2.46 yea or nay?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

2.46 yea or nay?

Post by Peter Creasey »

Using Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, I am a VERY basic SeaMonkey user i.e. few or no extensions.

I've read the comments here and also read the release notes about SeaMonkey 2.46. As a result, I am (nervously) wondering if updating to 2.46 is wise for someone like me who doesn't have the time and probably not the know-how to manage work-arounds if they're needed.

Should I go ahead and update to 2.46 with my PCs?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
barbaz

Re: 2.46 yea or nay?

Post by barbaz »

I still say this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14725839

All the workarounds I can recall using for 2.46 wouldn't apply to you.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Using Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, I am a VERY basic SeaMonkey user i.e. few or no extensions...

...Should I go ahead and update to 2.46 with my PCs?
All you need to do before updating is to back up your profile first and you should be backing that up periodically anyway. Doing this means that you can very quickly (5 mins) put everything back exactly as it was, if an update doesn't work out or suit you. You simply install the older version again and put back your saved backup.

So far, so good and you'll see that advice around a lot. What is sometimes missing is exactly how to do your backup very easily. So, here's how -

#1. SM Menu > Help > Troubleshooting Information > click 'Open Folder'/Directory, etc. button....and a Windows Explorer window will appear.

#2. Exit SM.

#3. The Explorer window is showing you all the files in your profile - if nothing else, just select the lot, copy them and paste them into a folder you've made in My Docs.

#4. However, a better way is the navigate up in that window (use the Up Arrow) until you can see by the window header that you are in Apps Data (about 4 clicks of the arrow) Select the folder called Mozilla and copy and paste it straight into My Docs or onto a flashdrive, etc. Somewhere safe anyway. Finally, rename that saved folder to Mozilla-2.40.

#5. You're done.

Having done that, you then update to SM 2.46.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

DISREGARD - I figured this out.

Frank, etal,

Okay, I did the update to 2.46 and (I believe) managed to select my desired search engine.

However, I lost my bar at the top with <Back> <Forward> <Reload> <Stop> <URL space> <Search><Print>. How do I restore this bar?

Thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Right click the menubar and make sure that Navigation Toolbar is checked. Or View -> Show/Hide.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks, Frank, and everyone. All seems to be fine now.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete