What is the Most Recent and Stable Version of SeaMonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
cuppettcj

What is the Most Recent and Stable Version of SeaMonkey?

Post by cuppettcj »

Hello All,

I really like SeaMonkey since I started using it about 15 months ago. I started on version 2.39. Since then I upgraded to 2.40 when it came out. Obviously, there have been huge problems with getting a new release version of SeaMonkey out the door. I've been following the SeaMonkey Project Blog and it looks like ewong is still stuck trying to fix bug 1231349 for the past month, with no end in sight.

I hate using beta software and don't want to go with something unstable, but I am growing tiresome with all of the "your browser is out-of-date" warnings that I've been getting on all of my banks' websites. In your all's humble opinions, which is the best/most recent/most stable version of SeaMonkey that I should upgrade to in the meantime until an official release is ever ready? In addition to links, anything you all can add regarding stability or quality of the build would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
barbaz

Re: What is the Most Recent and Stable Version of SeaMonkey?

Post by barbaz »

I've used 2.46 as my daily browser for some time, and it works fine for me.

You can get official build at https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/c ... es/build6/
cuppettcj

Post by cuppettcj »

barbaz wrote:I've used 2.46 as my daily browser for some time, and it works fine for me.

You can get official build at https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/c ... es/build6/
Hi barbaz, thanks for the link. I assume the win32 installer is in the "unsigned" directory? I will give it a shot.

Do you happen to use the "Mail & Newsgroups" feature of SeaMonkey? Are there any issues with 2.46 regarding that feature that you are aware of?

Thanks
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome.
cuppettcj wrote:I assume the win32 installer is in the "unsigned" directory? I will give it a shot.
Yes, that looks to be in https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/c ... ned/win32/
cuppettcj wrote:Do you happen to use the "Mail & Newsgroups" feature of SeaMonkey?
I do, but I use a customised and outdated version of SeaMonkey for that, so I've no idea what that's like in 2.46.
cuppettcj

Post by cuppettcj »

barbaz wrote:
cuppettcj wrote:Do you happen to use the "Mail & Newsgroups" feature of SeaMonkey?
I do, but I use a customised and outdated version of SeaMonkey for that, so I've no idea what that's like in 2.46.
Out of curiosity, why do you do that?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Note that what I do there is *not* recommended! Outdated SeaMonkey versions have publicly known vulnerabilities, so don't try this unless you're sure of what you're getting into.

Anyway...
cuppettcj wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you do that?
It's a stability thing. I pick a version that works for me and stick with it for however long.

For one thing, I sometimes use beta versions as my everyday browser. I can't afford that sort of playing around with my email.

Also, if I don't update my mail-SeaMonkey, my extensions for Mail (most of which I wrote or forked) won't break on me. And unlike browsing the web, up-to-date technology is not a requirement to properly read emails.

Yeah, theoretically I'd lose out on security this way. But I changed settings to harden Mail and I run it in a sandbox.

So if you're not a power user, this is unwise and I wouldn't suggest it.
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

I had been going back and forth between 2.40, betas, and candidates for a while this year. I'm also a Chase customer, and we know how they are about SeaMonkey. In 2.40, I was using the IE useragent override, which worked just fine. But other sites are also coming up with the outdated-browser warning, including my cable company. I tried the most recent 2.46 candidate again, and while chase.com displays the outdated-browser warning (odd since 2.46 is Fx49 - only one version back), it does accept it to login. But then, I got what was almost a non-GUI page. It displayed nothing besides my balance and a pay link for my credit account... not even the Chase logo in a banner. Didn't like that, so I quickly bailed.

I'll try again when 2.46 is in final release, but for now, I'm using Fx50 with some extensions to make it look/behave more like SeaMonkey. All my usual sites work and I get a nice plain interface, instead of all the file-folder-tab-shaped cutouts and hidden menus. Keeping my fingers crossed that 2.46 can get its bug delays ironed out.

In case anyone cares, these are the appearance extensions I'm using:
- Classic Theme Restorer 1.5.9
- Classic Toolbar Buttons 1.5.3
- Configuration Mania 25.0.0
- Menu on Top 1.3
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

MdniteEagl wrote:[...]while chase.com displays the outdated-browser warning (odd since 2.46 is Fx49 - only one version back), it does accept it to login. But then, I got what was almost a non-GUI page. It displayed nothing besides my balance and a pay link for my credit account... not even the Chase logo in a banner. Didn't like that, so I quickly bailed.

I'll try again when 2.46 is in final release[...]
It's not about unofficial 2.46 but it's about Chase.com (and other sites) who is dealing with "non-standard" browsers. There are two thing you can do:
1) complain to Chase.com about very bad customer support/handling/dealing with because they are blocking you from use of browser you like (compatible with W3C)
2) tune a little User Agent for workaround: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14638145

EDIT: Damn those grammar! I'm going to sleep. Good night... #-o
--
frg

Post by frg »

This is not a 2.46 problem and a final version won't help. Complain to the website owners or stop using services from the ones that snub you. They may not care but you should.

FRG
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

frg wrote:This is not a 2.46 problem and a final version won't help. Complain to the website owners or stop using services from the ones that snub you. They may not care but you should.

FRG
Being that my cable company is also my ISP and telephone service, I can't stop using them as there are no wired alternatives. They read SeaMonkey just fine, but they are also reading the build date - that's how they are generating the dated-browser message. As for Chase, I already said I was using the useragent override in 2.40 and that worked just fine. I was trying 2.46 with a clean profile to see what would happen. I've already brought the SeaMonkey issue to their attention.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0