Is SeaMonkey x64 in the works?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
JohnB_XP

Is SeaMonkey x64 in the works?

Post by JohnB_XP »

There's an older thread about SeaMonkey x64 but that's from 2012 or somethin when Firefox was still working on 64 bit. The 64 bit Firefox is done and stable, will there be a 64 bit build of SeaMonkey? Looks like 64 bit Firefox is more stable and secure?
Proud BlackBerry and SeaMonkey user!
TPR75

Re: Is SeaMonkey x64 in the works?

Post by TPR75 »

JohnB_XP wrote:[...]will there be a 64 bit build of SeaMonkey?
Maybe will be but so far you can test ("use") unofficial version:
https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... windows64/

Remember to make backup of your profile first before you'll run "update".
--
frg

Post by frg »

This is tracked in bug 482143. I thought it could probably be done for 2.47 but with all the delays 2.48 is more likely now. But not a final target either. Use Adrians build in the mean time. x64 is stable. Using locally compiled builds since 2.40 or 2.41. Not sure.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=482143
James

Post by James »

JohnB_XP wrote:will there be a 64 bit build of SeaMonkey?
I take it you mean Win64 SeaMonkey and not 64-bit for Windows, Mac and Linux.

The people behind SeaMonkey have their hands full with issues in trying to get a current Release out as is to be spending resources on Win64 SeaMonkey for Release.

Unlike with 64-bit Mac and 64-bit Linux (still yet to fully support) where 64-bit builds are needed to run more so, the Win64 builds for Windows are not needed so much.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

plus the win64 builds of SM only benefit those Windows users who have 4Gb of RAM or more and using minimum dual-core modern AMD or Intel processor
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Another "vote of confidence" for Adrian's unofficial x64 Windows builds here... I have been using these for over a year now - including Lightning for the past 6 months, and typically I am running the latest x64 BETA builds (see my browser "sig" line below) on my Win 10 system. :)

Note that this is my primary development box, with SM handling my over-20-years of POP email for me, and since switching to these x64 builds, I have seen possibly 1-2 browser crashes, but have never lost a single email message.

One of the things I like the best about these x64 Windows SM builds is a perceived increase in stability, particularly when I have had 10-20 (and more) tabs open in a browser instance that has been up for days - in the 32-bit builds, I start seeing increasing "lag" in response to keystrokes as the process working set size approaches 1 GB, eventually becoming unusable - with the x64 builds, this effect is either entirely absent, or greatly reduced - even with larger than 1 GB working sets (corresponding in my case to a ~2.5 GB virtual size).
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Sadly though, no support for Vista or XP x64 Edition. I used an unofficial version of 64-bit SeaMonkey back in 2013, with XP x64 Edition. It was a sweet setup.
:)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
James

Post by James »

JodyThornton wrote:Sadly though, no support for Vista or XP x64 Edition. I used an unofficial version of 64-bit SeaMonkey back in 2013, with XP x64 Edition. It was a sweet setup.
Win64 Firefox requires 64-bit Windows 7, 8 (8.1), 10. Also WinXP and Vista support is being dropped as of Firefox 53.0 (Gecko 53.0) and later. The next major version of ESR will be on Fx 52.0.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

James wrote:
JodyThornton wrote:Sadly though, no support for Vista or XP x64 Edition. I used an unofficial version of 64-bit SeaMonkey back in 2013, with XP x64 Edition. It was a sweet setup.
Win64 Firefox requires 64-bit Windows 7, 8 (8.1), 10. Also WinXP and Vista support is being dropped as of Firefox 53.0 (Gecko 53.0) and later. The next major version of ESR will be on Fx 52.0.
I'm well aware. I always thought of SeaMonkey as a more classic browser though. It goes well with XP. Anyway, yes bye to XP support.
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
frg

Post by frg »

>> Anyway, yes bye to XP support.

Yeahh. I wish they whould have supported it till 2019 when WEPOS support ends. But an official or unofficial 2.49ESR will at least extend it. Ripped out the last parts of XP and Vista from the installer for 2.50 and now its truely gone. End of an era. I hope ReactOS is usable 2020. Windows 10 sure isn't and won't be...

FRG
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

So is SeaMonkey also dropping XP support shortly? I'm talking the x86 version now of course.
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
frg

Post by frg »

In 2.50. Is/was unmaintable with Mozilla removing it from the Gecko source also.
Last edited by frg on January 1st, 2017, 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Wow. So what happens? Since SeaMonkey has no ESR version, is there any fallback?

I recall when Frank Lion posted this.
Frank Lion wrote:SM will be fine, it's just that people from outside just aren't used to seeing stuff written honestly as here, but always with the best spin put on everything. I find the SM dev approach to things very refreshing and don't give a damn what bad signs or otherwise it gives out.
I didn't agree then, and I'm glad I stuck with my gut. You know when something is doomed. And sorry, but spin or even lack of spin can tell you a lot. :(
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
frg

Post by frg »

>> Since SeaMonkey has no ESR version, is there any fallback?

Chances are very high that 2.49 will get the ESR treatment.

FRG
James

Post by James »

Another reason for the Gecko 52.0 that the ESR will be on is to still use Plugins.