[Beta 2.45] Warn about cookies

Post by TPR75 »

Hello, I saw discussion about cookies handling in newer versions:
http://logs.glob.uno/?c=mozilla%23seamo ... 16#c668721

Beta is available (but as "not digitally signed" version):
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/ni ... comm-beta/

After short test I can confirm there is no such option. My questions are:
1) will it be fixed in final release?
2) if not then how about workaround by adding preference "network.cookie.warnAboutCookies" (true)? Will it work?
3) Is "pref.advanced.cookies.disable_button.view_cookies" (false) required too?
--
frg

Re: [Beta 2.45] Warn about cookies

Post by frg »

>> 1) will it be fixed in final release?

No. This option is gone. You can thank the Firefox developers for it. See Bug 606655 Bug 1234875 Bug 1235199 and Bug 1245110.

I backed them out in my private builds but they are not available for mass or public distribution.

>> 2) if not then how about workaround by adding preference "network.cookie.warnAboutCookies" (true)? Will it work?

No the option is gone.

>> 3) Is "pref.advanced.cookies.disable_button.view_cookies" (false) required too?

Don't know this one.

In short. There is no 1:1 replacement available and it s*cks.

Btw. 2.45+ releases currently suffer from a broken location bar so better do not use it. Fix is working already but not reviewed yet.

FRG
frg

Post by frg »

Btw. If someone compiles locally and wants to back it out too I can provide an up to date patch for 2.44 to 2.47.
therube

Post by therube »

Do a search in the FF forums & you'll likely come up with a few threads about "cookie* warn*".
I'd suspect no one on that end came up with a viable "fix".
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

No cookie warn? But... but... this is madness! We can say "good bye" to our privacy. It will be total invigilation because setting cookies "to block them all" will cause most sites useless and "allow all" will be hell to users and "paradise" for marketoids. Madness!
--
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

You can default to blocking cookies but make exceptions for those that you need. If you use a cookie manager, it will make the process of doing exceptions easier.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Thank you. What an awful discussion. Users have problem but some experienced (advanced?) users are arrogant and playing "white knights" for Mozilla stupid (and very dangerous) move while completely not understanding or even ignoring what users are asking for.

SeaMonkey code depends heavily on Firefox... but not completely. Is it possible that "our" coders could make some exception/workaround to re-enable such extremely important and useful function? I mean "ask every time" for cookies.

Suggestions in that "FF44 third party cookies" thread are like: "Did you hurt your toe? Cut your leg off so you will not have problems with your toes. Here, take this instruction how to make wooden prosthesis. And there is another one, how to carry parrot on your shoulder". Thanks but no thanks.

I'll stick with present version of SeaMonkey as long as it will be possible. What in future? I don't know but I don't see in such future any browser from Mozilla (or Gecko based). Sorry. Right now we're minority and even Fx is going down so future belongs to Google/Alphabet browsers... and it means we're all doomed!

](*,)
--
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Someday there will probably be a separation between SeaMonkey and Firefox (although I don't think it will be as soon as some people do.) But it would be a shame if this feature gets lost over time and doesn't come back when the split happens.
I think it might be nice to have a central place to keep track of mozilla-central patches people might want to include in their private builds.
frg

Post by frg »

>> Someday there will probably be a separation between SeaMonkey and Firefox (although I don't think it will be as soon as some
>> people do.) But it would be a shame if this feature gets lost over time and doesn't come back when the split happens.

If I am still around, Seamonkey is still around and the patch could still be maintained then be sure it will be included. Currently it's just a simple patch but this might change. Another feature for this to work is also on the Mozilla hit list but even this one can be ported back easily.

FRG
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

Cool. Glad to know it's on your radar.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

frg wrote:If I am still around, Seamonkey is still around and the patch could still be maintained then be sure it will be included. Currently it's just a simple patch but this might change. Another feature for this to work is also on the Mozilla hit list but even this one can be ported back easily.
It's good to have you around SeaMonkey... 8-) ... and other contributors too... =D>

Simple patch? How about for next release (2.45 maybe)? :-k
--
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

The cookie handling issue was the main reason I left Firefox. I could almost put up with the stupid small icons in the toolbars, but not the cookie issue. Hate to see it might happen here on Seamonkey. I use Pale Moon also and its pretty good but I've had issues with some websites using it. Never with Seamonkey. Funny as I type this, I see on Cnets site an article - Firefox will get overhall to try to get you interested again in it. Good luck with that...
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

I've tested next compilation (20160725022235):
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14662667

... and so far there is no solution for "ask every time" cookie problem. Is it planned for this release? Or maybe it will be skipped like Mozilla wants?
--
frg

Post by frg »

>> Is it planned for this release?

No. If you want and trust me I can send you a private en-US or de build.

>> Or maybe it will be skipped like Mozilla wants?

It will not be restored in official builds for now. Seamonkey does not have the manpower to track and maintain abandoned features right now. We barely can keep up with the changes in the mozilla source tree. Sorry

FRG