bump this thread to ask the same question. The site seems to work, and some of the projects it hosts have recent commits to their repositories, but some pages on the site are returning Drupal errors, the last news item posted is from 2010, and the home page describes the site in the past tense (emphasis mine):
The mozdev.org site provided free project hosting for Mozilla applications and extensions. Developers have many choices for free project hosting today, but this was the only service that was specifically tailored to the needs of the Mozilla community.
Did I miss some announcement that mozdev.org was shutting down? If so, why are several projects still seemingly active?
You should have asked in a new thread. A mod might split it into a new topic later (OP necroposted).

MozDev is still technically in operations, but on a community volunteer level since Mozilla pulled most official support. Any projects on MozDev that are still active either run on a hybrid development nature (like have pages here to drive people to the products, but hold actual development material elsewhere), are fine with using what's left of MozDev despite there being better options elsewhere, or are too big to move elsewhere. That's probably why MozDev's remaining community staff haven't turned out the lights and servers completely.

As for Drupal errors, MozDev turned off Drupal support ages ago due to security vulnerabilities. They don't have anyone volunteering to fix it and considering how long it's been, it probably will never be fixed.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Ngamer01 wrote:You should have asked in a new thread. A mod might split it into a new topic later (OP necroposted).
Sorry. I contribute to a lot of forums with differing rules about whether a new question about an old topic should recycle an old thread or use a new one; most of them seem to default to the former. Is there a sticky that explains the preferred practice for this forum? I didn't see anything in the rules about it.
MozDev is still technically in operations, but on a community volunteer level since Mozilla pulled most official support. Any projects on MozDev that are still active either run on a hybrid development nature (like have pages here to drive people to the products, but hold actual development material elsewhere), are fine with using what's left of MozDev despite there being better options elsewhere, or are too big to move elsewhere. That's probably why MozDev's remaining community staff haven't turned out the lights and servers completely.

As for Drupal errors, MozDev turned off Drupal support ages ago due to security vulnerabilities. They don't have anyone volunteering to fix it and considering how long it's been, it probably will never be fixed.
Thanks for the explanation. So if I'm looking to start a new add-on, or fork an existing one, then it looks like it might be better to host it elsewhere, huh?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

What about the Thunderbird addons site? That is where the SeaMonkey stuff went.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Psychonaut wrote:Sorry. I contribute to a lot of forums with differing rules about whether a new question about an old topic should recycle an old thread or use a new one; most of them seem to default to the former. Is there a sticky that explains the preferred practice for this forum? I didn't see anything in the rules about it.
As far as I know, most bumps to old threads are usually off-topic and are locked as off-topic. There's no public listing of a necropost rule as far as I know, but the mods have locked old threads recently bumped up. My thought process is this, if it's not on page 1 of a board, leave it be. For those slower boards though, you might do better on a time frame like leave anything over 2 weeks alone.

The only time necroposts would be ok is if it's on-topic and brings considerable discussion potential. Bumping an old topic for a semi-related issue or an unrelated matter isn't going to fly. If you're ever not sure, feel free to PM a mod for advice or ask in the moderation topic over in the Mozillazine Site Discussion board.
Psychonaut wrote:Thanks for the explanation. So if I'm looking to start a new add-on, or fork an existing one, then it looks like it might be better to host it elsewhere, huh?
I would say so.
Anonymosity wrote:What about the Thunderbird addons site? That is where the SeaMonkey stuff went.
It was moved here: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/

It's no longer synch'd to AMO though. Any Firefox dev that also manages Thunderbird and/or Seamonkey add-ons will need to use their Firefox and Thunderbird Add-ons accounts to manage their add-ons they've developed. It's likely the move to split Thunderbird and Seamonkey add-ons to their own site will result in lesser add-on support from devs that don't want to manage add-ons in two or more places. I've already seen this with some Persona makers that haven't transferred their Firefox personas to Thunderbird/Seamonkey since the site split.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Anonymosity wrote:What about the Thunderbird addons site? That is where the SeaMonkey stuff went.
That doesn't offer any sort of development or collaboration tools, though, does it? MozDev offers projects a full website, a source code repository, an issue tracker, and mailing lists. Correct me if I'm wrong, but addons.thunderbird.net offers projects only a single web page and hosting for the binary release.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

My personal preference as a mod is that if the discussion adds value or insight and if the OP doesn't complain about unwanted spam in their inbox because they are getting notifications about a thread they don't care about, I'll let the discussion continue. Other mods have differing opinions.

The discussion about what is considered necroposting really belonged more in a PM or in the Site Discussion forum.

I'll leave this be for now, provided it remains on topic.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
therube

Post by therube »

[ATN] That doesn't offer any sort of development or collaboration tools, though, does it?
No.
No different in that respect from addons.mozilla.org [AMO].
(And that is to be expected, considering Mozilla is against collaborative development.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript