Plugin from extension loaded on one PC, not on the other

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
isaacschemm

Plugin from extension loaded on one PC, not on the other

Post by isaacschemm »

I've had the Fire IE extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... n/fire-ie/) installed for a while. I use the same profile on 2 different computers, both running akalla's latest 32-bit Windows comm-release build (2.46) - I copy the profile on a thumbdrive and replace it when I switch to the other computer.

Today, SeaMonkey's updater.exe ran, then the plugin that comes with the Fire IE extension stopped showing up in my plugins list in Add-On Manager - in fact, I only see Flash and Silverlight there. I copied this profile onto the other computer, and Fire IE worked there; I copied it back, and it doesn't work here.

I'm not sure whether updater.exe actually updated SeaMonkey or not - I'll check the other computer's build ID later to see if it's the same as this one (20160922153204).

EDIT: The other computer (where Fire IE is working) is 20160923004119. Did it update to an older build? At this point I might as well wait until either an official 2.46 comes out or 2.47 moves into comm-release.
isaacschemm

Re: Plugin from extension loaded on one PC, not on the other

Post by isaacschemm »

Problem solved - it was running 64-bit SeaMonkey. Instead of trying to patch or rebuild it, I just installed the 32-bit version.
therube

Post by therube »

in fact, I only see Flash and Silverlight there
So that was the clue.
(FF, & it seems SeaMonkey too) x64 only support Flash & Silverlight (& no other Plugins).

The Fire IE AMO page even mentions that:
If you are using the official x64 version of Firefox and has encountered the "Fire IE DLL not loaded" popup:

Due to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1165981, Mozilla has disabled all plugins except Adobe Flash in the official x64 version, which breaks Fire IE.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

therube wrote:(FF, & it seems SeaMonkey too) x64 only support Flash & Silverlight (& no other Plugins).
Yes, that's Core code. In fact, Firefox trunk (52.0) is now blocking anything but Flash on all platforms, which SeaMonkey would "inherit" from 2.49 or 2.50 onward.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

rsx11m wrote:
therube wrote:(FF, & it seems SeaMonkey too) x64 only support Flash & Silverlight (& no other Plugins).
Yes, that's Core code. In fact, Firefox trunk (52.0) is now blocking anything but Flash on all platforms, which SeaMonkey would "inherit" from 2.49 or 2.50 onward.
Oh well. I don't really need Fire IE anyway - it's just nice to have once in a while.
James

Post by James »

rsx11m wrote:
For the Firefox 52.0 and later Releases yes while the Firefox 52.0 ESR branch will still allow other Plugins to run. Though in Win64 case it will be 64-bit Flash and Silverlight as been mentioned.

Bug 1269807 - (npapi-eol) Remove support for all NPAPI plugins (except Flash)

WinXP and Vista support is in talks of being dropped so perhaps 53.0 and later Releases will not run on WinXP and Vista. So things will be interesting with people being annoyed by either or both of these changes then.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

James wrote:For the Firefox 52.0 and later Releases yes while the Firefox 52.0 ESR branch will still allow other Plugins to run. Though in Win64 case it will be 64-bit Flash and Silverlight as been mentioned.
True, but from SeaMonkey's perspective, it would only be relevant if SM 2.49+ releases come from the ESR branch (which is considered as an option but not yet decided upon). There won't be both SM "retail" and ESR builds in parallel as with Firefox.