SeaMonkey 2.46 new profile won''t work

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
farkle

SeaMonkey 2.46 new profile won''t work

Post by farkle »

I was rebuilding my profile when 2.46 arrived. When I started to bring stuff across nothing seemed to work.

Bookmarks were the first issue. Copying the 2.40 version of bookmarks.html in to the new profile did not give me any bookmarks. Exporting HTML and importing into the new profile also seemed to give no bookmarks. When I went poking around in the sidebar for bookmarks I found the front part of the file under Other Bookmarks. Eventually I found that the whole structure - many folders and included individual bookmarks - but it did not load the bookmark toolbar.

I then found that the bookmarks are loaded in to Places.Sqlite, which is exactly in contradiction to what I read in the Knowledge base. In fact the old profile also has the bookmarks in Places.Sqlite, and fill out the bookmark toolbar as I expected - about 20 folders with dropdowns etc.

Then I tried to bring across cookies and passwords. Copies of key3.db, signons.sqlite, permissions.sqlite do not appear to be visible to SeaMonkey in the new profile. No data in cookie manager, no passwords in password manager. The new profile will show any password set in the new profile, but no data from the old version.

At some point I realized a new virgin profile includes a places.sqlite file that is the same size as the old profile. I now have 4 different new profiles and all start with places from the old version. WUWT??

I cannot find anything to indicate a new procedure for migrating to a new profile. Can someone point me to such a thing?
I have come to the conclusion that going back to 2.40 is impossible. I have backups of everything, but I don't know when the new regime started and which backups to trust.

This is all under Windows 10. Both 2.40 and 2.46 versions of SeaMonkey work well on the system, although 2.46 seems slower.
Any direction/assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ross
therube

Re: SeaMonkey 2.46 new profile won''t work

Post by therube »

> When I started to bring stuff across nothing seemed to work.

From what version of SeaMonkey were you bringing stuff across from?

> bookmarks.html

By default does not import nor export.
Possible it is a "legacy" file, or that you did set it to export on the old end.

> bookmarks are loaded in to Places.Sqlite

Bookmarks have been stored in places.sqlite for quite a while now.
All you should need to do is to copy places.sqlite from the old to the new (with SeaMonkey closed).

> No data in cookie manager, no passwords in password manager.

Are you sure you are copying the data into the Profile you are actually running?
Check about:support, check the Profile location, verify that it is there that you are copying data into (& that you are doing that with SeaMonkey closed).

> a new virgin profile includes a places.sqlite file that is the same size as the old profile

She told me that size doesn't matter ;-).
And it doesn't, necessarily. By default (I think it is) places.sqlite starts out ("empty") at ~10 MB, & then increases in size, as need, again around 10 MB a pop.

> going back to 2.40 is impossible

Sure its possible.
And give that you have backups - which is the way to do it, considering going back & forth between different browser versions - with the same Profile can be problematic.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_set ... ew_profile
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

There is a setting browser.places.importBookmarksHTML. If set to true it will autoimport a bookmarks.html. Not recommended unless used with export too. I would juts import them manually.
farkle

Post by farkle »

Thank you both for the input.

A good nites sleep and some common sense solved the problem.

I carefully copied all the sqlite databases, Key3db and logins.json. Pasted them to the new version [absolutely bare bones] and I now have all the bookmarks, cookies and passwords, plus the bookmarks are formatted on the tool bar as they should be.

I am not sure if this is the right way to migrate to a new profile, but it works for me. It definitely does not follow the directions in the knowledgebase. If I have missed anything please let me know. There are lots of parts of SeaMonkey I only visit occasionally.

Incidentally I am working from a profile that originated in 2.40, upgraded to 2.46, and has worked properly. The new one is to get rid of some of the junk from the past.

Thanks again for the help

Ross