The State of the SeaMonkey Union!

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Re: The State of the SeaMonkey Union!

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:Well some of Franks comments did not go well with me. Lecturing and giving advice is ok but in the end something needs to be done. Sounds too much about "I don't care and don't want to be involved but if you do this magically everything will be great".
You might want to brush up on your reading analysis skills in that case, chum. Ask yourself, with Pat MIA, who is the one person around here who already knows how to implement #1 and who has been writing themes using that method for the last 3 years? Who had already written #3?

You think I didn't already know that when I wrote the post? Pre-judge a situation, as you did, and you'll end up looking like a fool. So, no, some of your comments did not go well with me either.
Actually I like the urls
What you like, what I like, doesn't matter a damn. Until people actually understand what the term ' user choice' actually means, without immediately going on the defensive, then there will be a damn steep hill to climb on this stuff.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
#Sun-Glasses

Post by #Sun-Glasses »

Is censoring posts your hobby, Frank Lion? Honestly, what was wrong with the content? Freezing SeaMonkey at a certain version is a bad idea regardless if you delete posts here or not.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote:Speaking as a SeaMonkey user, which you appear not to be, I wouldn't mind SeaMonkey temporarily 'falling behind' in that way as long as the websites I need keep working fine.
LewS wrote:Frank Lion's "a frozen SM 49ESR build for a few years"
is exactly what I would like to see - say 2 years, at least,
since Firefox will take at least that long to get everything
they've got going settled down and stable.
Yep, not an ideal solution *, but as anyone who has been in real life sticky situations already knows, in a tough spot with limited resources, you don't whinge, you don't moan, you knuckle down and get the job done with what you have. You survive and go on.

* indeed, not even intended as a solution, as such. If you read it in context, you'll see I made just a passing suggestion based on how I sense the SM userbase feels about this.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I could live with a frozen SM; HOWEVER, it will likely be impossible to regain any positive momentum after such a freeze interim.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

As said, there are no plans to freeze SeaMonkey development, just to be clear about that. The only thing that will happen with 2.49 that - like Thunderbird now and effectively SeaMonkey releases before 2.2 - no new features will be visible for the user for a couple of releases while development continues in the background, to allow stable releases while figuring out the consequences of whatever Mozilla is doing with the Core code and what the alternatives are.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:I could live with a frozen SM; HOWEVER, it will likely be impossible to regain any positive momentum after such a freeze interim.
Just to clarify, Peter, it is the releases that get frozen, not the entire project development!

So I don't keep being misquoted on this, how about I repeat the original -
Frank Lion wrote:then I feel that most SM users would be happy with a frozen SM 49ESR build for a few years at least.
It means that the stream of public releases stop and that allows the developers to step off that treadmill to re-assess their priorities and goals and allows them to concentrate on new ideas/methods behind the scenes. It's a tried and tested path that does work. However, it does require a flexibility of approach, an open mind and lateral thinking on the part of the devs, otherwise it will go nowhere.

Some projects lend themselves to this approach and some don't.

So, that's all I meant by that.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Frank Lion wrote:It means that the stream of public releases stop and that allows the developers to step off that treadmill to re-assess their priorities and goals and allows them to concentrate on new ideas/methods behind the scenes.
Correct, that's the plan for SM 2.49.x for as long as the 52 ESR branch is supported. After that, it will have to be seen what 2.56 can be based on.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

That's good news...thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LewS

Post by LewS »

In my earlier post jumping at Frank Lion's suggestion to
"freeze" SeaMonkey, I did not intend to imply that it would
be untouched but rather an extended esr. Just how much
security patches from Fx 57+ could be adapted to 2.49esr
based on Fx 52esr is the key question.

Frank's explanation of what he meant is pretty much the
way I understood it, and what I think would be most useful.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm....Has the SeaMonkey Council ever considered Crowdfunding ? :-k
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

mightyglydd wrote:Hmm....Has the SeaMonkey Council ever considered Crowdfunding ? :-k
Hmm… I wonder if we have enough of a "crowd"; but in fact it has, see the "Donate" link on the SeaMonkey homepage, which leads to https://www.seamonkey-project.org/donate/. I suppose every eurocent we get can help.
Best regards,
Tony
mitrichr

Post by mitrichr »

I just donated 20 Euros. Best I could do.

SeaMonkey is my default browser on four computers. It is way better than FF for my blog work.
http://sciencesprings.wordpress.com
http://facebook.com/sciencesprings
kmike

Post by kmike »

Is there a way to donate using a credit card but without Paypal?
mitrichr

Post by mitrichr »

kmike wrote:Is there a way to donate using a credit card but without Paypal?
Do you know something bad about Paypal?
http://sciencesprings.wordpress.com
http://facebook.com/sciencesprings
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

kmike wrote:Is there a way to donate using a credit card but without Paypal?
you dont have to use PayPal if you dont want to. just go to Payment type an select Card, an then write the Card Numbers in