"Upgraded" from Windows 7 to 10. Now mailto: not working

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Melissa2009B

"Upgraded" from Windows 7 to 10. Now mailto: not working

Post by Melissa2009B »

OK, I spent almost a DAY "upgrading" from Windows 7 to Windows 10, between Sunday afternoon and Monday at 12:30 PM. Finally got my Wifi working again, which wasn't easy - the driver got completely wiped by Windows 10.

Anyway, now I go to Seamonkey and browse some, and click a mailto: link for an email to start in my Pegasus Mail, and zip!
Nada.

Anyone know how I can redirect things again?

Thanks!

I need a t-shirt now, that says; "I upgraded to Windows 10. I can survive ANYTHING!".
:twisted:
Melissa
Ztruker

Re: "Upgraded" from Windows 7 to 10. Now mailto: not working

Post by Ztruker »

Edit, Preferences, Helper Applications.
Scroll down to mailto and click on it.
In the drop down box choose Use other...
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Ztruker wrote:Edit, Preferences, Helper Applications.
Scroll down to mailto and click on it.
In the drop down box choose Use other...
It was already set to Use Pegasus Mail Wsend. I just changed to Use Pegasus Mail, and will see if that works. Thanks.
Melissa
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

What is the value of "network.protocol-handler.external.mailto" in about:config? If it's not set to 'true' then double-click it to change it to true and restart SM.
frg

Post by frg »

Is Pegasus Mail the default email program in Windows 10?

New Settings dialog -> Default Apps -> Email

Personally unless you are a hardcore gamer and need DX12 I would call Windows 10 a downgrade :) After 2020 I will likely switch to Linux or still run 7 until the hardware gives up.

FRG
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

raj_bhaskar wrote:What is the value of "network.protocol-handler.external.mailto" in about:config? If it's not set to 'true' then double-click it to change it to true and restart SM.
It was set to True already.
Melissa
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

frg wrote:Is Pegasus Mail the default email program in Windows 10?

New Settings dialog -> Default Apps -> Email

Personally unless you are a hardcore gamer and need DX12 I would call Windows 10 a downgrade :) After 2020 I will likely switch to Linux or still run 7 until the hardware gives up.

FRG
It's set to Pegasus Mail WSENDTO Utility.

As far as Win 7, I thought they'd stopped supporting it, with updates and security patches, so figured I might as well do this.
Melissa
frg

Post by frg »

>> As far as Win 7, I thought they'd stopped supporting it, with updates and security patches, so figured I might as well do this.

Fully supported till 01/14/2020. Only mainstream support ended so no new features but otherwise safe.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... fact-sheet

The freebie win 10 license will expire as soon as you change the motherboard or network card so be careful.
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

frg wrote: Personally unless you are a hardcore gamer and need DX12 I would call Windows 10 a downgrade :) After 2020 I will likely switch to Linux or still run 7 until the hardware gives up.
FRG
Actually, I'm finding that some things run better and faster on Windows 10. Some programs that were having problems before, don't now. It's growing on me, now that I solved most of the big initial problems.
Melissa
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

frg wrote:>> As far as Win 7, I thought they'd stopped supporting it, with updates and security patches, so figured I might as well do this.

Fully supported till 01/14/2020. Only mainstream support ended so no new features but otherwise safe.
Oh.
The freebie win 10 license will expire as soon as you change the motherboard or network card so be careful.
Hmm.. Not likely. I bought this Asus Essentio refurbished, maybe 6 years ago. Refurbs are a good deal. 2.5 GHz quad core with 8GB RAM. ( Not sure if the quad core worked well with Win 7, but maybe now with 10? )

Don't do gaming. My one and only game is chess, and always has been. I have AI Factory's "Chess Free" app for my phone, but paid $1 for the registered version. Wish they would make it for the PC too - I like it.
Melissa
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

frg wrote:>>The freebie win 10 license will expire as soon as you change the motherboard or network card so be careful.
If you upgrade the mother board then yes, you will probably not be able to activate it as that is considered a new system.
If you replace with the identical mother board then it will activate and may not even require reactivation.

Network card change, no. You can change it as often as you want and it will still activate.

This is also true for Vista, Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
therube

Post by therube »

I go to Seamonkey and browse some, and click a mailto: link
And what happens if you click a mailto: link in IE?
frg wrote:Is Pegasus Mail the default email program in Windows 10?
Heh, no. (Though perhaps Win10 would be improved if it was.)
Pegasus Mail "is a[n] ... electronic mail client ... A proven product ... released in 1990".
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

therube wrote:
I go to Seamonkey and browse some, and click a mailto: link
And what happens if you click a mailto: link in IE?
Same thing. couldn't communicate with Pegasus Mail.

I don't see why Windows 10 couldn't just import all the settings from Win 7.
Melissa
therube

Post by therube »

As I suspected.
I think you're going to have to look on the Windows end of things & presumably Win10 specific end.
Maybe URLProtocolView might provide some insight?
Run it, search in there on "mailto", see what it shows for that, & then maybe figure out if it is (now) different from earlier OS versions, or just what Win10 might not be liking about it?
You would figure that others would have run into similar? Pegasus have forums? Or maybe a "mailto: Windows 10 not working" type of search?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

therube wrote:
As I suspected.
I think you're going to have to look on the Windows end of things & presumably Win10 specific end.
Maybe URLProtocolView might provide some insight?
For up to Win 98?!

This utility works on the following operating systems: Windows 98/ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista.

Oh, I've been asking in the Pegasus support forums too, and no one knows how to solve this.
Melissa