SeaMonkey 2.46 has been released !!!

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
ndebord

Re: SeaMonkey 2.46 has been released !!!

Post by ndebord »

Just went to Chase... no more problems with Seamonkey 2.46... They had a banner ad that required a click on, which did not work, but with a refresh, the page vanished and everything works the way it used to. Nice
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Jekyll

Post by Jekyll »

raj_bhaskar wrote:For anyone using old themes (Pinball is still the best!) and using 'previous session' on startup, I was getting a blank screen and an error in the JS console. I had to copy \chrome\toolkit\skin\classic\mozapps\places out of omni.ja into my theme's mozapps\ folder. That fixed the problem (if on Windows, 7-zip won't open omni-ja, you'll have to get something like WinRAR). After a quick spin everything else seems okay.

Thanks to everyone involved for all the work in getting the build out :).
I am experiencing same problem - restoring previous session is not working for me. I am always getting blank page. Does anyone know, how can I fix it? Thanks.
MdniteEagl

Post by MdniteEagl »

cuppettcj wrote:
Skynet1 wrote:It's a Christmas miracle!
Updated 2 W/10 computers and so far no issues.
Installed Lighting 5.1b1 beta and it's working.
Wonder if Chase bank will let me back in with the newly updated SeaMonkey.....
=D>
Using 2.46 Candidate 9, I still get a warning on Chase.com. However, I can still log in and use the site without issues.
The release 2.46 gives the same banner warning. It will let you log in, but then I got nothing at all. So whatever getarounds you used in 2.40 or earlier for Chase, keep them for 2.46.
Tower: HP EliteDesk 705 G3 - Win 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 1500 - 64GB (4x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Laptop: HP ZBook 17 G4 - Win 10 Pro for Workstations - Intel Xeon E3-1535M - 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 - Fox 77.0.1/TB 68.9/Edge 83.0
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Just want to so "thank you" to the SeaMonkey developers for getting 2.46 out to us!

Also, thanks to the folks who operate this forum and those who help out the users.

Justin
casper1975

Post by casper1975 »

I'd really like to come back to SeaMonkey but I'm being held back because of no Sync & it's a pain having to insert passwords any news on when Sync will be coming to SeaMonkey?.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I have installed v2.46 on Precise Puppy v5.7.1. The system font is HUGE. I attempted downloading the Theme and Font Size Changer, but there is no button or toolbar menu to run it with. Is there any way to easily change SeaMonkey's system font?
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

See here Jody...WFM on Windows where the font size increased somewhat... haven't updated my Pups yet.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2803433
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I appreciate your getting back to me. I was speaking of the UI font though. My entire system (menus, title bar and buttons) are set to 9pt Helvetica Bold (gives a bit of an OS/2 expreience). But in SesMonkey, the system font is wide and bolded (DejaVu Sans maybe, not sure)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

JodyThornton wrote:I appreciate your getting back to me. I was speaking of the UI font though. My entire system (menus, title bar and buttons) are set to 9pt Helvetica Bold (gives a bit of an OS/2 expreience). But in SesMonkey, the system font is wide and bolded (DejaVu Sans maybe, not sure)
SeaMonkey windows version can be tweaked a little (fix for bold/blurred fonts):
1) disable hardware acceleration,
2) about:config -> search for "GFX" -> "gfx.direct2d.disabled" set to "true"
3) about:config -> add "layout.paint_rects_separately" as Boolean and set to "false".
... but I don't know if Linux version is affected by "system's font settings".
--
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I was able to use the "Global Font" setting in userChrome.css. It allows a change to a more narrow Arial-style font. Also long as you specify the pitch size (9pt, 10pt, etc) it will shrink or enlarge the size of the font for you. But if you specify Verdana, Sans, Liberation, DejaVu.... it changes nothing. Weird.

In any case, I have the browser looking more usable now. But I wonder what changes in Gecko 49 to make the system font go bust from before. On v2.40 and before, it simply took my Helvetica font that was the system font everywhere else, and used that.
:(
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
frg

Post by frg »

2.46 was build with gtk2 as was 2.40. Adrians versions are build with gtk3. Both are problematic. gtk2 might go away any time soon and who knows how the backend font support was changed. gtk3 can look like sh*t depending on theme and still might have problems. I wish someone would resurrect the qt support.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I almost wished I stayed with v2.40 ...lol. I oroginally installed SeaMonkey using a PUP Package three years ago. So I only used the automatic updates to upgrade. Would the 2.46 beta have been any better?

As I say, at least it's working. But the changes and omissions (ChatZilla, Lightning, etc) make you wonder about SeaMonkey's future. People seem hopeful about it, but it seems grim to me

I sorta see SeaMonkey like this: You see someone below a cliff, hanging on to a branch to stop themselves from being dragged away with the flowing rapids/water. You shout down to them,
"Hey You OK down there?"
They reply, "Oh sure I'm fine. As soon as I get out of this predicament, I'm going to make some big plans next week, after all it's New Years' you, know? and on and on, ... " They deny the situation they're in and make it sound like they have a big future ahead. You look away for a second, and look back down. THEY"RE GONE!

That's SeaMonkey :(
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
frg

Post by frg »

>> As I say, at least it's working. But the changes and omissions (ChatZilla, Lightning, etc) make you wonder about SeaMonkey's future.

This was mostly a build bot problem. SeaMonkey builders are old and upgrading the builders will probably not happen. Next try to get extensions bundled with 2.48. Windows builders are broken for almost 2 years now (building is done manually on a loaner so its likely x64 versions will not be created either because of manpower needed) and my personal opinion is that Mozilla just stalls and ignores the request for upgrading them. They are moving to cloud based builders and I suspect hope to leave us in the dust if they even know SeaMonkey still exists...

The source code is mostly good shape and has a few more releases in it. All extensions build fine locally as you can see with Adrians versions. Known errors in 2.49 and 2.50 are being fixed and not many really bad left.

>> People seem hopeful about it, but it seems grim to me

Well people seem grim but I do not see most of them supporting the project either. Even a small donation from everyone would help. Or testing new releases or or or... As always TANSTAAFL.

Reminds me of my OS/2 time. We want this and that and that too software but in the end nobody didn't want to pay a dollar for it. Together with IBM truly bungling it you know the result.

Next decision is if SeaMonkey does a 2.49ESR and the next afterward is likely if own builders can be used/installed somewhere.

FRG
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

JodyThornton wrote:I sorta see SeaMonkey like this: You see someone below a cliff, hanging on to a branch to stop themselves from being dragged away with the flowing rapids/water. You shout down to them,
"Hey You OK down there?"
They reply, "Oh sure I'm fine. As soon as I get out of this predicament, I'm going to make some big plans next week, after all it's New Years' you, know? and on and on, ... " They deny the situation they're in
Who is denying that SeaMonkey is about to have a significant predicament to solve? Can you please link to this?
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I quoted Frank Lion. Besides, I'm not sure it's a solvable situation. Frank Lion too has since changed his stance. I'm not trying to argue, just stating an opinion, that's all; no need to go defending myself. Boy, people get heated on forums. My New Years' resolution is to read provoking comments and say "Meh!"
:)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)