Google maps not working sometimes in SM with Windows 10 now

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Melissa2009B

Google maps not working sometimes in SM with Windows 10 now

Post by Melissa2009B »

Since upgrading to Windows 10 recently, Google Maps still works if I go to that page, but if I put in something like "restaurants" in Google, then that small map comes up and I click on it, I just get a blank page now.
Melissa
RDaneel

Re: Google maps not working sometimes in SM with Windows 10

Post by RDaneel »

Well, I can "sort of" confirm this... using the latest "Adrian" 64-bit build of 2.46 "beta" (and yes, latest Win10), when I click on the small map I get a new version of my original results page, but with a new top column-header line showing "Rating Cuisine Price Hours" dropdowns at the top of what would be search results - is this what you are seeing?

Interestingly, viewing the page source at this point gives 258 *long* lines of mostly javascript, but some content...
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Exactly!
Melissa
frg

Post by frg »

Interesting. Works in 7 but I do not see how this is a Seamonkey error.

Timestamp: 8/8/2016 12:26:58 PM
Error: The resource from “https://consent.google.com/status?conti ... 1470651964” was blocked due to MIME type mismatch (X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff).
Source File: https://www.google.de/search?hl=de&sour ... uche&gbv=2
Line: 0
frg

Post by frg »

The nosbiff errror does also occur on 7 but there the map is shown. No explanation other than its likely not a Seamonkey bug. You can try to use a custom browser version for google if it works with Firefox.
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

If it's not a SM error, whose error is it? Should it be reported to Gmaps, if they will listen?
Melissa
frg

Post by frg »

>> If it's not a SM error, whose error is it? Should it be reported to Gmaps, if they will listen?

It also occurs with Windows 8.1. Does it also happen if you set your useragent to genunine Firefox? The it might just be bad browser sniffing code.

The page rendering code is the same as in Firefox aka the Gecko engine. The differences in the frontend code should not cause this.

FRG
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

I looked up useragent - apparently a plugin. Let me see...
Melissa
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Just wanted to say (in support of "bad browser sniffing code") that this does work now - evil Windows 10 and all, using the Adrian-supplied 64-bit 2.46 beta, at least using the supplied link above in frg's earlier post. :)

And since noscript (of course) didn't have javascript enabled for the German incarnation of Google, I got to see their reasonably entertaining "turn on your javascript, dude" error page. ;)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RDaneel wrote:Just wanted to say (in support of "bad browser sniffing code") that this does work now
Yep, just use a site specific UA string override for Google, like I had to do with Facebook recently. Sites seem obsessed with browser sniffing lately.

In other words, instead of chase.com, you do a google.com version - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14638145
Last edited by Frank Lion on August 8th, 2016, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

In case I wasn't clear (it looks like I wasn't), I was trying to make the point that this now works without any change on my end - including UA adjustment/forging. ;)

The implication as I see it is that Google fixed the bogus "sniffing", if this was indeed the cause of the issue...
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

If you do the lookup with Google Maps, does that work? That would be more practical anyway, right?
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Sure, that works fine - we have just been talking about the specific experience reported by the OP.

Which is "more correct" is a choice issue, I think some people - likely even Google themselves - prefer to not use the explicit "maps" interface, and do everything through the "primary" Google interface/page.

But I am not a "Google Maps" expert, and don't even play one on television. ;)
Melissa2009B

Post by Melissa2009B »

Yeah, plain old Google Maps works. It's these imbedded Google Maps. Like if I search for: Italian Restaurant Denver Colorado, and it shows results with a map that can be clicked on. I click on the map so I can have a look around me, and get a blank page with some menu stuff at the top.
Melissa
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

Only problem I had in Google maps in Seamonkey was the 3d function doesn't work. Which I never use anyway.