Pin Tab & Other Tips.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Re: Pin Tab

Post by Frank Lion »

YouTube recently changed the position of their 'Autoplay Button' and even if logged in it reverts back to 'On' after a session, probably quite deliberately by YT.

The following in userContent.css makes the position of that button clearer -

Code: Select all

#toggleButton,.ytp-autonav-toggle-button { background:red !important;
box-shadow: none !important; }
Change the colour to whatever you want and I've also included the internal name of the previous autoplay button in the above code as well.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:An about:config entry this time - layout.css.devPixelsPerPx

Right click and select Modify and change the default value to 2. When you're finished just select Reset.

That's an entry I use to simulate HiDPI. As you'll see, normal pngs and jpgs look pretty fuzzy like that, which is why many these days use SVG images (those horrible simplistic outline things) which will resize to the larger size required.

Lot of work making SVGs and replacing the previous set. - I don't bother, I just use advanced .css coding to make the existing png images much sharper.

Anyway, that's what that setting does.
Frank,

Nice, no more fuzzy.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Here's a better version of the post above - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14882761

This one only shows the Autoplay button in red, when autoplay is on. -

/*Franks YT Autoplay button in red...*/
#toggleButton,.ytp-autonav-toggle-button[aria-checked="true"] {
 background:red !important;box-shadow: none !important; }
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/12/2 ... n-the-web/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Useful Tip :

If you want to play MP3 in your audio player of choice, instead of the miserable built-in thing in SM, then -

about:config > media.play-stand-alone and Toggle it to False.

...otherwise it will continue to ignore the mp3 player choice made in Edit>Prefs>Browser>Helper Applications.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Updated code for this one - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14871908

/*Franks styled gmail login page...*/
@-moz-document domain("accounts.google.com") {
body,.VmOpGe,#iinitialView {
	background-color: #71968E !important;
}		
.card,.signin-card,.mCAa0e,.LJtPoc,.xkfVF  {
	background-color: #AAC1BB !important;   
}}	
Above takes account of gmail's recent internal code changes and it goes in userContent.css.

Btw, while I remember, check this out - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14884722

That workaround is still valid, but Google 'not seeing' JS has, it seems, now spread to its search pages*, so a site specific override for google.com is now required to fix search and mail login. I think I just used a Firefox 65 UA to fix that one.

Don't forget, you will have to update any site specific UA overrides from time to time, so that you're not using some really old UA version string there.

* intermittently atm.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Tip for uBlock Origin users and, I imagine users of any other adblocker as well -

Be very cautious about using Cookie Notice blocking filters, for example : Prebake - Filter Obtrusive Cookie Notices

Most people assume that cookie notices are just display/don't display type things, but in a good number of cases they are also linked to the website's functionality. tl;dr? - hide the notice and bits of the site don't work right.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:Useful Tip :

If you want to play MP3 in your audio player of choice, instead of the miserable built-in thing in SM, then -

about:config > media.play-stand-alone and Toggle it to False.

...otherwise it will continue to ignore the mp3 player choice made in Edit>Prefs>Browser>Helper Applications.
Frank,

Nice, this lets me use my favorite MPC-HC.

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ndebord wrote:Nice, this lets me use my favorite MPC-HC.
Yep, there's a lot more controls/equaliser/etc on a proper media player.

Talking of which....the proper 'Open With' extension not only allows you to select multiple entries for multiple browsers to open a page/link with. In fact, you can make entries for it to open anything.

I have 1 entry to Open in Edge and another to Open with SM Player, which I use for YouTube pages/vids, giving me video controls to adjust the look/brightness/contrast/etc of said vid. Also useful for Vimeo vids and saves having to toggle media autoplay to true every time just to get Vimeo vids to play in the browser.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

If you're watching a live stream vid on YouTube then you might notice that the 'chat window' doesn't work and gives a 'Unsupported browser message. Now, those live chat things usually aren't very interesting, but, just in case - to get over this then just set SM to 'advertise as Firefox' (60) in Edit>Prefs>Adv>Https whatever.

You could instead, set a site specific override, but go no higher than Firefox 60 or the site will break and you will not see much of anything! i.e. if you set it to Firefox 65 or higher.

Now, a few words about 'generic' .css coding. This is where you deliberately use an effect that will ripple through the whole code. Most theme writers/coders don't use it because they find the effect unpredictable, but if you know your code then it will save an awful lot of time and I use it a lot. Examples would be hitting nodeName instead of id or class or just using * to define all text colours.

This approach also has the advantage to adapting (or seeming to) changes in the program or website, without you having to do anything. For example, 6+ years back I wrote a theme/style for YouTube pages (it's on that Sticky in Firefox General, near the end) and that's around 20 .css lines and survived the constant YouTube website changes, right up to a few months back. So...quick to write and needs little maintenance.

Recently though, the complex JS coding on YT has made it necessary to drop back to the very long slog method. Luckily, someone else has done it (200+ lines!) -

https://gist.github.com/chloechantelle/ ... b279f818ef

- that works pretty well on the latest YT (you put it in userContent.css) and just change some colours around and you're good to go.

You can also use generic type coding in .css for images..but, that's a subject for another day :)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
ndebord wrote:Nice, this lets me use my favorite MPC-HC.
Yep, there's a lot more controls/equaliser/etc on a proper media player.

Talking of which....the proper 'Open With' extension not only allows you to select multiple entries for multiple browsers to open a page/link with. In fact, you can make entries for it to open anything.

I have 1 entry to Open in Edge and another to Open with SM Player, which I use for YouTube pages/vids, giving me video controls to adjust the look/brightness/contrast/etc of said vid. Also useful for Vimeo vids and saves having to toggle media autoplay to true every time just to get Vimeo vids to play in the browser.
Frank Lion,

I saw that extenion too, but did not play with it (yet). I should revisit that. Thanks.

Nick
Last edited by ndebord on May 11th, 2021, 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Sometimes when starting to read a news/media article you get a 'To Continue,,,' message like this -

Just turn off JavaScript (I use a toggle button) refresh and continue reading the article.

That's it.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:Sometimes when starting to read a news/media article you get a 'To Continue,,,' message like this -

Just turn off JavaScript (I use a toggle button) refresh and continue reading the article.

That's it.
Frank,

Thanks a lot, that is so much easier than my method which was to copy the URL to the clipboard, close the page, clean data, toggle JS and paste the URL back in, which does the same as yours with, ah, more effort!

Nick
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ndebord wrote:Frank,

Thanks a lot
No problem. The codefishers Toggle JS button even has an option to Reload when turning JS on/off, so you don't even have to hit F5 to refresh the page.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
ndebord wrote:Frank,

Thanks a lot
No problem. The codefishers Toggle JS button even has an option to Reload when turning JS on/off, so you don't even have to hit F5 to refresh the page.
Frank,

Nice find. Didn't know that one.

Tks,

Nick
P.S. It works perfectly! How on earth did I miss that? No more missing stuff because of JS issues. Nice!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

I was looking at the Firefox forums and noticed a few people are adding .css code to rotate/twist the 'icons' (toolbar buttons). No idea why and they are writing 30+ lines slabs of code to do this.

It then occurred to me, that this code might be useful to people with sight problems, i.e. movement catches the attention, etc. So, I've quickly rewritten this, in my usual concise fashion, and really toned down just how much the buttons originally rotated! It goes below the namespace line in userChrome.css -

/*Franks rotate icons on hover*/
toolbarbutton:hover:not(.searchbar-engine-button) .toolbarbutton-icon {
    transform:rotate(15deg)!important;-moz-transform:rotate(15deg)!important;
}

/*Franks rotate icons on active (clicked)*/
toolbarbutton:active:not(.searchbar-engine-button) .toolbarbutton-icon {
    transform:rotate(30deg)!important;-moz-transform:rotate(30deg)!important;
}
It is a fairly amusing effect, but I can't see me using it for very long. :)

Edit
- the above stuff got me thinking - you can't use animation code in normal UI due to the CPU drain at user end, but how about just on hover on just one toolbar button?

The result - https://streamable.com/91l6hw

Now that is an effect I will be keeping, haha :P
Last edited by Frank Lion on July 2nd, 2021, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.