Finished with SeaMonkey

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Ianpb

Finished with SeaMonkey

Post by Ianpb »

I'm finished with SeaMonkey.

I moved to it after becoming sick and tired of Chrome's slowness and its constant stress on my CPU when scrolling, but have been finding really annoying issues with SeaMonkey itself. I visit newspaper websites regularly but, like Chrome, SeaMonkey gets slow and jerky as my CPU gets ever more stressed out. I'm also finding that when I pause Youtube videos for about a minute they often refuse to restart without a complete page refresh. Furthermore, when I attempt to write to forums that are driven by Disqus, the comment box frequently ceases to function, thus requiring a page refresh - until it decides to cease up again. Another irritation is that pressing either the <Esc> key or the browser's 'Stop' button fails to halt further loading of the web page, leaving me to wonder why the 'Stop' button is even there! Last week I suffered my first ever browser crash (it just disappeared!), which required a Windows reboot to restore functionality, and that was with SeaMonkey. It's truly a browser that's all at sea.

After doing more research, I found plenty of plaudits for the Pale Moon browser, and have been running it for the last few days. What a difference! I now enjoy smooth scrolling on news websites with less stress on the CPU, and all the other issues I found with SeaMonkey are gone.

So, farewell SeaMonkey, the experience was not a good one.
DanRaisch

Re: Finished with SeaMonkey

Post by DanRaisch »

Pale Moon browser, and have been running it for the last few days.
Your choice. Enjoy.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I, you should realize that you are an extreme minority (perhaps minority of one!?!) with your rejection of SM.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

If both Chrome and SeaMonkey experiencing the same sorts of issues after a while of usage, expect that Pale Moon likely experience it as well eventually. When most people have browser problem, they try to fix it or get help fixing it, not just install another browser...

Changing browsers like that is running away from a greater problem that's going to catch up to you when you run out of different browsers to install.

Anyway, as DanRaisch said it's your choice. Enjoy Pale Moon, it's a nice browser.
Bye! =;
frg

Post by frg »

Well using no Script- and Adblocker is asking for trouble on 90% of todays so called major websites. If you see a dozen or more websites blocked which otherwise would do nothing but track you and/or showing ads you know what happens to you poor cpu when you let them loose...

Pale Moon uses an older but optimized version of the Gecko engine. I am quite sure when he runs the next updated Pale Moon based on Firefox 38 the problems come back...

Anyway no great loss. It's still a free world.

FRG
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Never ever experienced any issues such as a browser crash with SeaMonkey and then needed to proceed with a Windows reboot to restore functionality. :?
Have used the browser for many, many, many years without any of those issues occurring.
My own personal computers...one with Windows 7 and the other with Linux Mint.
Use this browser on a daily basis for my personal use and also professionally.
This browser is also loaded on our test computers(in the IT department where I work) with all of the different OS'S.
And these are over forty computers in total.
Haven't seen the issues as described on our test computers either.
SeaMonkey is an EXCELLENT browser and as an IT professional I highly recommend it to all my clients.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

LuvKomputrs wrote:Never ever experienced any issues such as a browser crash with SeaMonkey and then needed to proceed with a Windows reboot to restore functionality. :?
I have, on rare occasion, seen what I believe was his problem. A phantom seamonkey process gets stuck. There are no visible windows, taskbar icons, or other interface, but seamonkey.exe resides in the process list, and trying to open a browser just gets a "seamonkey is already running" error.

You don't have to reboot the entire computer to fix it, though, and I'm pretty sure he will be seeing the same issues in Pale Moon once that new browser smell wears off, because pebcak everything is terrible.
therube

Post by therube »

seamonkey.exe resides in the process list, and trying to open a browser just gets a "seamonkey is already running" error
That's understandable.
So you kill the seamonkey.exe process, then you can open anew.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

While do not currently share the OP's issues, and my own "Not Responding" issues are a lot less frequent, I suddenly find I can't post any Tweets on Twitter
anymore with SeaMonkey. I can no longer "Tweet To" any specific Twitter members, I can't send any Direct Messages to any Twitter members, and I can
no longer post any Tweets on my own Twitter feed. I have to use another browser to post anything on Twitter. SeaMonkey no longer works
for this purpose, so I'm now using the Chromium based Vivaldi as my Twitter browser!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ianpb wrote:I'm finished with SeaMonkey.
- now if you just finish with the crystal meth as well you'll be good to go.

Btw I finished with Winamp around 3 years back. No one cared about that either.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

LuvKomputrs wrote:Never ever experienced any issues such as a browser crash with SeaMonkey and then needed to proceed with a Windows reboot to restore functionality. :?
Have used the browser for many, many, many years without any of those issues occurring.
My own personal computers...one with Windows 7 and the other with Linux Mint.
Use this browser on a daily basis for my personal use and also professionally.
This browser is also loaded on our test computers(in the IT department where I work) with all of the different OS'S.
And these are over forty computers in total.
Haven't seen the issues as described on our test computers either.
SeaMonkey is an EXCELLENT browser and as an IT professional I highly recommend it to all my clients.
my sentiments exactly.
though I'm using adrian kalla's latest unofficial win64 SM builds on my Win7 & Win8.1 computers which almost never have any problems.

oh well I guess the OP is finished making the only post here about SM..hee hee. :D
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

The only sporadic operational issues I have with SM are usually not browser-faulted - either a third-party CDN server is slow, or a plug-in is acting up. The only SM-specific issue is at Chase.com since their last "update", as it will no longer recognize SM as a "current" browser or relative of Firefox (forces me to use Edge or IE to reach that account). I did notify Chase web support about it, showing them the build string that does include the Firefox code.

While not a fan of what Firefox has become over the years (from lean/mean to equally bloated as the others), I remain a supporter of the basic form, dating back to Netscape Navigator that I first used with MSDOS 6.2/Windows 3.1. As long as SM keeps reasonably current and efficient, I'll stick with it.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Ed_P

Post by Ed_P »

> Netscape Navigator that I first used with MSDOS 6.2/Windows 3.1

I remember those days. And the Mosaic browser before it. And CompuServe. Ah, the good ole days. :)
Ed
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Ed, I still use the Compuserve Classic email address as my primary one.

Also, the CIS boards are still active albeit not on the level they once were.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete