PDF link forces download instead of open document

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
therube

Re: PDF link forces download instead of open document

Post by therube »

"application/octet-stream", so it wants to download, as to be expected.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
macamba

Post by macamba »

Andy Boze wrote:
macamba wrote:The webmaster informed me (translated):
whether the message is displayed in the browser, rather than directly downloading, it is a setting of the corresponding browser.
Only sort of true. The browser is still responding to what the server directs it to do as a result of the MIME type chosen for the file. It would be a lot easier to diagnose this if you could give us the URL for the page in question. Is it something you have to log in to access?
Alas, I have to log in to access the website.
Andy Boze wrote:Try clicking this link http://www3.nd.edu/~fboze/pdftest/test.pdf. Do you get something the same as or different from the link you're having trouble with?
Your normal run of the mill dialogue you would expect:

And I tried your suggestion and choose "Use other..." then select Adobe Reader." It did not give my joy. I went directly to the 'Save as' dialogue, without the option to open it in any application.
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

macamba wrote:Your normal run of the mill dialogue you would expect:
Except the picture does not show the normal run-of-the-mill dialog. The second option "Open in browser as" was added by the "Open in Browser" extension. Try changing it from "Text" to "PDF" and see what happens.
But then again, I may be wrong.
macamba

Post by macamba »

I tried it. And indeed, the pdf is opened in the browser. Luckily the browser offered the 'Open with' - 'Adobe ..', which I prefer.
Andy Boze wrote:
macamba wrote:The following images displays my settings. What should I change, if any?
What are on the dropdowns beside application/force-download and application/json? I doubt it will help, but try clicking "Use other..." then select Adobe Reader.
I did. And after rebooting the browser and clicking your link the browser went directly to the 'Save as' dialogue. I did change that back.

Looking at what I tried based on all your suggestions is that the website developer forces me directly to the 'Save as' dialogue. Is that the correct conclusion? Then they did not listen to my complaint, and I have to endure it. :furious:
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

macamba wrote:Looking at what I tried based on all your suggestions is that the website developer forces me directly to the 'Save as' dialogue. Is that the correct conclusion? Then they did not listen to my complaint, and I have to endure it. :furious:
Yeah, that's probably what's going on.